Loading...
07/11/2013 1 DONA ANA COUNTY JUVENILE JUSTICE CONTINUUM BOARD 2 July 11, 2013 3 4 Following are the summary minutes from the Dona Ana County Juvenile Justice 5 Continuum Board meeting held on Thursday, July 11, 2013, at 11 00 a.m , in 6 Conference Room 2007A of City Hall, 700 N Main, Las Cruces, New Mexico 7 8 MEMBERS PRESENT: David Dollahon (CLC - Chairperson) 9 Lt. Irene Alatorre (DAC Detention Center) 10 Katherine Cardon (Juvenile Drug Ct.) 11 Mark Johnston (CLC Parks & Rec. Dept.) 12 Jeanne Resendez (MV Hospital) 13 Honorable Marci Beyer (3�d Judicial District) 14 Lt. Joshua Flemming (DAC Detention Center) 15 Jose Frietze (FYI) 16 Dan Rosales (Third Judicial District Ct.) 17 Chief Richard Williams (LCPD) 18 Deborah Varol (Public Defender Dept.) 19 Stephanie Armitage (Unified Prevention) 20 21 MEMBERS ABSENT Mayor Ken Miyagishima (CLC) 22 Kasandra Gandara (CYFD Prot. Sery ) 23 Jay Wisner (CYFD Juv Probation) 24 Mary Helen Llanez (Catholic Diocese) 25 Sheriff Todd Garrison (DAC) 26 Steve Sanchez (LCPS) 27 28 OTHERS PRESENT- Councillor Olga Pedroza 29 Rory Rank (Public Defender Dept., retired) 30 Marie Duitman (PIO-Third Judicial Dist. Ct.) 31 Greg Worley 32 33 STAFF PRESENT. Amber Parker (Juvenile Justice Continuum Coord ) 34 Diana Garcia-Parra (Recording Secretary) 35 36 37 I. CALL TO ORDER— Board Chair 38 39 Meeting was called to order by Chairperson David Dollahon at 11 00 a m 40 41 II. ROLL CALL FOR QUORUM 42 43 Quorum present. 44 45 46 1 1 111. WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS 2 3 All present introduced themselves (see Members Present) 4 5 IV. PUBLIC COMMENT 6 7 None 8 9 V OLD BUSINESS 10 o Grant RFI 11 David Dollahon advised they did apply for a full amount, but did not get a full 12 amount awarded However, there may be additional funding, which will be 13 covered under new business. 14 15 o Subcommittee Development: Each Member Shall Volunteer for an 16 Area of Interest 17 Legislative, Training, Community Assessment& Strategic Planning, 18 Marketing & Media 19 Mr Dollahon stated this was a requirement of the grant that they have these 20 subcommittees. 21 22 Amber Parker asked for volunteers for each area and gave a brief overview of 23 each (volunteered member's names are indicated in each group) 24 25 Legislative would be geared towards our funding with the actual legislators A 26 person would work with those within our community to promote the programs and 27 services funded under the Continuum Grant. Honorable Marci Beyer, Jose 28 Frietze, Chief Richard Williams, Deborah Varol. 29 30 Trainin would develop the topics that the Board is interested in learning more 31 about, i e Juvenile Justice issues in our community specifically Amy Orlando, 32 Katherine Cardon 33 34 Community Assessment & Strategic Planning would mean going into the next 35 RFI, which is not expected for three to four years We will be asked to update 36 both our strategic plan and our community assessment. Dan Rosales, Stephanie 37 Armitage, David Dollahon, Joe Mestres. 38 39 Marketing and Media would like to develop a brochure that covers the Continuum 40 Program and any future initiatives that we take on to market to businesses and 41 other people that we might reach out too for additional funding, also, working on 42 a website specific for our Continuum There might be a possibility to be hosted 43 under the City's website, but they need technically interested persons to provide 44 feedback or commentary on what would be good for that. Lt. Joshua Flemming, 45 Jeanne Resendez, Mark Johnston, Stephanie Armitage 46 2 1 VI. NEW BUSINESS 2 o Summary of Juvenile Justice Continuum Grant Award for Dona Ana 3 County- Budget and Impact on Local Programs, Amber Parker, CLC 4 5 Ms Parker stated when they applied for the RFI, they were asked to make a very 6 conservative request. They were aware of the State funding availability issue 7 and decided against $300,000, but more conservatively $297,400 This funding 8 does not cover everything that they need to expand in the south county, but it is a 9 foot in the door to try to expand those services The RFI was submitted in 10 February and they received notice of the award for $275,000 a couple weeks 11 ago Their award last cycle was approximately $256,000 so it's a slight increase 12 13 Ms. Parker stated at the recent JJAC meeting, they were told that the grant 14 review subcommittee was made aware that they had a certain amount of money 15 to work with and everybody was allocated their funding based upon what the 16 grant subcommittee thought they had to work with. What came out is that there 17 is money that the grant subcommittee was not aware of and the budget was 18 bigger than what they knew they had So what will happen within the next year is 19 that the continuum will be able to submit another application for additional 20 funding on top of what they've already requested Note that there is no timeline 21 for this Ms. Parker went on to say that on July 10th, she was advised by Arturo 22 Naeglin, Federal Grants Program Manager, that the application that was 23 submitted in January will be considered for full funding They are having a 24 meeting July 15th to consider those applications in full, so there is a possibility 25 that without a new application, they may get the $297,400 they applied for In 26 addition, to be optimistic, they may also be able to apply for additional funding on 27 top of that. There is no guarantee they would receive it. They would need to 28 submit another application if they want additional funding, but there is going to be 29 an opportunity at some point to do that. 30 31 Ms Parker stated from this initial $275,000, JCP allocation is $179,500 and 32 JARC allocation is $95,500 Brian Kavanaugh and herself negotiated those 33 numbers based upon the expectation that they will at least receive the originally 34 applied for amount and that will be enough to carry them forward at this point. 35 However, it is not full funding for either of their programs for the services they 36 currently provide 37 38 Ms Parker advised that one of the concerns is that the State sent the contract 39 notice on Saturday, June 29th, and said the contract was attached to the email, 40 however, it was not. The email she received on that Saturday stated to return 41 all the documents, signed, by July 1St at 5 00 p m in order for funding to be 42 effective July 1St Monday morning, July 1St, Ms Parker received the contract 43 attached to the email, sent it through City Council, and had it signed on that day 44 It was then FedEx to CYFD and arrived there the morning of July 2nd She 45 received an email on July 3`d from the Grant Program Manager that stated the 46 following 3 1 "Please note that no services under this agreement are to be rendered until 2 you receive a fully executed agreement and purchase order" 3 4 Ms. Parker advised that she has not received it as of yet. On July Td she did 5 email Arturo asking when they can expect the P O Arturo advised that Ricky 6 Muniz, Contracts Coordinator, is working on getting it to them as soon as 7 possible from the Department of Finance and as soon as they receive the PO, it 8 will be scanned for authorization to start. Ms. Parker had gone on vacation, 9 however, she still has not received it. She emailed Arturo this morning and he 10 emailed the following back: 11 12 "1 sent an email to CYFD Contract Unit for an update. I will let you know as 13 soon as I get word " 14 15 Dan Rosales moved to apply for additional funding above the $297,000 for 16 services in the south valley 17 18 Jose Freitze seconded 19 20 David Dollahon suggested they charge the Executive Committee with developing 21 the information for additional funding in the event they have a deadline for the 22 RFI before October and then reporting back to the committee at the October 23 meeting 24 25 All in favor None opposed Motion carried 26 27 Ms Parker passed out a tentative JCP and JARC work plan, subject to funding, 28 that Brian Kavanaugh and Ms Parker prepared It states the outreach and goals 29 they will have with the first quarter for this money They intend to work with the 30 connections they already have in the south county to secure a location and to 31 work with JPO to start getting referrals for JCP3 32 33 Mr Dollahon stated the City is continuing funding of the JCP Program even 34 though they've started a new fiscal year and are still waiting on the contract. The 35 City has prepared a sub-contract for the JARC ready to sign, but cannot set the 36 effective date until they know they have the effective date from CYFD 37 38 Chief Williams asked if the board has had any conversations with law 39 enforcement agencies who are going to be truly feeding these programs. 40 41 Mr Parker stated yes, there has been outreach to Anthony PD and Sunland Park 42 PD In addition, Undersheriff Lerma was in attendance at the last meeting and 43 stated he would like to work on outreach with all of the departments as well The 44 majority of the outlying areas the JARC receives referrals from comes from the 45 Sheriffs Department and not through Anthony or Sunland Park PD, strictly 46 because of transportation issues The vision for the JARC expansion in the 4 1 south county at this point is to make sure that we do outreach with them, as well 2 as outreach with the schools to make sure that any kids who are cited, know 3 when the JARC person is available to them and to try to have some 4 communication between the Sheriffs office/Sunland Park PD and the JARC 5 mobile person Our next steps in the month of July and August are to outreach 6 with all of those local departments to make sure that we have a process. 7 8 Mr Rosales added that their office has held two town hall meetings in Sunland 9 Park and they have expressed the need The Chief of Sunland Park has already 10 committed wholeheartedly to this effort and to providing space He's gone as far 11 as to allocating a vehicle for transportation purposes So they have already 12 made communication and they are ready and willing to help out in any way 13 possible 14 15 Ms Parker also commented that they sit on a South County Outreach Board with 16 Santa Teresa Middle School and the D.A.'s office, Police Department and 17 Sheriffs Department is there It almost serves as a satellite continuum board for 18 us in a way because we're able to talk about the same issues that we discuss 19 here 20 21 Mr Frietze also added that they have a Juvenile Corrections Program in Anthony 22 that's been doing outreach working in the Anthony District, so there is already 23 ongoing contact between this agency, the Sheriff's office, and the Gadsden 24 Public Schools 25 26 o Update from Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee (JJAC) Meeting 27 Amber Parker, CLC 28 29 Ms Parker stated that the last JJAC meeting was only a discussion of the 30 contracts and the funding They did not have a full agenda. They are meeting 31 again on July 15th to consider the full funding of the RFI applications that were 32 submitted and to move forward with some other projects, including Native 33 American projects and a data project. The JJAC Chair did resign her position in 34 April so there will be an appointment of a new vice-chair to that board Ms. 35 Parker will provide an update after the meeting on Monday, via email, to all 36 committee members. 37 38 o Dona Ana County Truancy Initiative Dan Rosales & Crystal Shaw, 39 D.A. Office 40 41 Mr Rosales passed out a DAC Truancy Initiative Guide and stated that this guide 42 was going to be utilized County-wide He then gave a brief overview of the guide 43 and stated it will be available for anybody within the County of Dona Ana to use 44 They have worked with the schools, law enforcement, juvenile probation, CYFD, 45 and all the key stakeholders to make sure that what they are doing is effective, 46 efficient, pro-active and as holistic as they can make it. He feels it will alleviate a 5 1 lot of the frustration, and more importantly, help all in the County to identify at an 2 early age that if a child is missing school, there is something going on in the 3 home that is keeping that child from going to school Mr Rosales feels this will 4 give everyone clear direction as to where they want to go and everybody will 5 know what their piece of the pie is throughout the County of Dona Ana (see 6 attached guide) 7 8 Mr Rosales stated there is a checklist so that they will now know what they will 9 need to submit in a packet so that when it gets to Third Judicial Court, they can 10 move forward legally 11 12 The Juvenile Class III referrals have been changed in regards to the contact 13 numbers and addresses of each individual that they will be working with 14 throughout the process with clear direction Each referral will start at the school 15 administration, then to JPO By State Statute, JPO has 14 days to hold a 16 preliminary inquiry If found to be the fault of the parent, it will move forward to 17 the District Attorney's office Mr Rosales stated that from there, they can now 18 place individuals on the Pre-prosecution Diversion Program, thus creating 19 another tier to hold parents accountable without involving the court system This 20 will allow the opportunity to work with the family and to give services, as needed 21 22 Amy Orlando asked if the program is targeting the parents or the kids. 23 24 Mr Rosales stated they are holding the parents accountable, which is basically 25 their authority under the compulsory school attendance office Middle and high 26 schoolers can use this same packet, however, authority lies within the JPO 27 because of the fact that it is harder for the D.A.'s office to prove that it is the fault 28 of the parent. 29 30 Ms Orlando asked if all cases now get a PI and go through JPO 31 32 Mr Rosales stated yes 33 34 Ms Orlando felt that this would not work for elementary age children A PI 35 cannot be done on elementary age children 36 37 Mr Rosales stated the PI would actually be done on the family 38 39 Ms. Orlando stated she doesn't know if that will work under policies and 40 procedures of the bigger picture, the umbrella of CYFD There are limitations to 41 what they are allowed to do as far as juvenile justice because they have Child 42 Protective Services They are trying to work out a policy of procedures to 43 streamline the truancy cases and also to streamline and bring in PS 44 45 Mr Rosales stated that Jay was at the table and had recommended CYFD 46 coming in at that point of the PI to make sure that they were aware of the issues 6 1 Ms Orlando understood bringing in PS with kids and families they have authority 2 over, being middle school and high schoolers, however; for the elementary age 3 kids, there's no real mechanism they can hold Ms Orlando suggested looking 4 at the bigger picture and the angle of the elementary school children to see how 5 they can fix that part of it. 6 7 Mr Rosales agreed Mr Rosales continued the presentation and stated that 8 there is a 10 day parent notification, which gives guidance to make sure that 9 school policy is consistent with State statute The next step is the 10 Acknowledgement of Enforcement of Compulsory Attendance School law This 11 will allow for the schools to invite the parents in, explain the law to them, and 12 explain that they're there to help them as a family and to find ways to keep the 13 children in school. The next step in the process would be the Student 14 Attendance Intervention Plan. Mr Rosales feels that a lot of the issues will be 15 resolved at this point; when the schools can address any problems that are 16 occurring in the home and how they can help 17 18 Mr Dollahon asked if this had been rolled out to the school districts yet or were 19 they waiting till the school year begins 20 21 Mr Rosales stated they were actually going to start training for this year 22 23 Judge Beyer asked in reference to the intervention, who would be identifying the 24 problem and coming up with an action plan 25 26 Mr Rosales stated the schools. 27 28 Judge Beyer asked what is the next step if this fails. 29 30 Mr Rosales stated that if that step fails, when it comes to the District Attorney's 31 Office, they can now make those part of the terms and conditions if they go the 32 pre-prosecution diversion route in that there are issues in the home, and they can 33 get an assessment and recommendation to hold them accountable to those 34 recommendations. 35 36 VII. SUBCOMMITTEE DEVELOPMENT 37 o Subcommittees Coordinate Meeting Schedule 38 39 Mr Dollahon suggested they adjourn and then meet in small groups to figure out 40 schedules Someone will then need to follow up with Mr Parker on that schedule 41 to coordinate with her as she will need to participate in it somehow 42 43 VIII. NEXT MEETING: Thursday, October 10, 2013 44 An Executive Committee meeting may be called at the discretion of the Chair 45 46 7 1 IX. ADJOURNMENT 2 3 Katherine Cardon moved to adjourn 4 5 Stephanie Armitage seconded 6 7 Meeting adjourned at 11 53 a.m 8 9 10 /'nxq/,�o 11 Chairperson Da e 8 Dona Ana County Juvenile Justice Continuum Board A regular meeting will be held by the Dona Ana County Juvenile Justice Continuum Board to review the items listed below The meeting will be held on Thursday, July 11th, at 11:00 am, in Conference Room 2007-A of the Las Cruces City Hall, located at 700 N Main Street, Las Cruces, New Mexico. The City of Las Cruces does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in the provision of services. The City of Las Cruces will make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual who wishes to attend this public meeting. Please notify the City Juvenile Citation Program at least 48 hours before the meeting by calling 541-2349 (Voice) or 528- 3157 (TTY). This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the same numbers listed above. 1 Q0 I. Call to order- Board Chair H. Roll Call for Quorum III. Welcome and Introductions IV. Public Comment V. Old Business. o Grant RFI o Subcommittee Development: Each Member Shall Volunteer for an Area of Interest ■ Legislative, Training, Community Assessment & Strategic Planning, Marketing &Media VI. New Business o Summary of Juvenile Justice Continuum Grant Award for Dona Ana County Budget and Impact on Local Programs: Amber Parker,CLC o Update from Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee(JJAC)Meeting: Amber Parker,CLC o Dona Ana County Truancy Initiative: Dan Rosales&Crystal Shaw,D.A. Office VII. Subcommittee Development: o Subcommittees Coordinate Meeting Schedule VIII. Next Meeting: Thursday,October 10th,2013 An executive committee meeting may be called at the discretion of the chair IX. Adjourn