Loading...
05-15-2014 PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING May 15, 2014 1 The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Meeting was held on May 15, 2014, at City 2 Hall, Room 2007-B (2nd Floor), 700 N, Main Street, Las Cruces, NM. 3 4 PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: 5 Mr. Ron Camunez, Board Chair 6 Mr. Eli Guzman, Board Vice-Chair 7 Ms. Elizabeth Brown 8 Ms. Dawn Rue 9 Mr. Mark O'Neill 10 Mrs. Fran Witt 11 12 OTHERS PRESENT: 13 Mr. Mark Johnston, Director Parks & Recreation 14 Ms. Hazel Nevarez, PRAB Recording Secretary 15 Mr. Tim Fulton, Parks Administrator 16 Ms. Sonya Delgado, Recreation Administrator 17 18 The meeting was called to order at 6:01 p.m. by Chairman Camunez and he 19 recognized the meeting as having a legal quorum. 20 21 I. Introductions 22 23 Board Members introduced themselves and stated the district they represent. 24 25 It. Conflict of Interest 26 27 No conflict of interest. 28 29 III. Approval of Minutes 30 31 Minutes stand approved for the April 17, 2014 meeting as presented. 32 33 IV. Old Business 34 35 None. 36 37 V. New Business 38 39 A. Community Garden/Operational Rules & Guidelines (Revised) —Action 40 41 Mr. Johnston requested approval from the Board to revise the Community Garden 42 Rules and Operational Guidelines to allow the sale of produce. Staff can then request 1 1 formal adoption through resolution by City Council. Ms. Witt suggested on last page 2 under section E. to hyphenate the verbiage: from time to time. 3 4 Mr. O'Neill moved to accept revision of Community Garden Rules and Operational 5 Guidelines to add under Section B. Gardening Procedures, item 8: Produce from the 6 Garden(s) can be used for sale or commercial purposes; and under Section C. 7 Prohibited Uses and Activities, delete item 5: Produce from the Garden is not to be 8 used for sale or commercial purposes. 9 10 The motion was seconded by Ms. Witt and carried unanimously. 11 12 B. Aerosol Art Program—East Mesa Recreation Center—Action 13 14 Ms. Delgado advised the Board that the first Aerosol Art Program did very well and 15 supplied a picture of the final product. Staff would like to do the same thing to the 16 inside of East Mesa Recreation Center and utilize teens there as part of another 17 program. 18 19 Ms. Brown moved to approve the painting of another mural to the inside of East Mesa 20 Recreation Center. The motion was seconded by Mr. Guzman and carried 21 unanimously. 22 23 C. Weed N Seed and Juvenile Citation Program (JCP) — Informational 24 25 Mr. Johnston informed the Board that during last budget process, it was decided to 26 create a new division under Parks and Recreation called Youth Services. This division 27 will include the Weed n Seed program, After School Program, and the Juvenile Citation 28 Program (JCP). Mr. Johnston gave a brief background on the Weed n Seed Program 29 and Juvenile Citation Program. 30 31 D. Desert Trails-Dirt Bike Ramps— Informational 32 33 Mr. Fulton informed the Board that the Park's department received a call from a 34 resident near Desert Hills Trail that a group of individuals had built some jumps for their 35 bicycles. This park is not designed for this and there is the risk of someone getting 36 injured. Park maintenance crews have dismantled the jumps and residents have been 37 advised to notify non-emergency police if this continues. 38 39 E. Sam Graft Park—Discussion 40 41 Mr. Camunez mentioned that he has been asked to speak at Mr. Sam Graft's Memorial 42 Service. He asked Mrs. Graft if there was anything we could do for her and her 43 request was to fix the dedicated bronze plaque at Sam Graft Park and cover it with 44 Plexiglas to protect it. 45 2 1 Mr. Johnston stated that the plaque is under the park system and our Parks 2 department will fix the plaque under the next fiscal budget (after July). Mr. Johnston 3 advised that Plexiglas generally does not work and he will have to see how the original 4 plaque was done. Mr. Camunez requested we send out a letter on behalf of Parks and 5 Recreation and the Board to let her know the plaque has been taken care of. 6 7 Ms. Witt mentioned at Sam Graft Park, there is an above ground pipe covered in 8 insulation and someone has cut it. She did report it to our Parks and Recreation 9 department but as of this past Monday, it has not been taken care of. Mr. Johnston 10 advised Mr. Fulton will take care of this. 11 12 VI. Public Comment 13 14 No public comment. 15 16 Member Comments 17 18 Ms. Rue has a son who is an artist and business owner downtown and would like to 19 know if there is any need for art or murals in the community as he would like to do 20 something for the community with his art work. Mr. Johnston advised the best route to 21 go would be the City Art Board and also private property owners who have a building 22 side. 23 24 Mr. O'Neill asked if there was going to be a park built in the Roadrunner and Park Hill 25 area. Mr. Johnston advised there will be three more parks in Park Hill Estates and 26 Metro Verde area, one which will contain Las Cruces' first Splash Park. The first park 27 will be online in 2015 which will be a soccer practice/picnic area park. The next parks 28 will follow in 2016 and 2017. There will also be walking pathways and a linear park 29 system. 30 31 Ms. Witt stated she has a resident asking when the fence at Sage Crest Park is going 32 to be fixed. Mr. Johnston advised Mr. Fulton will add this to his list and will try to fix 33 with this year's budget; otherwise it will be after July. 34 35 Ms. Witt asked if there are any problems in District 6 parks with police reports. Mr. 36 Johnston and Mr. Camunez both thought it would be a good idea to have the Police 37 Department do a presentation at one of our Board meetings. 38 39 Ms. Witt asked what the construction at Burn Lake is and also what the other items 40 listed under construction updates in the Parks and Recreation Report are? Mr. 41 Johnston responded on these items: 42 43 Burn Lake Phase II construction continues — this is a Parks and Recreation 44 project that includes picnic area changes, accessibility changes, enhancing the 45 area with a new parking lot, new landscaping, new restroom and new 46 playground. Lights on the soccer field have recently been completed. On the 3 I far east side of the soccer fields is a huge Public Works project that is part of EI 2 Molino drainage project. Dirt will come out and clay layer from dirt will be 3 spread on bottom of lake so that when lake gets water, it will hold the water. 4 5 • On Downtown Mall parking lot number renovations - old parking lot numbers 6 are being blasted and streamlined to nice H structure with big bright numbers 7 and Main Street logo out on top. 8 9 • Radio Control Car Track construction — this is 75% complete. It is located next 10 to the BMX bicycle track and Skate Park on Hadley. Staff is utilizing Ground 11 Work Dona Ana, our crews and volunteers from the remote control car arena 12 and a first class remote control car track is being built. It will be completed in 13 next three to four months. 14 15 District 5 Medians final walk through -these are improvements on Del Rey, Elks 16 Dr., Sonoma medians that have been finished. 17 18 Mr. Johnston informed the Board that under the Capital Improvement Program, Sage 19 Crest Park will be getting a Unisex single stall restroom by winter of this year and we 20 are funded to replace the restrooms at Young Park. For the June meeting, Mr. 21 Johnston will bring the budget to talk about the funded construction projects under the 22 Capital Improvement Program. 23 24 Mr. Camunez asked if there is anything Parks & Recreation can do to provide 25 Southern NM Law Enforcement Memorial Group with a Memorial site for fallen police. 26 Mr. Johnston recommended they have representation come to council and speak 27 during items of the audience. 28 29 Mr. Camunez mentioned he attended the FOPCC open house and asked if the Parks 30 and Recreation department will be opening another recreation center for the 31 community. Mr. Johnston advised that if we get another recreation center, it will be at 32 East Mesa. 33 34 Mr. Camunez asked if we are planning any new parks in the new Del Rey area. Mr. 35 Johnston advised that Arlon Parish is going to build a 2.2 acre park in the area but it is 36 developer driven. 37 38 Ms. Witt asked how it is determined where parks go. Mr. Johnston advised that as 39 development occurs, Mr. Johnston negotiates with developers on supplying parks 40 either in lieu of park impact fees or in exchange for the waiver of park impact fees, but 41 only for neighborhood parks. Our larger parcels, Mr. Johnston ends up dealing with 42 BLM property, such as Sonoma and Lohman; however the building of the park itself will 43 be unfunded because there is no funding mechanism for that. 44 45 Mr. Camunez expressed how great Movies in the Park has been and wants to convey 46 to staff, especially Phil Catanach how much the Board appreciates what staff is doing. 4 I Mr. Johnston mentioned that $5,000 was received in sponsorship from Pic Quik so 2 there will be 14 movies over the course of this year. 3 4 Mr. Camunez expressed that previous July 4 events did not have any reference to 5 America's independence, i.e. no presentation of flags, no singing of the National 6 Anthem. This year Mr. Camunez would like consensus from the Board that this year's 7 program touch upon the 4" of July theme. The Board did give their consensus. Mr. 8 Johnston also agreed but cautioned that this is a committee that staff cannot dictate 9 over, but will make the suggestion. 10 11 Mr. O'Neill thinks that items brought up under comments should be on agenda under 12 old or new business. Mr. Camunez advised that some of these things come to mind 13 after Agenda has gone out because of law and this is why they are brought up under 14 comments. 15 16 Mr. Camunez suggested that Board members be included on the PIO email so that 17 they can be updated with upcoming events. 18 19 Mr. Camunez asked status of IT website issues. Mr. Johnston advised web site 20 updates is being re-released again and some of the work that was done up to this point 21 may be undone so Mr. Johnston will keep Board informed. 22 23 VII. Adjournment 24 25 Meeting adjourned at 7:09 p.m. 26 27 28 / 29 4, r �l i 1(z . 30 HH� varez, Record i c ecretary Ron Camune , Chair P8,R Boa 31 32 ` 33 5