Loading...
11-20-2014_CIAC'47W City of Las Cruces P E O P L E N E L P I N A P E O P L E Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Minutes for the Meeting on Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:30 p.m. Utilities Center Conference Room 218 Committee Members Present: Lonnie Hamilton, Chair Eugene Suttmiller, Vice -Chair Max Bower, Committee Member Ronald Johnson, Committee Member Chrys Uhlig, Committee Member Committee Members Absent: City Staff Present: Travis Brown, Fire Chief Carl Clark, Interim RESITS Administrator Justin Dunivan, Deputy Police Chief Dr. Jorge A. Garcia, Utilities Director D. Eric Martin, Public Works Facilities Manager Jaime Montoya, Police Chief Jessica Phillips, Utilities Office Assistant Senior Jamey Rickman, Administration, Community Liaison Alma Ruiz, Utilities Office Manager Senior Ted Sweetser, Fire Marshal Chair Hamilton called the meeting to order at approximately 1:30 p.m. 1. Acceatance of the Agenda Chair Hamilton asked for acceptance of the Agenda. Committee Member Johnson motioned to accept the agenda. Seconded by Bower. All in favor. The motion passed. The Agenda was Accepted Unanimously. 4-0 2. Acceotance of the Minutes Regular Meeting of October 23, 2014. Chair Hamilton: There are just a couple of commented I want to make about the minutes. They are fine in context but there are a few little things that need to be address in order to resolve going forward. For example words like compliant and compliance and curves and curbs that do make sense. Page 1 of 23 Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Page 2 of 23 Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Ms. Ruiz: Those corrections can be made when the agenda is sent to the Chair for review and approval, any edits will be incorporated into the final version prior to being sent to the entire CIAC members in the Agenda Packet. Chair Hamilton: That's what was discussed prior to the meeting, instead of going line item by line item and taking time to correct them today, I don't think it's that critical. I will try working with Jessica [Phillips] going forward to clean it up before we get here. And just wanted that comment as a matter of the record. Does anyone had any problems with the minutes as presented. If not, I would like to entertain a motion. Mr. Johnson: Motioned to accept the amended minutes. Mr. Uhlig: Seconded. Chair Hamilton: All in favor. The motion carried. The October 23, 2014, Meeting Minutes were Approved Unanimously. 4-0 3. New Business None. 4.Old Business Public Safety Projects Update: Travis Brown, Chief of Las Cruces Fire Department (Chief Brown) presented on the Public Safety Impact Fee update for Mr. Martin. Chief Brown: The major thing that we are looking at right now is the East Mesa Public Safety Complex. We are at 95% complete on the construction drawings. In fact, Chief Montoya was just telling me that one of his Deputy Chief is back at the office right now, reviewing through the plans and making notations, and we are also doing the same thing. We will submit those comments back to our City architect and back then to the contracted firm, hopefully get everything finalized, and be ready to move forward with the bid process fairly quickly. The City Council did approve zoning for a 50 acre partial in the total 350 acres in September 2014, so we now have the ability to move forward because zoning is in place. We had a meeting 2-weeks ago with the Bureau of Land Management. The Recreation and Public Purpose Lease is moving along and they are hopeful that will be completely executed by the end of this month or in December. Once we have that, then we will actually be able to move forward with breaking ground and starting construction; of course we still have to go through the bid process, and everything else. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 3 of 23 Chair Hamilton: I have one question related to the 50 acres out of the 350. What processing d❑ you have to go through to develop that other 350 in the future? Wouldn't that have been easier to do in one sweep? Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, there was some discussion about whether it was best to go ahead and do the entire property or the initial piece based on the recommendation of BLM. To my recollection, they thought it would be more appropriate to just zone that immediate area at this point in time. The lease that we have with them is, I believe, a 20 year lease, and so we have submitted a very conceptual master plan for what the build out would look like over time. As we move forward with other projects, then we would come back and zone other areas. Because of some of the differences, we anticipate recreational uses and some of those other things such as a large piece of property with a variety of uses this just seemed to make more sense to do it in this fashion and start with that smaller section. Mr. Johnson: Who was the firm you hired to do the construction drawings? Chief Brown: Chairman, Commissioners; Studio ❑ Architects was the local firm that was hired and they have subcontracted some work with the firm out of Albuquerque who has a little bit more background in Police and Fire facilities. Excuse me, no it was not Studio D, my apologies, Studio ❑ was the one that did, I think, Station 7. Gary Williams is the firm. Mr. Johnson: And they subbed to the firm then. Chief Brown: In Albuquerque? Yes sir, I could get you that name, Mr. Johnson if you are interested. Mr. Johnson: I am, you could send it through the Chair. Chief Brown: We will provide that information for you. Based on the last project meeting, the timeline that was given was that we still hopefully would be looking at some type of ground breaking in February time frame, and about a 1 fi-month completion for the project. So hopefully by June or so of 2015 is kind of where we are on track for. This is one of the documents that was presented to City Council and the Planning & Zoning Board that shows more of the overall conceptual master plan for the area. The 350 acres, I do not know if you can see my mouse curler here, starts at this northeast corner, runs down, comes around this leased property, which is a gravel pit, an existing gravel pit, comes down to the south corner, approximately right in this area of the new Water Reclamation Plant, so it is just kind of diagonal from where that property is. Over across Sonoma Ranch, there is a little corner piece here, that is on the west side of Sonoma Page 4 of 23 Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Ranch Blvd. Then goes due north up and jogs over. That is approximately 350 acres. The 54 acres that was zoned is roughly in this corner area here. One of the things that has come up through the Zoning process, just to provide a little bit of information to the Board, a couple of issues that were brought up when this went through public hearing at the Planning & Zoning Commission at a couple of public meetings that were hosted for the community, as well at the City Council meeting when the zoning was approved, was related to concerns about the proximity of the complex to existing homes; was it going to block views, was it going to do some of those things. A couple of these next photos were provided by the Facilities management staff at that presentation to demonstrate that we believe we have selected a location on the site that will minimize all of those potential negative impacts to the surrounding neighborhood. You can see this is where the East Mesa Public Safety Complex will be. Here is existing housing, and in most instances we are not blocking any type of view of the primary section of the Organ Mountains. We are really more to the South and East from what the view line is. This again shows now North along the property line what the views look like, and that they are somewhat protected also from the East. Here is the Water Reclamation, am I using the correct term ❑r. Garcia, is that Water Reclamation Plant? Dr. Garcia confirmed. The Water Reclamation Plant that Utilities has constructed in this lower section. This is viewing directly from Sonoma Ranch right across the street, and this power line, the extension of Camino Coyote, which in essence will run right along this area, which will be the entrance to property and access to the facility. And again, you can see we are down in this area, not right up against any of the existing residential homes. We are in somewhat of a depression and that was done intentionally. That portion of the site was selected so that we were lower. You can see there is quite an elevation change to the existing residential property. There is also some terrain and an existing hill. All of this is intended to be left to provide a buffer from our facility to the residents. We moved as far South as we could in all practicality into this lower area, so that the height of the building would not create a visual obstruction for the residents in that area. We believe we have tried to take steps wherever we can to lessen the potential negative impact on the neighborhood, put the facility in a location that will provide good access for us, as well as the Police Department, and not impact the neighborhood negatively. This is from the top of the ridge looking back down towards the South. The building itself will sit down in this general area. This is what it will somewhat look like as far as size and scale and from standing on that hill, you can see Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 5 of 23 even at the southerly part of the residential area we will not be blocking the view of the Organ Mountains. The exterior elevations that are shown here are as far as the layout of the building, the L-type shape, those are still very much in line with what the building will look like. These were more conceptual drawings in the early stages. Another thing that we have heard from the community, since these were the photos that were shown, or the renderings that were shown, was that they felt a more southwestern colors would be more appropriate, so we have taken that back to the design team and informed them, that we need to look at some tans, and browns, and possibly grays and so forth, as opposed to this little lighter coloration. Again, this is still very much in line with what the construction will look like. This portion of the building, the two- story, is the Police Department area. This section is the Fire Station. There is a joint lobby area, common lobby that the public will come into and then depending on what their need is, Fire or Police services, they will go either left to our station, or right to the Police Department. There is a common classroom area that can be scheduled for Police training, Fire training, joint training, and potentially can be used as a community room for Council or neighborhood meetings. That sits somewhat in this corner on the first floor. Then there is a sub -floor that will be the basement workout area, gymnasium, locker rooms, showers, and some of those things that will also be used by both Police and Fire. There is some shared use, obviously the parking lot, front and rear, and utilities and all of those things are where we are seeing some of our cost savings by both of those feeding Fire and Police. Mr. Chairman, members of the Committee, any questions related to East Mesa Public Safety Complex? Mr. Uhlig: Will this be a LEED site building. Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, Mr. Uhlig; we are shooting for LEE❑ certification. I d❑ not know whether, gold, silver, platinum, where it is going to be, but it is being designed to meet the LEE❑ certification. Mr, Uhlig: Another question, what is that tower? Chief Brown: That is a stairwell that goes to the second floor and then continues, so that you have stair access to the roof. Primarily the purpose for that is maintenance of HVAC units, maintenance of the roof, those sorts of things as opposed to some type of just general stairwell hatch, or anything along those lines. Mr. Uhlig: Is there was an elevator in there. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 6 of 23 Chief Brown: We are required to have an elevator based on ADA, so there will be in the front lobby an elevator as well as the stairwell. It is a secondary means of egress and I believe there is also a stairwell, probably on this far end, for the Police Department also. There would be a stairwell coming down to the first floor. Mr. Uhlig: Is there are any special issues you have for Police, Fire, or Police service because of the service you do, does LEEDS cause any special issues? Chief Brown: If I am understanding your question correctly, I don't think it causes us any problems other than in one of the challenges we have had here is trying to get the natural light into the sections of the buildings we need to. One of the problems, it can potentially create for us on the Fire side, is in the apparatus bay. To get some of the natural light, one method of doing that, and you can see that they are showing that here, are overhead doors with glass in them. That allows more heat into the bay. We do store medications on our apparatus that is heat sensitive and so at times that could be problematic. Mr. Johnson: That is the kind of issue. Chief Brown: As far as the Police Department, I don't recall anything through our discussions where necessarily the LEED issues were going to be a problem based on their service delivery. Mr. Chairman, moving on to other aspect of the Public Safety Impact Fees that we have, I am proud to say, have spent some of that money. It was on the November 3rd City Council meeting, the purchase of the fire engine for this facility was approved. That was paid for or is going to be paid for out of the Public Safety Impact fees. That was an item on our Impact Fee Capital Improvement Plan. The cost was approximately $430,000. We are also purchasing a new fire engine for Station 7. That was not being done by Impact Fees because that fire engine was put in service prior to the adoption of the ordinance, so as the community is well aware of, we can't replace existing equipment. This has to be adding to our service level. The replacement of Fire Station 7 is being done through the City's Vehicle Acquisition Fund. The purchase of Fire Engine 8 is through Impact Fees. One of the reasons we went ahead and move forward with that purchase at this time, was we were able to save approximately $30,000 by placing both order at once. We got a slight discount on the units and it also keeps us from having to pay the typical 3-5% price increase we see at the start of every year by getting that order in prior to January 1st. Overall we felt working with the City Management was a good way to save and bring more value to the dollars we were spending. Fire Engine 8 specifically, we will put a delay on that build time. It is about 10 months to build a unit, so they won't start on it until probably April or May of 2015, which should put its arrival Page 7 of 23 Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 here several months prior to the opening of the station. This is a similar unit, this is the same manufacturer, and this is a Spartan ERV, which stands for Emergency Response Vehicles. This is the unit that was put in service at Station 5, which is on Porter Road, earlier this year. We are using that same manufacturer, so it will in essence look almost identical to this unit with a few minor modifications. Mr. Suttmiller: Where are you going to house it until you have the new house? Chief Brown: I am sure we can find some place to house it, but that is one of the reasons we are trying to time it as closely as possible to the completion of the station. Once we receive them from the factory, it is usually a two to three month process to do the in-service, to register them through the State, to put all the loose equipment on, to do all of those sorts of things. If the unit arrives hopefully in that February — March timeframe of 2016, by the time it goes through that new vehicle processing, and gets everything installed, it will probably be more that May — June timeframe. S❑ it would be really ideal if we can just roll it right out from the service center with the new sticker on it, and drive it straight over to the station. Mr. Johnson: If this was purchased off an open existing, open contract. It wasn't a bid was it? Chief Brown: I believe we used the Houston -Galveston contract for this, the HGAC contract for both of the units. The last thing I have Mr. Chairman is the updated fund balance based on the end of October. This does not show an expenditure yet for the Fire Engine 8, for $430,000.00 since the Council did not approve that till November 31d. As you can see, total revenues here to date, has been $87,000. We have had some interest earnings. Total fund increase for this Fiscal Year (FY) has been $92,000.00. Our beginning fund balance at the start of the FY on July 1st was $1,046,000.00 and some change. We are currently sitting at a fund balance of $1,138,944.00. Our intent currently is that remaining funds in this Public Safety account will g❑ towards the East Mesa Public Safety Complex. How that is going to be done, we are actually meeting with our Legal Department tomorrow to have some discussion about whether we need to identify certain aspects of the building, that this will pay for, or whether we can just take the funds and put them into the pot with the Bond money that the City has identified for the project or exactly the legalities of how that needs to work. At this point in time the intent of the City is to use as much of this Public Safety Impact Fee money as we can, most likely for the East Mesa Public Safety Complex, and put that money directly into this project, which we believe is directly benefiting the primary growth area for Las Cruces. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Page 8 of 23 Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Mr. Johnson: Now including East Mesa Chief Brown: Yes. With that Mr. Chairman, I would offer Mr. Martin to add anything that I failed to cover or be happy to answer any questions you may have. Chair Hamilton: Is there are any questions. Chief Montoya: The architectural term that I was looking for is RMKM design out of Albuquerque. Chair Hamilton: Thank you. Mr. Bower: Did the public comments of perception of the coloring and architecture subside a little. Chief Brown: I believe so. The Bureau of Land Management is currently taking public comments on the Recreation and Public purpose. So I know there are some public comments they are receiving. I believe it has more to do with questions about intersection of Camino Coyote and Sonoma Ranch and some those sorts of things. To our knowledge we have done a pretty good job in trying to alleviate the concerns the public has. Both Chief Montoya and I have made ourselves available to go out and speak to neighborhoods, to speak to individual residents, and to try to hear their concerns. We truly want to be a good neighbor for the community and in fact during the design phase, since there were concerns about height, we even went back to the design team and told them we need to look for every opportunity we can to try to lower this building. It is not going to go from two-story to one-story, but if we can reasonably remove a foot off of each story and bring it down 1 Y2 or 2 feet, then we need to look for ways to do that and try to address the concerns that were brought forth. Mr. Martin: So far obviously as you can see, everything looks reasonably good. Our staff is reviewing a copy of the RPP lease from BLM, right now. Mr. Suttmiller: So you do intend to change the color. Chief Brown: That is our intent. We have told them we want to see some color schematics that have the tans and light browns, and more of those desert tones that what was shown here. Mr. Suttmiller: How that effects LEEDS? Chief Brown: From the discussions we have had, it is not going to be something that will have a significant impact. We're not talking about dark brown colors instead a little bit softer colors, some browns, earth tones. Our intent is to try to d❑ everything we can to make it fit in a little bit better. The purpose of the Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 9 of 23 rendering they provided is computer generated. I don't believe it was ever the design team intent to say, we are going to have this bright white building out there. I thought somebody had asked about the zoning that was approved. It was, I believe it was C-3 conditional, so commercial zoning with conditions. There were conditions placed by City Council on height of future buildings and so forth. With that Mr. Chairman, I believe that is all we have. Chair Hamilton: One thing on the agenda, the proposed CiAC meeting agenda that we talked about last week, or last month. This is November now. What our intent would be is to set up the important factors and if we need to meet every month, we are going to meet every month. We are going to leave the flexibility in place that if we do not have a lot of things going on in the summertime we may take a month or two sabbatical in there. The thing that we want to do on the current project updates, is to have one of those in January, February, and March and then, probably the third quarter, have another overview. If it happens to be July, August, and September; just too kind of move those dates around instead of trying to get an update just in one month of all the projects we have from all the sources of Impact Fee renderings that we look at here. Chief Brown: In my perception this is item Z on the agenda, so if we are moving on, that was how we had set it up on the agenda. The discussion you are starting into was really more the second agenda item. S❑ if you are ready to move on to that, by all means please. Chair Hamilton: Is there anything on the first agenda item that needs to be returned to? Mr. Uhlig: What else is in store for the additional 50 acres? Chief Brown: The building itself, the foot print with the parking area, the drainage structures, will probably take somewhere, I would imagine, in the neighborhood of 8 to14 potential acres of that. As far as the remainder, there are going to be some initial walking trails that are going to be available. A lot of that is going to remain in the natural state to provide a buffer to the residential area, and a buffer for our building, because also, especially more on the Police services side, there are some things that take place there that they do not necessarily want everybody standing looking right over the back fence into their yard. It is intended to provide a buffer on both sides. There have been discussions over the past about the potential additions of maybe a crime lab at some point in the future, or a training building that would be used more for classroom training, not driving, track and shooting range, and those sorts of things. That could potentially occur; if and when we were to d❑ something along those lines, we would have to go back to Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 10 of 23 BLM. We would have to adjust our master plan. There would be a public input process that would be required in order for us to add those structures and do those sorts of things. Anything that is done from here on out very much will be done in public view with plenty of opportunity for public input. Mr. Uhlig: There is no tall communication tower or anything associated with the building? Chief Brown: Not at this time. But there may be some roof mounted antennas but nothing of any real significance. The fact that we have a direct view to A Mountain or Tortugas Mountain, that is our primary line of site to get the repeater for our radios, and then there is going to be the computer underground cable fiber optics brought in for the facility from further to the West. Mr. Martin: Along those lines, the 350 acres of the growth of the city continues to the east, East Mesa may be the center of the city several years from now. 5o it gives us more latitude to address under that recreation public purpose use. If you have ever been to Desert Trails Community Park, a large portion of the property as Travis referenced, will remain that way, and a lot of the trail systems would be similar to what is there because Bureau of Land Management does like us in these types of situations, to potentially keep as much of the natural habitat that is there for recreational use. But there will a transparency of the process as we g❑ forward of 350 acres, but there is room to grow so if there are other public safety needs or other City needs at that location we have latitude over time to address them. Chair Hamilton: Any reason for not asking for the zoning on all of it. Chief Brown: I thinks the third page of your slide has the entire property. This is the conceptual site plan that was submitted to the Bureau of Land Management for the recreation and public purpose lease. This is, at this point in time, our guiding document, that shows the potential for additional recreational uses, traditional parks, possibly playing fields, off -road bike area, and by that we mean mountain bikes not motorcycles. This is a conceptual plan, but this is somewhat the guiding document moving forward for a complete build -out and then as you can see a large majority is open space, walking trails that will still continue to be accessible to the public and trying to take advantage of the trails that are already out there in as many cases as we can, because there is quite an existing network of trails and 4-wheeler roads and so forth. Any significant change from this conceptual plan would require an addendum through the Bureau of Land Management, because that is the purpose of the lease for 20 years for us to build out this whole project. They still retain ownership of the property until everything is finalized and they go ahead and present us with a patent to it and that is 20, possibly 25 years down the road. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 11 of 23 Chair Hamilton: On this particular map is there any near future plans to extend Mesa Grande or is that just a pipe dream in 24 years? Chief Brown: There has been discussions about the extension of that, but I can't say to my knowledge there is nothing definite in the works. I think that will be driven by development moving forward and really that need as you in the Committee are well aware of. Now that the Road Impact Fees have been rescinded, we are really back to a point where developers will be responsible for that type of infrastructure in our community, as they have been for years. It is planned as you can see it includes the Metropolitan Planning Organizations major thoroughfares, and s❑ it does show that extending Mesa Grande, extending down here, ultimately there is going to be a road going through the property making that connection, for us as the Fire Department based on our response model of truck responding from a central location. That road will improve our response times, and the ability for this station to cover growth out to the East as the city moves forward. It will provide us then another point of access for the Police Department, as well going to the North now and to Highway 70, and obviously now Sonoma Ranch, going all the way South to University. That is one of the reasons, why we felt this was such a good location for a Public Safety Facility, is because we are on a North -South major thoroughfare. Lohman is already a North -South major thoroughfare, and we expect it will continue to be one of the ones developed going East, because of the commercial property. Chair Hamilton: Thank you Travis. I have one last question just for informational purposes. The road that extends Sonoma Ranch from Lohman all the way to University, is there a plan in design already in place for that to become 4 lanes, or it is that going to remain 2 lanes for some period? Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, the way that road was designed, was that it could be expanded in the future as the need exists. I am unaware of a specific time frame for that. I think that will again be driven by development by use and by growth, but it was designed so that it could be expanded moving forward. Chair Hamilton: I don't think growth has much to d❑ with it. Use certainly has. It seems like it get pretty hectic on that stretch. Chief Brown: That road goes through, it is one of these instances at least in my perspective as a member of the City, the City took some steps to try to provide a benefit to the school system, to the county, relief to the area, and obviously to our residents, but really that road was put through a section of property and county property. Moving forward I am sure we will continue to try to be good partners and improve that, expand it as is necessary, but I don't not think that is on anybody's short list of items at this point. Chair Hamilton: More for relief purposes. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Page 12 of 23 Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Chief Brown: Yes. I'm ready to move on to item 2. Chair Hamilton: Is there is anything else on item A from the agenda. Anyone from the Committee? Anyone from the audience? Thank you Travis, please move onto item B. Chief Brown: As you have in front of you, I attempted to take the example that Mr. Bower provided at the last meeting from the discussion trying to include some of the things that I felt I had heard from the committee about what you were hoping to accomplish moving forward. It was my intent for this now to serve as a working draft to try to get to where we need to be. Chair Hamilton: Says it is a good draft. Chief Brown: l understood from you and from the rest of the group, that you were willing to roll up your sleeves and d❑ whatever was necessary to get us to our deadline. We appreciate that, so this is just a method as laid out by Mr. Bower to try to show all of the needs, not just the public safety but including the current project updates. My thought in putting them all together on one meeting was moving forward. As far as public safety, we're pretty much going to have one to report on from previous presentations provided by Utilities Department. A lot of the things that have already been done with Impact Fees as far as current project, seemed like those updates might get shorter moving forward and a 3- 6 month period might not be a whole lot to report on, but definitely however you want to move things around, our goal is to work with you for this to be something that seems reasonable and can be accomplished working together. Tell me how you want it moved around and that is what we will do. Chair Hamilton: I thought the plan you gave us before Travis, was very good information. think Max tweaked it to the point that made it a little better. I think the combined overlay that you presented here is very good. The thing that would like to see, and this may be taking steps backwards, so if it is, you tell me how much trouble it is to do this. What I would like to see is, from your original rendering of this particular format and the schedule we pretty well agreed to lineout and roll our sleeves up and work toward getting resolved, is to have your copy, and have it highlighted and then changes that we made today. Then as we make changes going forward we can identify those so we kind of have a starting point. Ron and I take this and tried to compare it to the minutes of last meeting and it just got confusing as to what we did move around and how we can get this thing solidified. Chief Brown: Just to provide clarification for the group, what l presented last time was just more of a general suggestion. This is a suggestion from us as staff. I had not taken it to a point of necessarily laying out to the extent as you said Mr. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 13 of 23 Bower took and improved on it. I would really say that this is our starting draft to move forward with, and highlight, and underline, and move, and cross out and l will definitely make an effort to make sure that this draft now becomes our initial draft and if we make changes we will provide both the initial one and any changes so you can see those moving forward. If I am understanding that is what you are looking for. Chair Hamilton: Is everyone is ok with that. Mr. Johnson: Last time that was good. That one is very good. The fact that Max has summarized it I think was very good. I think that can be two free standing documents. One of the questions raised to you on this is that maybe Loretta had the answer as we were looking to see if the RFP's for the Land Use Assumption and the Impact Capital Improvement Plan were going to be in one RFP or are they going to be in two. In this layout you have them in two. We were thinking if you brought them into one, they would tie in better together in terms of time. I did not know we were discarding this, but rather we were going to update it and clean it up and still have a summary like this, that is very good, that focuses us. You have more details here that some of us nerds, we will ask you what happened on the January 5t". Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, Mr. Johnson, my apologies for not getting this in the packet. So I really think we are pretty much on the same page. From the suggestions that came out of the committee last time, we did go back, we brought forward the idea that the Committee had in reference to one RFP being more beneficial that was run through Ms. Reyes and myself to the City Management; they agreed. Mr. Martin's staff now has a draft RFP in place. It is a single RFP, so I do have for you a new document that identifies that. Just as you said Mr. Johnson, I apologize for the confusion. It was not my intent to throw this document out, just as you said Mr. Johnson, we are looking at this as being two documents. This is the one that is going to show us the RFP process, that internal workings, when we have to get things to City Council based on those sorts of requirements. This was intended to help us work directly with the CIAC, to say here are the topics of discussion that we believe need to occur in this form before you. If there is something missing off of here, then we will make those changes. We will provide you with this new updated version that shows the timeline with one RFP for both the Land Use Assumptions and the Impact Fee plan. Mr. Johnson: I presume that the SAC will issue the RFP? Chief Brown: Yes. It is scheduled to g❑ before them on the 25t" which is next Tuesday I believe. It has been drafted and both Chief Montoya and I will have a representative, either ourselves or a representative from our Departments that will also sit as reviewers through that process since it directly impacts the Public Safety. That single page document should replace the initial one, Page 14 of 23 Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 as now our timeline for the internal requirements for us to get through the process and get things before City Council on Work Sessions as well as ultimately for final approval by the August 1st deadline of 2016. Mr. Johnson: Mr. Chairman, I would say for the CIAC, what you have suggested is, in January we would be doing Parks, in February we would be doing Utilities, and in March we would be doing Fire. That had been your pattern in the past and then we would start that back again in July or in August. So that you would have those three things being done, Chief, at the same time as you're doing the history or whatever the way Max has it laid out, which is fine so that we can still hear from them. Another comment I had was that at the backend, you have Parks starting up and I think everybody should note that back here we have, in 8/16, we have the Parks activity, as it should, be starting up. That is the kind of thing we want to see, and then Utilities would be starting up someplace over here. Chief Brown: Yes. The intent would be, once we, actually before we get to this point, as we get closer to that deadline, then Mr. Johnston is going to have something somewhat similar that is going to lay out all the things that he believes he needs to come and discuss in front of you as a Committee and how that is going to look. Then ❑r. Garcia is going to in essence do the same thing. So you always have an idea of what needs to be accomplished and where we are within that time line to meet our deadline that has been set by the Ordinance. The only other thing I would like to throw out there is if you look at 5/16, over under the Utilities column, there is review fee structure and that is something ❑r. Garcia wanted to do with the Board, because of the second fees going into effect, and revisit that, and just make sure that things are on track. That is not necessarily starting the complete review of the Impact Fees that is just saying now that this has been in place, let us see if we were even close. Mr. Johnson: It is a step up. Chief Brown: If I understood correctly, we would be looking at, so as far as on the Public Safety side for the January meeting, no concerns about the two topics that were shown there as proposed for the agenda. Am I hearing that correctly? The review of State Law, City Ordinance, CIAC responsibilities and just a review again of the Land Use Assumptions, and why we are doing those as topics for the meeting along with an update by the Parks Department is what heard. Chair Hamilton: That is right. Now the only question I have got here, is in the review of State Law, City Ordinance and CIAC responsibilities, are you going to have Marcy Driggers come back in and make a presentation. Is that your intent? Chief Brown: That was our intent Mr. Chairman, but that is if... Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Page 15 of 23 Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Chair Hamilton: How does everyone feels about that. Mr. Uhlig: We were told very specifically, if it does not involve Impact Fees, it is none of our business. Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, the only thing I would point out, is if the Board decides that you are not interested in that that is fine. Part of the goal of this also was to create a consistent process for us as staff, remembering that by the time Mr. Johnson or Dr. Garcia gets here, two years, or four years down the road, then the Board may have changed and this may be a necessity. If it is not a necessity right now, then we can scratch that from a topic that needs to be covered. That is your digression. Chair Hamilton: I believe in theory you are exactly right. I cannot argue the point at all. The thing I am saying is this particular Committee has been in service now going on two years, and I do not know how you feel about another update. If you feel like it is important to refresh all that, then I would suggest that we meet to ask Ms. ❑riggers to join us and walk us back through the processes and do that again. Mr. Johnson: We do not know that State Law has not changed. Chair Hamilton: That is very true. Mr. Johnson: There has to be someone to say no. Chair Hamilton: Most likely it would be a good idea to have a review of all those things in a particular time frame and January would be a good way to start that off just to make sure everybody is still clear. As Travis pointed out to me, in the minutes of the previous meeting, you know, my memory gets a little short too. Mr. Johnson: We have discussed the possibility of maybe altering in some framework, the legal responsibilities of our body. In talking to Mr. Garza about that, or whomever, and at some time that is still topic, that I think we need to address. Chair Hamilton: I have that under a discussion item for us shortly. Chief Brown: Okay, Mr. Chairman, if I am understanding the conversation, we will leave that on there. I will let Ms. ❑riggers know that really it is more just coming in, reaffirming with the Board that there has been no change to State Law, that previous information she has provided you is still accurate, and make sure there is no questions from the Board but not necessarily a full blown Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 16 of 23 start from scratch presentation that she may have provided to you two years ago or something along those lines. Am I summarizing that? Chair Hamilton: That is a better use of our time. Not that we are being critical or the information Ms. Driggers has to share but in the outlook of timing and everyone's time. Chief Brown: I appreciate that Mr. Chairman. I don't think, she will have a problem, not coming in and repeating herself for the sake of repeating herself, that it is not necessary. Chair Hamilton: I agree with that. Mr. Johnson: Some of us might or might not have had inquiries from other governmental bodies to function on their commissions. I have for one have and have rejected it based on the understanding, that I have limitations on how many commissions or what type of commission I could participate in. I think Dr. Garcia knows some of the rules here but it might be that Ms. Driggers can advise us, what commissions we can and cannot be on if we are already on, say the Rate Payers Commission and also CICA, and is there a conflict, because I have been invited to be on another one which I turned down because l thought it was a conflict. I know Dr. Garcia can address that, but it's probably better than Ms. Driggers. Chair Hamilton: That is a good point and another reason to have Marcy come in. Chief Brown: I would also suggest, and feel fairly confident, that Ms. Driggers would not mind that at all if there are specific questions that the Board may have. If you want to provide those ahead of time, then she can come prepared to answer those directly that might be outside, what she would normally cover, and that might be a better use of everyone's time as well. Chair Hamilton: If anyone has specific issues like that, that you would like to have Marcy address with us, then submit them to me, I'll get them to Alma and Alma can get those to Marcy. Chief Brown: The second topic we had under Public Safety, the review, really the purpose and requirements for the Land Use Assumption. Is that something that the Board has a similar feeling about as you did the initial topic that you have gone through that recently enough, you don't necessarily need someone to come back in and talk about how those Land Use Assumptions fit in this whole process and how they will be used? Chair Hamilton: I believe that we need to start from the beginning with this. None of us have been exposed to the Public Service side of this and we need to start from square one. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 17 of 23 Chief Brown: Alright. I believe that will be most likely Mr. David Weir, the Community Development Director. As we shared last time, the intent for the Land Use Assumption aspect of this, Community Development will be the Department responsible for facilitating and having oversight of the Land Use portion. When it shifts to the Impact Fee Plan Development that is where the Police Department and Fire Department then will take on more of that lead role working with the consultant. For the plan development aspect of it in working in conjunction obviously we will work together with Community Development and vice versa. Chair Hamilton: That's Weir. Chief Brown: Yes, we i r. Mr. Johnson: Mr. Chairman, what controversies, if any occurred? We are aware of the issues with Parks and we are aware of issues minimal with Utilities. But were there any issues? Chair Hamilton: That is a good point. If there are hot spots out there, we just need to be aware of that, because we are going to be facing that from the community. We just need to be aware and not be blindsided; we need to know what is happening. Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I tried to provide some of the information today about the concerns that had been brought forward on the East Mesa Complex, so that you are well aware of those and at least have that information if you get approached by someone in the community and know what we as the City are doing to try to alleviate those and will continue to try to do that. Chair Hamilton: That makes it much simpler for us to talk about those things and have some background for it. Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, we will have the update of the existing projects by Parks at the January meeting also. Do l have that correct? Chair Hamilton: That is correct. Chief Brown: The February meeting, based on what was said earlier, what i would try to leave just one topic under the Public Safety, the history and review of existing plan to try to start bringing the Committee up to speed on what occurred and how we got the plan and any hot spots as you put them. We would also have a project update by Utilities at that February meeting. is that correct? Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 18 of 23 Chair Hamilton: That is correct. And this review is going to be sort of a synopsis of the previous consulting reports and the outcome of the processes. Chief Brown: Exactly. My thought there was we will provide the full report to the Committee prior. We will come in, we will talk because the full report since the Drainage Road and Public Safety Impact, these were all done under one contract. The full report actually includes all the information about roads and drainage as well. We will provide the entire report but we will really be concentrating more on the Public Safety aspect of it and trying to provide some of the background information from all the public meetings that occurred and some of the concerns that were given by the public during that process that got us ultimately in front of City Council. That was how i was envisioning that, if you need something different, please just let me know. Chair Hamilton: How big is that report? Is it just 100 pages or? Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, the report itself is probably, I would say 75-80 pages. The Public Safety portion of it is maybe 15. Chair Hamilton: I do not really have a problem with producing 75 pages of documentation for us, but if it is going to be huge, I do not want the City to be out the expense and the trouble to replicate 200 or 300 pages. I think 75 pages would be useful information just to let us read through and understand what happened before from the consultants' viewpoint, and then what the outcome from the decisions made. Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, we can provide that electronically if that is an interest ahead of time and perhaps just reproduce the Public Safety portion of the report for your booklets. Since that is what we will be focusing on, but I can give you the entire report electronically if you wanted to review the other areas. Chair Hamilton: We can still bring that up, review it, and if we have questions, we can taring those in — yeah. Mr. Johnson: Will there be a perspective Mr. Chairman, where we can look at how the fees have performed at this point or will we have to wait, in other words, we have had a few years of performance, how did the consultant meet its expectations? Chair Hamilton: I think that is part of the summary that I would like to see. You know, I am thinking as we are going into this, and l guess it is best not to make assumptions, you know the first year how did they perform, the second year how did you build into this, and what was done with the money. You know, that is the bottom line to this whole process. Is it working? Is it not working? Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 19 of 23 Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman that was part of what I felt needed to be there. The report has in it, the projections that the consultant came up with that showed over a 10 year period, how much money they believe the fee would generate based on their projected Land Use Assumptions and so forth. So one of my attempts in that section was to show you this is what they projected you know. This is where we are at and I can tell you, just from memory they were projecting roughly, and the projection was a 10 year projection at that point for that report. They were projecting, for Public Safety only, a little bit over $7 Million in a ten year period. So on average about $700,000 per year. As you saw in the report today, we are going on three years, and we have $1.1 Million. So we are not, the growth has not hit their projections. Now they did say they anticipated it would remain flat and then creep up, but I still think when you see those numbers you will see a report where we are probably a little behind. So my hope was to provide all of that type of information, and again if there are other details, that you would like us to try to provide, I am more than happy to do that. Chair Hamilton: What you are pointing out is exactly what we are wanting to see. A lot of times if you are dealing with consultants, their ideas are somewhat screwed based on historical data that maybe we fell into a lull right at the point they were projecting from. They are going to take a toll on their projection, if you will, and not generate the money. It could work the opposite and I think with an understanding of what time frames that they were making the forecast from will help us see that a little more clearly. Because if you are in three years at $1 Million, you should have by now $2.1 Million and I would be a little concerned about that to know where the impacts really came from. Chief Brown: I will do my best to provide that information at the February meeting. Chair Hamilton: Thank you Travis. Chief Brown: At the March meeting, were you interested in having the Public Safety, the current project update for Public Safety at the March meeting? Did I get that? Chair Hamilton: That is correct. Chief Brown: Alright, we would include that and if, I would suspect, if we did not have time to fully provide the information and detail you needed from the February meeting, then we could continue that discussion at the March meeting if that was appropriate. Chair Hamilton: I think that is good. Chief Brown: If I heard correctly, from that point you would be looking at July or August to start the current project updates over again? Was that correct? Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Page 20 of 23 Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Mr. Johnson: 10115 and 11115. Chief Brown: We will make those changes and Mr. Chairman, did you want to start those in August, the updates again or in September, six months from the last one, or how did you want to do it? Chair Hamilton: We can do that in September, October, and November. The only problem that we have got with November is, that depending on when Thanksgiving falls, we may have to adjust our meeting to a different time slot. What are your feelings on that guys? Do you want to do it August, September, October, or do you want to do that in that third Quarter? Max Bower: It does not matter to me. Mr. Johnson: I think we are ok. I can pull up November then. Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman, as we get closer we can definitely adjust, that is a year out. Chair Hamilton: We can start that back in September then. Interim review, until we get the methodology correct. Chief Brown: Very good. What I will do, is start in September with Parks again, Utilities in October, and if for some reason the November meeting becomes a problem, then we can update. Alright. And then other than that, I will make some adjustments to the schedule as suggested. I will bring that back at the next meeting and give you another look at it to include the initial copy that we worked off today so you can see where we started and so Mr. Chairman, the only other thing that I would have if there were any questions related to the new timetable that was provided based on the combined RFP. Chair Hamilton: Is there were any comments. Mr. Johnson: No. I just like the fact that he included Utilities and included Parks in here. There is an awareness that the team is working together. Chair Hamilton: Exactly. Chief Brown: Thank you Mr. Chairman. Chair Hamilton: Thank you Travis. We appreciate it. Alright with all of that information, we had talked at our last meeting about setting something up with Mr. Garza and if Mr. Garza was not available then possibly with Mr. Denmark. I would still prefer, if we could, have the City Manager with us at some point, as we look into the scheduling of a Work Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20. 2014 Page 21 of 23 Session meeting. That is kind of not going to work. We are going to have to have them visit us in one of our regular public meetings if we are going to do that. Well, Alma, I don't know if you had a chance to check with Robert to clear his calendar for some date that he might be available. Ms. Ruiz: I sent an email and we were waiting to hear from you Chair, in regards to whether or not you still wanted to have it, since it was not going to be a closed meeting. Chair Hamilton: Well I do not think we have any secrets, you know, it is just that it would be nice to have a one-on-one with Robert just to discuss where we started, what we have done, where we are going, and make sure we are doing things that the City needs us to do. I think by the job description Ms. Driggers has provided to us, we're certain that we are, but you know if we are missing something out there that may be a little more obscure, that we need to be brushing up on a little tighter, well I'd like to see us be able to d❑ that and have an open discussion. Ms. Ruiz: Excuse me Mr. Chairman, would it be then under new business? Chair Hamilton: Yes, under new business or it could fall under discussions I guess. General discussions. Mr. Johnson: Do you want to schedule that after we have this year-end report done? In other words, we have a report due in April. Do you want to have it when we have our annual report? Chair Hamilton: That would be probably be the ideal timing. Yes. I believe that we try to get that started in January and have it complete sometime in the 1st Quarter. You know I said April, I usually set that as an arbitrary guide for me, April 1 st. So I feel like the 1 st Quarter would work out fine. March would be a good timeframe to shoot for and if you could check with Mr. Garza in the meantime and be sure that timing would work for him. You know we may have concerns that we would like to ask him of and you know it would be a free exchange back and forth, and give us an opportunity to review what we have done through our annual report and see if he has any questions or concerns about that at the same time. Ms. Ruiz: I will get back to you via e-mail. Chair Hamilton: Thank you, I appreciate it. 5. Committee General Discussion. Chair Hamilton: Ck and so our next meeting, Christmas falls at an odd time, so I am thinking we probably need to abandon our December meeting if that is appropriate for everyone. Making our next meeting January 22, 2015. The other thing Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Page 22 of 23 being if you all feel we have to have a meeting in December, we can move that up to the 2nd or 2"d Thursday or however, you'd like to handle that. Ms. Ruiz: The 31d Thursday in December would be the 181h, if the Committee would like to meet an your regular meeting date. Chair Hamilton: My apologies, I never make mistakes, I'm not sure what happened. I must have looked at the 4th Thursday. Mr. Johnson: I will be out of town most of December. Chair Hamilton: Eugene what do you think? Mr. Suttmiller: I do not feel we need to have a meeting in December but I'll be available if we have one. Chair Hamilton: Max and Chrys. Mr. Ulhig: If something needs to be brought up in December but if not, then no need for a meeting. Chair Hamilton: The December meeting is cancelled —our next meeting will be January 22, 2015. Ms. Ruiz: I need to correct you again, Mr. Chairman, but the 3rd Thursday is January 15, 2015. Chair Hamilton: Thank you Alma. 6. Next Meeting Date. Chair Hamilton: The next meeting will be January 15, 2015, at 1:30 p.m. l_. Public Participation. None. 8. Board Comments. Chair Hamilton: Alright, I appreciate everybody being here today. Chief Brown, thank you again for the diligence you put forward on the presentation. I think we have a schedule now that makes perfect sense and I am looking forward to getting started to work with Public Safety. Chief Brown: Mr. Chairman it is truly an effort of all the staff, it is not just me they are reviewing, they are providing input — it's a group effort. Chair Hamilton: Is there were any other comments. Capital Improvements Advisory Committee Page 23 of 23 Regular Meeting Minutes for November 20, 2014 Mr. Bowers: Another good year. We have a great City staff so I would like to reiterate that you guys do a great job. It is a pleasure to work with you all. Mr. Johnson: Happy New Year. 9. Adiournment. Johnson motioned to adjourn the meeting. Mr. Bower seconds motion. All in favor - Aye. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at approximately 2:43 p.m. 9�K 40 liM- Ar%Illll CIAC Chair