Loading...
08-21-2014_CIAC'low City of Las Cruet, P E O P L E N E L P I N 0 P E O P L E Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Minutes for the Meeting on Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:30 p.m. Utilities Center Conference Room 218 Committee Members Present: Lonnie Hamilton, Chair Eugene Suttmiller, Vice -Chair Max Bower, Committee Member Ronald Johnson, Committee Member Chrys Uhlig, Committee Member City Staff Present: Travis Brown, Fire Chief Carl Clark, Interim RESITS Administrator Tim Fulton, Parks & Recreation Administrator Jorge Garcia, Utilities Director Mark Johnston, Parks & Recreation Director D. Eric Martin, Project Management Administrator Jessica Phillips, Utilities Office Assistant Sr. Alma Ruiz, Utilities Office Manager Senior Adrienne Widmer, Interim Water Resources Administrator Chair Hamilton called the meeting to order at approximately 1:35 p.m. 1. Acceatance of the Aa nda Chair Hamilton asked for acceptance of the Agenda. Johnson motioned to accept the agenda. Seconded by Uhlig. All in favor. The motion passed. The Agenda was Accepted Unanimously. 5-0 2. Acceptance of the Minutes Regular Meeting of March 20, 2014. Johnson asked for changes on page two, of the Minutes. He asked that January 13 and January 14 be changed to January 2013 and January 2014. Ms. Alma Ruiz, thanked him and assured that the changes would be made. Page 1 of 12 Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 2 of 12 Chair Hamilton then asked if anyone had any problems with the amended minutes as proposed. If not, he would like to entertain a motion. Uhlig motioned to accept the amended minutes. Seconded by Suttmiller. All in favor. The motion carried. The March 20, 2014 Amended Meeting Minutes were Approved Unanimously. 5-0 3. New Business Reappointment of Chair Lonnie Chair Hamilton, and Vice -Chair Eugene Suttmiller. Chair Hamilton mentioned that two members of the Committee had their terms expire, and that there had been two reappointments by the City Council. He was notified that these reappointments were in place. He said that there would only be one concern at this point. Uhlig interjected asking if we would keep the same Chair and Vice -Chair. Johnson commented, that their terms were not up until January 2015. Chair Hamilton acknowledged and thanked him. 4. Old Business Public Works Department — Park Impact Fee Project Update: Eric Martin, Project Management Administrator, presented on the Park Impact Fee (PIF) Project Update, on what happened in the past year, and what they have going forward next year. He also had a handout from their end -of -year closeout, which he forgot to put into the presentation, with the updated balance for the different funds related to the PIFs. There were a wide variety of projects across the entire city in Fiscal Year (FY) 2013/2014. They are in the process of acquiring property such as the Foothills Landfill where they will be putting the Archery Range; those projects are in process. At the time the CIP was put together it highlighted the Desert Trails restrooms, Desert Trails signage, and the various other Parks as seen on the screen. Hamilton had a few follow-up questions, which were answered by Martin. The Airplane and Vehicle Remote Control Park is under review and they will get that underway. The Archery Range is waiting on the BLM patent. A request from Councilor Levatino, for Desert Trails Community Park, is to move the restrooms from Desert Trails to Sagecrest and that request is reflected on the CIP. Signage for Desert Trails is in. East Mesa and Highland Parks are currently under design and will hopefully be completed early part of this fall and construction underway. North Alameda Arroyo Trails is complete, Parkhill Estate Neighborhood Park, as well as the Pueblos are still development placeholders, where funding is on hand, but they will be working with the developer to determine if they will acquire the land or if the developer will build the Park or whether the City builds it. Chair Hamilton asked where Parkhill Estate is located. Martin answered that it was out on North Del Rey. Mark Johnston, Parks and Recreations Director added, North Del Rey; North of 70. Martin elaborated on this project and a discussion followed. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 3 of 12 Tony Gomez Park is complete at this point, same as Twin Parks. They have been making some good progress on getting funds extended. The Planned Projects for this year; once they get the patents, are to get the Airplane Remote Control Park and Archery Range underway. Desert Trails Community Park — Phase II is to add a parking area in the North end of the Park. There are also some extra funds to rehabilitate trails, which will not be paid from PIFs, but rather City funds. The East Mesa Area Park is the one immediately East of Sage Cafe, West of the East Mesa Bataan Memorial pool. The park is partially constructed now, and they are now ready to go out to finish the rest of it. The Highland Park Phase I, is the BLM property, about ten acres to the north of Highland Elementary School, where they are working on the design. Mr. Johnston has been working on the reimbursement agreements for the Metro Verde Neighborhood Parks with the developers in that division, and they are moving on with those and will be writing those checks once the Parks are completed. North Del Rey Neighborhood Park still waiting on developer, property, and other things to work on before construction can begin. At Oro Vista Park jogging trails and irrigation trees will be added. At Pueblos at Alameda they are still working with the Neighborhood Organization on what to construct there for a park. Chair Hamilton inquired on the location of this park and had some follow up questions. Johnston stated, East Mesa all the way up to Sonoma and the Pueblos. A discussion was held. Sagecrest Park, is where the restrooms will be put in, per Council Member Levatino's request. Chair Hamilton had additional questions regarding moving the restrooms, or if they are portable units; which Martin explained in further detail. The Vehicle Remote Control Park and Archery Range are just waiting for the patents to come through to start the design and construction. Uhlig asked if the Remote Control Park will be for drones. Johnston addressed the question and discussion was held. Basically with all the new developments, that have been going on in the different areas of the city, and are primarily in the East Mesa and East to the Northeast, they are averaging about a $55,000.00 per month in revenue, which is coming into the Impact Fee fund at this point in time. Referring to the handout Martin gave the Committee members, he stated that the last time a review of the PIF, Land Use Assumptions, to put the Capital Improvement Program and everything together, all the other Park Management Areas one (1) through four (4) in this case, were phased out, and so park manager general is where all of the revenue is going into. The reason these other park management areas are still sitting out there on the spreadsheet, is because there is still had some balance in those funds that they are working on drawing down. Martin stated, that they had the balances down to a minimal enough point, that in the next round of spreadsheets two (2) through four (4) they should Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 4 of 12 totally drop off and depending on where its closeout is, Impact Fee Area I, any balances left there will roll back into Management General, and that is what will be seen. Meeting with Finance and Mr. Denmark was held on the Park Management Pueblos at Alameda, that was actually funding, that was given to them by the Neighborhood Association, through the developer. Those funds are not subject to the seven year reversion. There is a seven year window that they normally have to spend PIFs. To keep everything clean, if staff changes, the Pueblos at Alameda numbers that are shown on the handout, 48995, that will actually be moved over into what is called their 4001 Fund, which is actually their Capital Improvement Fund that is used for Parks and Facilities, and will be tracked from there because it does not have an expenditure date. In future versions of this report; Park Management General, interest revenue, the grand total, and any expenses related to that will be shown. Bower asked, regarding the Pueblos at Alameda, if that money has to stay there per the agreement with the developer and the reimbursement. Is there anything different about that or does it all just revert? Martin's response is, that the Pueblos at Alameda is basically to set aside funds that are not subject to PIFs seven year reversion. Bower acknowledged, and asked if it will have to be spent there. Martin answered, that they will have to spend it on Parks in that area, it's designated for that park, so what will happen is, for example, they go to build the park, a couple of years from now, the park costs $100,000.00, and they have $50,000.00 in that account, what they will potentially be doing through the Capital Improvement Program, is take $50,000.00 from a 4001 Fund to do the Capital for the park, to draw that down, and to make sure they have that for a placeholder. Then they may take $50,000.00 out of Park Management General because it would be a new construction, new level of service, to make up the $100,000.00 to build the park. That is potentially, how that scenario might work out. On the other hand, the Neighborhood Association could work with the developer in some form, the developer could say, well City, I will go ahead and build the park for you, and in that case, we would reimburse the $50,000.00 plus whatever that balance is that we agreed to reimburse for the construction. Chair Hamilton acknowledged. Johnson asked Martin, if he knew what the balance was for the end of 2013. Martin's response was, that the ending fund balance for Park Management General could be found in the little box at the bottom of the lower left-hand corner of the handout, the $1,280,000.00 and all the way over to the far right, under total Park Management Areas, they can see $1,356,000.00. Johnson interjected, that he was asking what the balance was for the previous year. Martin confirms, that Johnson is referring to FYI 3. Martin said he did not know the number off the top of his head, but that he could pull the Impact Fee Reports from the prior year and send that to them. Johnson stated, that he thought it would be interesting to see the history of what is going on and that he could not recall, as it had been too long. Martin asked Alma Ruiz to send him an e-mail as a reminder and then he will send the information to be shared with the CIAC Members. Martin confirmed that the information requested was for FYI 3. Johnson confirmed and then asks if anyone would also like FYI 2. Johnson commented, that he just wanted to see FYI 3. No one requested FYI information. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 5 of 12 Uhlig asked Martin, if the year of end 2013 balance was the beginning fund balance. He was referring to the $944,332.00; down at the bottom of the page it says Beginning Fund Balance. Martin said, that it should be, the carryover after they did the closeout and the audit. However, he would double check if there had been any readjustments after the audit. Martin goes on to state, regarding the overall Revenue Trend Fund Balance, over time they have been collecting a lot more Impact Fees, upwards close to almost $600,000.00 a year for FY14. Johnson interjected and asked him (referring to the Revenue Trend slide) if the boxes were cumulative of previous money? Martin's response was, yes overall. From 2012-2015 they are expecting to collect about $1.7 Million in Impact Fees during that time. Martin showed photos of the following projects: Desert Trails, East Mesa Mini Park, Highland Park Phase I, North Del Rey Park, Remote Control Airplanes and Archery, and Sagecrest Restrooms to give the Committee an idea of what they had allocated to those projects. Desert Trails, total project cost is $150,000.00 with the funding source coming from the PIF General. Referring to the photo on the slide - highlighted in green with the red star - is where the parking areas and access to the walkways are. Discussion was held. East Mesa Mini Park, total project cost is $120,000.00 with the funding source coming from the PIF General. Initially picnic tables and landscaping were added, which is beginning to look nice, now they're moving into a next phase to finish it up, put in shade structures and other amenities that make the park much more user friendly. That park is basically split between the East Mesa Bataan Memorial Pool and Sage Cafe, so there are opportunities there, where pool goers might be able to use that park for some type of pool party. Chair Hamilton stated that in the Sound -Off people said they have a hard time finding the Safe Cafe. Martin commented, they are working with the vendor on signage. Johnson asked for the address to the Sage Cafe. Martin stated that he did not know it at that moment. Discussion was held. Highland Park Phase I, total project cost is $30,000.00 with funding source being PIF Area #1. Highland Park is right immediately North of Highland Elementary School there off Highway 70. There is about 10 acres of BLM land that can be seen in the left-hand corner on the presentation. Behind the school there is what they call a Recreation and Public Purpose (R&PP) Lease. Right now they are in the middle of the design process, spending about $30,000.00 on the design work. Previously they had constructed, in conjunction with the school, a shade pavilion and a park area that can be seen at the edge of the crosswalk. Walking trails will now be added, which will also allow them to connect to the neighborhood to the North - the houses that can be seen, as well as potentially grassing as much as 4- 5 acres with the irrigation - to make it a large green space that can be used for multi - purposes, such as sports and family activities. Uhlig had a question about the acreage. Martin clarified. Discussion was held. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 6 of 12 North Del Rey Park, total project cost is $30,000.00 with PIF General as the funding source. They are looking into doing some type of preliminary design. Discussion about details followed. Remote Control Airplane and Archery Park, total project cost is $75,000.00 and $50,000.00 using the PIF General as its funding source. It will be at the Foothills Landfill. They are waiting to receive the patent, which is the formal transfer of the land to City ownership, and hope to receive that in September. Suttmiller asked what was separating the airport from the archery park. Johnston answered, height, it is approximately 50 feet higher where the airport will be. Discussion was held. They have been working closely with Parks and Recreations regarding restrooms. Site built restrooms are extremely expensive. So following the example of a lot of other parks, they are looking into using prefabricated facilities, to see how that works out. Mr. Johnston has been working with the community to see what they think of the look and feel of design. Hamilton had some questions about the restrooms that were addressed by Johnston. Discussion was held. Chair Hamilton thanked Martin for the update and asked the Committee if they had any additional questions. Martin asked if the Committee would like him to add a slide that shows the revenue history for PIFs over the last 5-10 years. Chair Hamilton agreed it would be helpful. Suttmiller asked for future presentations, to please add the address on the slides for each project. Martin agreed to this request. Public Works Department — East Mesa Public Safety Campus Update: Martin presented on the East Mesa Public Safety Campus Updates. He stated that he would also give them some information on the Impact Fees towards the end. Initially they had been looking at 20-30 Acres of BLM land Northeast off of Sonoma Ranch Blvd., but found out that a total of 350 acres was available. At this time it is being sold at a very good price, so they will be pursuing that purchase for various future projects. City growth has been moving to the East and the North. So they are trying to think ahead and will pursue these 350 acres. Martin explains in detail, what areas they plan on using in the near future, starting with 50 acres adjacent to Sonoma Ranch. Martin asked the Committee, if they had any questions so far. Uhlig had some follow-up questions about the land, which Dr. Jorge Garcia and Martin explained. Martin said that they were still working with the architect to finalize the buildings, layout, size, and landscaping, as well as the roadways. Johnson asked how many square feet this will be. Brown answered approximately 36,000 and a two-story design. Martin went on to explain this in further detail. Martin goes on to say, that they had a public input meeting, and are expecting to get the R&PP Lease this September, after which they can start construction. One of the issues that came up from that meeting was with the building visibility for neighbors. If you look out of their windows, will you see the building? The answer was no. Brown added, that the public that was participating was very favorable of their ideas. Brown said the first read of Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 7 of 12 the zoning ordinances was at this past Monday's City Council Meeting, therefore, it will go before the City Council for final approval at the next regular meeting or the meeting thereafter. Johnson asked Brown about the planned color scheme. Brown elaborated on this. Discussion followed. Per Martin, they are using a total of six funding sources for this project, of which he provided a chart to the Committee in his presentation. Initially there were $1.2 Million from the State, and $1 Million from the City Bond cycling program that they do every three (3) years to raise funds for capital improvements. They will be using Public Safety Impact Fees (PSIF) to fund the equipment for the fire buildings, out of the New Street Improvements Projects Bond for 2014, approximately $400,000.00 to help build the roadway, and $10 Million, which is the bulk of the construction funding, will be coming out of the Bond cycle that is in place now. Based on a City Council request, they will be starting the Arts in Public Places program, which at the State level is called AIPP, where they take a certain percentage they give to communities for AIPP, usually 1 % up to a certain level. They were asked to set aside funding, for public arts in and around the buildings and that is where the $42,000.00 comes from. Suttmiller commented that they have roughly $13,400,000.00 to build a 36,000 square feet building and stock it; and asked if that will be enough money. Martin answered that it should be, as they are working with different Departments within the City to see where cost can be shared. Discussion was held. Martin continued by stating, that the project will start in January 2015. Suttmiller asked what would happen to the current police and fire stations. Martin stated, that he had a few slides in his PowerPoint presentation that would go into further detail about this. Johnson asked if there would be a long delay before they would use their impact fees, because if there was a long delay, then their equipment might not be purchased till 2017. Brown addressed that question, stating that they plan on placing the order for the fire truck the first part of 2015. Projected opening day is spring of 2016. Brown goes on to say that they asked the manufacturer, if they would grant them a price break, if they ordered two fire engines instead of just one. This allowed them to save almost $40,000.00. City Administration was very favorable with this and approved this request. Martin states, that they had made quite a bit of revenue for June of 2014. At this time, their ending fund balance through July 31st, is just a little over $1 Million, which was accumulated over two years. Brown added, that they started collecting fees in January 2012. Martin goes on to say that in the future they hope to take in about $400,000.00 per year. So by 2015 they expect to have collected about $1.4 Million, plus or minus, which will give them enough funding to prepare for vehicle acquisition, get them into the building, and then they will see what is left over. Right now as far as contracts go what they have in place is for the building and Site Design; they have a contract to finish up the architectural, construction documents, and finalizing everything else they need to bid on this project. Discussion was held. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page S of 12 Uhlig asked, whether the Fire Department had any other revenue, aside from the impact fee. Brown said they do not, they do however receive state funding. Discussion followed. Martin mentioned that the new sustainability action plan is in place. They are working with the Sustainability Officer in considering the design and construction contract. Suttmiller had a question, regarding plans for solar panels, which were addressed by Martin. Suttmiller also asked about using purple pipes. Martin said, yes purple pipes are being considered and when it comes to landscaping, they are trying to focus on xeriscaping to minimize water usage. Discussion followed. Martin stated the timelines, if they stay on target, they are expecting to put the building out for bid in October 2014, so construction can start in January 2015. Target completion date is June 2016. Chair Hamilton had a follow-up question regarding shared fiber optics, which Martin addressed. Discussion followed. Johnson asked if bids are pre -qualified. Martin answered and asked Brown if he had additional information. Brown elaborated on the bid process and discussion followed. Martin continued to provide details of this project, including art placement and type, as well as budget. Chair Hamilton asked if the art will be placed both inside and out, because $42,000.00 is not a lot of money. Martin asked Johnston to address this question. Johnston informed the Committee Members that the City has a brand new Art Advisory Board. Discussion was held. Johnson asked Brown if there will be a new Battalion Chief. Brown replied, that they do plan on splitting the city and have an East Battalion, as well as a West Battalion, similar to what the police department has done. Martin goes on to elaborate on this. Discussion followed. Martin provided the Committee Members an additional handout slide pertaining to Impact Fee Plan Updates and mentions, that they are three years into their public safety impact fee. Another two (2) years before the impact fees are set to sunset at five (5) years and they will start the renewal process. They are starting to get information together, such as contracts, to get that started. Brown added, that when the CIAC was originally established, Utilities was the only impact fee in place, then parks and now them. Last Friday, all of these departments met to discuss, what they needed to do to keep the Board informed, to make things go smoothly, whenever it is time to renew the impact fees every five years. As Martin mentioned, the PSI Fs are the next fees due for a reevaluation and potential update. A decision was made, that a standard procedure needed to be developed. They would like to come back next meeting, Public Works will spearhead this process, with every department giving more detailed information, which will give the Committee more insight, and thus help implement a standard procedure. Brown elaborated with additional information on the suggested process. Chair Hamilton stated, that he agrees with what they are doing, and that for the past year, they have been looking for a system that makes sense conceptually. This Committee is a volunteer group, and does not do this on a daily basis, so in spite of that he feels they have Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 9 of 12 built a good base with Members of diverse backgrounds. However, the reason why they ask the Departments to come in two or three times a year to update them, is for that exact reason, so they do not have to start all over every time they start this process over. Chair Hamilton is thrilled to hear, that the departments have met to discuss this, as this was what he had hoped would happen. He would hope, that they could figure out, what makes sense from the City's standpoint, keep the Committee informed, refresh their memories if need be, and keep heading in the right direction. Brown added, that their goal would be to present a topic at each monthly meeting, however if one topic needs more time, to possibly stretch that over more than one meeting, so that the Committee can get the information they need. Next meeting, Brown, would like to discuss the five to six main topics they would like to work on in the next eight months or so, and get the Committees feedback. The goal is to have a plan after next month's meeting. Chair Hamilton agrees, that at times there might be more depth to dive into, but the reason they try to schedule carved out timeframes, is for that exact reason: to inform them of what is going on, to help the Committee help them. Once they are at that point, where they understand everything that has been happening up until now, it will simplify the process for everyone. The more information they have, the easier their jobs become. Johnson mentioned, that the Committee does not have a consultant, which the Departments have. The Committee has to rely on a consultant's report. He believes getting the Committee involved earlier could help, and in turn not be involved in the RFP process and selection, merely see what the RFP says, so that they are prepared and know, what the consultant is doing. This way they would be part of the development process, instead of just being handed a report and it getting messy. Suttmiller left the meeting at 3:00 p.m. Bower had additional questions regarding the revenue. He asked if they are essentially looking at impact fees providing roughly 3% towards project costs. It appears that impact fees roughly contribute 3% towards the RFPs (Request for Proposals); towards the actual Capital Improvement Plan. Bower then asked if they were roughly about the same. Brown stated, probably so, he believes that is part of what the plan update needs to look at. The projection as he recalls in the plan was over the course of ten (10) years and about $700,000.00, average per year, were anticipated. That was flat the first years and then tended to increase. Two and a half (2 %) years of collections and they are a little over $1 Million, which means they are only running about half of what was projected. The total cost of their Capital Improvements Plan was about $35-40 Million; with $1 Million being raised with only 2'/z years into it. Bower stated, that the impact fees are problematic, because it is difficult for the money to be used. He believes, now that they have been here a while, part of their responsibility is to help them figure out additional ways to raise money. Chair Hamilton said, that opinion on their responsibilities varies. He believes their main purview is supposed to be related Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 10 of 12 to impact fees. Then they will look at the RFP, even if it is after the fact, to see if it makes sense from their prospective. Then they are to monitor and track what has been done because they are not looking at new projects. Bower asked if the Departments have looked at alternative funding sources. Is this something the Departments have been tasked with doing? According to his knowledge, by speaking with some members of City Council they have been looking to identifying City land that they can used to sell, or trade. He believes a report is being or has been compiled that could help fund some of this stuff. Discussion followed. Chair Hamilton added that in the past, the Committee prepared and presented a white paper to City Council with their recommendations and that will continue in the future until they are told not to do that anymore. Brown reiterates, that this is the reason they would really like to develop a process and schedule to bring before this Committee of how to move forward. They can start off at square one by inviting City Legal to come to future meetings to answer the Committee's questions. Chair Hamilton stated that this Committee is relatively new because two -years ago none of these members were on the Committee. So they essentially had to start off on square one. As long as there is continuity on this Committee, he doesn't think they are going to see all those back and forth motions like they had with the Parks and Recreations this time around because they did have a lot of Members coming and going. Brown stated, that was one of the dynamics that prompted the Department to say they need to have a standard process in place because that could happen at any time, Committee Members and/or City Staff may change at some point along the way and if a process is in place everyone will have an easy time identifying roles and responsibilities as well as have an established standardized process eliminating having to start all over. That is their long-term goal. Chair Hamilton acknowledged and thanked Brown for his comments and invited Martin to continue. Martin mentions, that there are other funding sources besides Park Impact Fees or Public Safety Impact Fees to achieve some of these projects; but as they deal with Finance and municipal government, there are also restrictions and commitments on the different funding streams. Martin went on to list various options and elaborated by giving examples. Bower asks again, if the Committee is allowed to help with ideas. Chair Hamilton stated, that is what they did through the White Paper they turned in, through Johnston. All they are trying to do is raise the question, for them all to look at, as they are not involved in the overall budget process. Impact fees on all these projects are only about 3%. That is only a small part of the bigger picture. Their job is to protect the money received through impact fees and to make sure that they are spent properly. They also need to understand how all Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 11 of 12 the other sources come into play. If there is not enough money to carry the load, they will have to look at other alternatives and make recommendations. Bower asked, if the City has looked at ideas such as trading land for services such as road work. Discussion was held. Chair Hamilton concluded, that yes, they will be making suggestions. Whether these will be heeded or not will be up to the City. Discussion followed. Brown stated, that he would request that next month they add an agenda item to allow them to start laying out the plan and foundation. Brown believes that Johnston is scheduled to present an update at the next meeting on Parks and Recreations. And asked the Committee it would be up to them to decide if they wanted both items on the agenda or move one to accommodate Johnston making his presentation because he knows the Committee still needs updates to where they are in projects. Chair Hamilton thanked Brown and a discussion ensured. Chair Hamilton asked if the Committee Members had any comments at this point. Johnson mentions that their role is restricted, where no impact fees exist, but there are no restrictions where impact fees exist. He also mentions, that the consultants should probably add something about alternative revenue sources to the RFPs. Even if it is just a preliminary thing, along the line like what Bower suggested, or paying to name the schools, or vanity street signs; raise a lot of money. Brown agrees that they would like input from the Committee but he is not sure if they can share the RFPs with them. Johnson said that they could see it once it is out. Chair Hamilton added, that they do not expect to be involved in the process, they just need an understanding. They are not going to do business for the City, just make suggestions so this process makes sense. Discussion was held. Brown asked for clarification as to what is expected at the next meeting so Departments can be prepared. He continued and asked if the Committee wants to start next month with a presentation on how the process would be laid out, along with the update from Parks and Recreations, or if Martin's presentation today was sufficient for Parks and Recreations? After checking with the Committee, Chair Hamilton says, that the point of staggered meetings was, that they did not have to report to them every single month. If there is something they need to bring before the Committee that window is always open, but for the review process, that is not necessary, as long as they keep them informed. Johnson adds, that September is, Dr. Garcia's, Utilities slot. Therefore, October there could be a preliminary discussion, about how the process would work. Brown agrees to that timeline. Discussion was held. Uhlig mentioned, that he had a distinct feeling, last year that they ruffled some feathers or stepped on someone toes within the City, and asked for a candid answer, whether that was the case or not. Brown addressed the Committee Members and stated, that he does not think that there was anything that was taken personally, but that the Committee had asked for things that had not been asked for previously. There have been some questions, regarding the Committee's authority. What it is they can or cannot do. How often they need to meet. However, he would not go so far as to say, that there have been ruffled feathers. This is why they all met, to figure out, how to provide them with as much information as Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for August 21, 2014 Page 12 of 12 they need, and thus saving everyone time. Chair Hamilton said, that they are not here to create issues but rather to help solve issues. If they ask questions that are out of line, it is ok to say, this is the reason why we will not give you this information. Their questions are a quest for answers, not an attempt at ruffling feathers. Discussion was held. Johnson had one final question regarding impact fees. He wanted to verify, that all the impact fees they are collecting right now are for the East Mesa Campus, there were no other projects that Brown has that are using impact fees. Martin said, no. The impact fees that they are collecting are to support the list of items that are shown in the Public Safety Impact Fee Capital Program. Discussion was held. 5. Committee General Discussion. Chair Hamilton thinks that everyone has done a good job in bringing forth the things that needed to be addressed and he thanked everyone for joining them today. He asked if anyone in the audience or the Committee Members had anything else to bring before the Committee. There was none. 6. Next Meetina Date. Johnson stated that the next meeting date would be September 18, 2014, at 1:30 p.m. Chair Hamilton confirmed. 7. Public Participation. None. 8. Board Comments. None. 9. Adjournment. Uhlig motioned to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Johnson. All in favor - Aye. Meeting adjourned at approximately 3:34 p.m. Lonnie Ha tan Date CIAC Chair