Loading...
February 16, 2016 B&P1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 MESILLA VALLEY METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN FACILITIES ADVISORY COMMITTEE The following are minutes for the meeting of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities Advisory Committee of the Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) which was held February 16, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. in Commission Chambers at Dona Ana County Government Building, 845 Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico. MEMBERS PRESENT: George Pearson, Chair (City of Las Cruces Citizen Rep) Jolene Herrera (NMDOT) Ashleigh Curry (Town of Mesilla Citizen Rep) Andrew Bencomo (Ped. Community Rep) (arrived 5:06) Lance Shepan (Mesilla Marshall's Department) Gabriel Rochelle (Bicycle Community Rep) Samuel Paz (Dona Ana County) James Nunez (City of Las Cruces Rep) Mark Leisher (DAC Citizen Rep) MEMBERS ABSENT: David Shearer (NMSU - Environmental Safety) STAFF PRESENT: Tom Murphy (MPO) Andrew Wray (MPO) Michael McAdams (MPO) OTHERS PRESENT: Becky Baum, Recording Secretary, RC Creations, LLC 1. CALL TO ORDER (5:02 p.m.) Pearson: Okay. We ready to go? We might as well get going. We've got a quorum here so I'll call the meeting to order. I'll just have the members introduce themselves and who they represent. We'll start from Mark's end this time. Introduce yourself and who you represent. Leisher: Mark Leisher, represent the Citizens of Dona Ana County. Herrera: Jolene Herrera, NMDOT. Shepan: Lance Shepan, Town of Mesilla. Curry: Ashleigh Curry, Community Representative, Town of Mesilla. Rochelle: Oh it's not on? Okay. Sorry. Pearson: Try again. Rochelle: Gabriel Rochelle, Bicycling Community Representative. 1 2 Nunez: James Nunez, City of Las Cruces. 3 4 Paz: Samuel Paz, Dona Ana County. 5 6 Pearson: And I'm George Pearson, City of Las Cruces Representative. 7 8 2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA 9 10 Pearson- Next order of business is Approval of the Agenda. Do we have any 11 changes or comments on the agenda? I'll hear a motion to approve the 12 agenda as presented. 13 14 Rochelle: So moved. 15 16 Pearson: Moved by Gabriel. 17 18 Herrera: Second. 19 20 Pearson: Second by Jolene. All in favor of the agenda as, as presented, "aye." 21 22 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 23 24 Pearson: Any opposed? Hearing none, we'll move forward from that. 25 26 3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES 27 28 3.1 January 19, 2016 29 30 Pearson: Next is Approval of the Minutes of the January 19th, 2016 meeting. Any 31 discussion on minutes? Hearing none, I'll hear a motion to approve the 32 minutes as presented. 33 34 Rochelle: So moved. 35 36 Curry: Second. 37 38 Wray: Who did the first movement? Did you ... 39 40 Pearson: Gabriel. 41 42 Wray; Gabriel did, okay. 43 44 Rochelle Yeah. Both of them. 45 2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Pearson: Did the motion and we have a second so all in favor of approving the minutes as presented, "aye." MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. Pearson: Any opposed? Hearing none, that's approved. 4. PUBLIC COMMENT Pearson: We're on to Public Comment. Any members of the public have an opportunity to address us and I see none I guess so we'll just move ahead. IIf] P1111:1iv, 61 6.1 Amendment to the MPO Bylaws Pearson: Action Items. Amendment to the MPO Bylaws. MICHAEL MCADAMS GAVE HIS PRESENTATION. Pearson: Okay. Any Committee Members have comments on that? Herrera: Mr. Chair. Pearson: Jolene. Herrera: I don't remember discussing the point about one of the ... Curry: Citizen Reps. Herrera: Yeah, the Citizen Representative part of it, which I'm fine with, I just don't remember discussing that at all. Pearson Okay. We discussed that during our discussion last time I think. That, that was new to me. McAdams: It, it was a, it's a suggestion by staff. Pearson: Right. McAdams: As an alternative. Herrera: I don't think it's a bad one. 3 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 Pearson: I think it's a good suggestion. It'll, it leads to transparency of the Committee. There'll be no accusations that "Well, staff just got together and decided something," so. McAdams: That was our, our position. Pearson: I like that. McAdams: Exactly, Pearson: I like the last one where if we, our membership does happen to fall below a certain member, certain number which we have 11 members when it's full. Murphy: Yeah but it's flexible. McAdams: When it's full. We have one absent, we have one ... Pearson: Right. McAdams: Removed. Pearson: So we have ten right now, so right now we would still need six to make a quorum. McAdams: Exactly. Pearson: So if for some reason we dropped off a couple more we could still do business with four members when that's a majority. So I like the last option. Curry: I do too. Herrera: Mr. Chair, Pearson: Yes. Herrera: I definitely remember discussing last time about whether we should have a majority of sitting members or the number five members. Pearson: Right. Herrera: That was a big discussion. So I like the one above, I guess Option 3. E 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: So it should stay at five? Cause otherwise, yeah cause we could meet at four, it would have to drop off quite a, membership would have to drop off rather. Then the Committee itself would be kind of in danger anyways. Herrera: Right. I wonder if maybe we need to add language about that in there just for clarity. I mean if there's, I don't know. Maybe it's not a big deal. Like you said maybe that, the Committee's in jeopardy and we have bigger problems but. Curry: Mr. Chair, Ms. Herrera. I'm not quite sure why Number 3 is, is better to you than Number 4 cause Number 4 does say "consist of five or a majority of sitting members," whichever's less. So it seems to cover more bases to have the fourth. Herrera: So how do we, how do we know which one it is then? So at, just at every meeting we choose? Curry: Well for, for example if, no it, it well it says "shall consist," but the, but sitting members is the number of members on the Committee as a total so if we have ten right now then we'd need six or five, whichever's less but if for example we only had eight sitting members then four would be enough. Herrera: Yeah. I just mean how do we make that clear to like the public or some, something? Like how do we know how many members we have? Curry: How many members are sitting members? Pearson: Well saying five would actually, would be clearer for when we come in we wouldn't have to have the discussion, "Well how many members do we need?" Rochelle: Right. Pearson: It's just five. Herrera: I guess that's what I'm trying to get at. I'm not asking the question correctly but also for transparency purposes if somebody from the public were to say, "Well there's only four people up there. Why are they having a meeting?" or something. I mean it'd be very clear to just say, "You need five for a quorum. That's what we have." Pearson. Yeah. Cause the other case, a lot of, lot of things would have to happen for ... Herrera: Right- 5 1 2 Pearson: That to be true so that simplifies it so yeah, I'd be go, I, 1 agree then with 3 three. So any other discussion? So somebody has to make a motion. 4 5 Rochelle: Mr. Chairman. 6 7 Pearson: Okay. 8 9 Rochelle: Yeah, I agree. I just wanted to say that I, 1 prefer three. I think four makes 10 things muddy. 11 12 Pearson: Okay. 13 14 Rochelle: Three is quite clear enough. 15 16 Pearson: So to move forward with this we need a motion. 17 18 Herrera: Mr. Chair. I move that we accept Option 3 for the change in Bylaws. 19 20 Rochelle: Second here. 21 22 Pearson: Okiay. 23 24 Murphy: Okay. 25 26 Pearson: So we have a motion and a second. Let's, all in favor say "aye." 27 28 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 29 30 Pearson: Any opposed? Hearing none, that passes with our recommendation. So 31 we can just clarify, that will go to the Policy Committee as a 32 recommendation there's changes ... 33 34 McAdams: Yes, 35 36 Pearson: To the Bylaws so the Bylaw could be, Policy Committee will then decide 37 probably at their next meeting, probably in April I suppose. 38 39 Murphy: Yes. 40 41 McAdams: Yes, 42 43 Pearson: And then we'll hear back at our April meeting, or do we have an April 44 meeting? Yeah, April meeting. Okay. 45 46 2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 6. COMMITTEE AND STAFF COMMENTS 6.1 MPO Staff Update: Missouri Study Corridor Update Pearson: So we're on to the Committee and Staff Comments. McAdams: We have one staff comment. Mr. Booth who was, we recommend to be just removed was removed at the Policy Committee and so that has taken place. Pearson: So we have a vacancy for a Bicycle Representative. McAdams: Yes. We, we are advertising a vacancy for the, for this position, for the opening. Pearson: So the Policy Committee doesn't have a meeting until April so until probably end of March you would say the public's welcome to send a letter of interest? McAdams: Yes. Pearson: Okay. Any other comments on that? McAdams: Okay. Now I'd like to turn the floor to Andrew to talk about the Missouri Avenue. Pearson: Okay. McAdams: Project. Wray: Thank you. We are planning to bring the information that we've collected so far regarding the Missouri Avenue Study Corridor to the TAC at their March meeting. We will be bringing this information to this Committee in April as well as briefing the Policy Committee on it in April as well. That's basically the extent of the update at the moment. We are hoping to have a public meeting sometime in March but we don't have a date or a venue completely firmly lined up yet so I don't want to make an announcement about that at this time. Does anyone have any questions? Thank you. Pearson: Okay. I had one other question for MPO staff in general. We were hearing about the MPO having a separate website. Is that happening or where are you with that? Wray: We're still working on it. That will, that will happen. We have run into a little hiccup that I don't want to elaborate on but we will get through it and I don't have a timeline though, unfortunately ... 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 2.8 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 3.6 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: Okay. Wray: As to when it, it will go live. Pearson: Okay. Thank you. 6.2 Local Projects update Pearson: So now we're on Local Project updates. City of Las Cruces. Nunez: Yes. I reviewed, talked to one of the PMs for the La Llorona construction project is complete in construction. They're just finishing up paperwork. The, the other trails project is, pre -con is being scheduled so they haven't kicked that off. And then the Elks project, the widening along, towards Engler, I don't know if you all are familiar with that area. Hadley, that also is a pre -con is being scheduled. So those two projects should kick off here soon. The, right now in design we have a pavement replacement project which I'm working on with the three other engineers in our group and that includes about 15 streets but on those projects we're mainly updating the ADA ramps. And then also looking through our letting schedule a number of projects in design: Willow, El Prado, those are, Crescent, those are all reconstruction. There's no widening or obtaining additional right-of-way that I know of so it'd be also updating all the ADA ramps. That's what I have. I could go on and name a few more, I mean there's Camino del Sol, there's Boston, Lavender, Farney, and then the Golf Club Road and Roadrunner, that intersection's going to be modified, changed. Pearson: Okay. The one that stood out to me was Farney because that has some of the traffic calming devices, the bulb -outs. I had sent an e-mail to the engineer and we got response, you're going to actually put up the, the speed, the radar speed signs, make a treatment much like and some peak speed tables so a treatment much like on Boutz between Main, no Valley and Avenida de Mesilla. So I just ... Nunez: So you spoke with Jennifer Allred, I mean ... Pearson: I think so. Nunez: I, Allred ... Pearson: It was by e-mail- Nunez: Jennifer, just .. 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: It's been a while. It was before Christmas so I, 1 think that's who that was so. Nunez: Yeah, over at, in Design, yeah. Pearson: When is that project happening? Nunez: I believe she's in design still so I, 1 can't predict that. Pearson: Is that like a summertime construction? Nunez: I don't think they turn them around that fast so. Pearson: Oh, so it's still later. Nunez: Yes. Pearson. Okay. But that's, I think that's on our priority list for bicycle route, Farney and those bulb -outs. Getting rid of those I think would be good. And I wonder if the speed table's even necessary with the radar indicators. Maybe just some rumble strips might be enough. Nunez: I'll write it down and I'll check. Pearson: Because I remember when, I use the, the Boutz roadway there and before they put the speed tables in with just the radar there it seemed like that, that was pretty effective. So I know the emergency services don't like those speed tables that much. Maybe just rumble strips and that, that might be something to experiment with and see if, cut down on the costs and make the emergency services a little bit happier. Nunez: I think, it says right here she's to be done with design by March 16th so that's a ways out from construction. Pearson: Okay. Okay. Dona Ana County have anything for us? Paz: Dripping Springs project is scheduled for completion in May and it's on track. Pearson: Okay. And Town of Mesilla? Nothing? Shepan: Nothing. Pearson: NMSU's not here. 0 1 6.3 NMDOT Projects update 2 3 Pearson: NMDOT. 4 5 Herrera: Thank you Mr. Chair. Just run down the list here, my list. I don't think you 6 guys have a list. The North Main project is finally complete. Yay. 7 8 Pearson: Really? 9 10 Herrera: I think for real this time. So that's good news. I did drive through there 11 today and I noticed there was a lot of debris in the bike lane path so I've 12 asked the District if they can sweep it and so hopefully we'll have a 13 sweeper out there sometime soon. 14 The Missouri project is moving right along. They're still scheduled 15 to be completed by the end of March. I know it looks like they still have a 16 lot of work to do but they're working very diligently on getting that project 17 done. They've got some other stuff going on on the southeast part of the 18 state that they want to get this one done so they can move over there so 19 we're hoping for end of March for that project. 20 The Union Avenue project is also moving along pretty quickly. 21 They only had 240 weather working days and that clock started last May 22 so they're nearing completion on that here in the next couple of months. 23 You may have noticed that we're moving traffic control kind of all over the 24 place. They have been sending out press releases. I know last time there 25 was some talk about not everybody receiving those so hopefully the list 26 has been expanded to include some of you all. If not, please let me know 27 and we'll make sure to get you added. 28 The pavement preservation project on 1-10 is moving along as well. 29 That one's from Jackrabbit to the 1-10/1-25 interchange. They have a 30 mandatory completion date of November of 2016 and they will be skipping 31 over the Union/Ramp E work and moving on to the six -lane portion 32 because it's the same contractor. So just be aware that there's going to 33 be traffic control out there for a while. The six -lane portion just got their 34 notice to proceed February 4th so they won't be starting that until probably 35 a few months from now after they finish up this section of 1-10 and then 36 they'll have to skip over the bridges. 37 And that's all we have in construction. I wanted to talk a little bit 38 about some projects that we have under design right now though that 39 impact this Committee or that we would like to receive input from this 40 Committee on. One of them is the project on US-70 over San Augustin 41 Pass. That's in the design phase right now. A consultant was selected 42 and so they are starting the project. We have asked that George be the 43 contact for the BPAC and he will be included as a stakeholder, so he'll be 44 included in all the kickoff meetings, invited to plan reviews for comments 45 for this Committee, as well as the Valley Drive project the same. That 46 one, we had the Phase A/B report done. There was you know some 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 is 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36. 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 things with the Amador Proximo but I think we've worked most of that out with the City so we'll be moving forward with design on that. George, you'll also be on the list for that as the point of contact for the BPAC Committee. And both of those project are, projects are scheduled to let in Fiscal Year 2017. Pearson: Okay. NM-478, you had a project on there. Heard some good reports, the edge -to -edge resurfacing. I don't remember how, I haven't been on it yet. How far down did that go? Herrera: It was the whole, the whole section so it goes all the way to, I want to say the intersection with 460, so where that roundabout is. I'd have to go back and look. Pearson: Okay. Herrera: But it was the entire road and we definitely made sure to go edge -to -edge and we also used the, a different process to try to make it smoother for the cyclists. Pearson: And just on a, kind of a maintenance kind of thing when I was coming here at University in the right-of-way there going westbound there's a tree, University just west of Main Street there's a tree that makes me go all the way out into the traffic lane so needs to be some trimming there. And you might have them check on the other side, last time I was going eastbound there's a, where the water collects, seems like the drop-off is real bad there so that could be a problem. Herrera: Okay. Pearson: I was wondering if you knew anything about the Melendres-Amador signal light because what I understood that, that went to NMDOT from the City for, and it was denied or something happened where it didn't happen and I think the City's going for that again. Do you have, know anything about that? Herrera: I don't, no. Pearson: Because that's, that'd be a good, I mean the community wants that. That's, for Safe Routes to School that intersection would be needed to be signalized in order to think about bringing kids over from, it's part of Central Elementary School district. Herrera: Right. So aren't those city streets though? Pearson: Yeah. But they're going for ... 1 2 Herrera: So they're trying to get funding? 3 4 Pearson: Yeah. I think, or whatever it is. 5 6 Herrera: Oh, okay. 7 8 Pearson: The state funding for it. 9 10 Herrera: Okay. I'll check on that. 11 12 Pearson: Because, and can you tell us anything about the, the TAP funding process 13 any, any information you have on that? 14 15 Herrera: The only information that I have is that they're still working on the guides. 1.6 They're supposed to be out before the next RTPO and MPO quarterly 17 meetings which are in March so we should have guides out real soon. 18 We're looking at doing the call probably shortly after that, a little review 19 time for everybody but then hopefully soon after that, so I'm going to say 20 maybe April-ish is when we would have the call for projects out and that 21 would be for TAP and Rec Trails. 22 23 Pearson: Okay. So maybe the results from our work session can work into part of 24 that. 25 26 Herrera: Definitely, and I just want to remind everybody that it's for design in Fiscal 27 Year '18, construction in Fiscal Year '19. So that's what the application 28 cycle now is, is for, for this year. 29 30 Pearson: And for non -construction projects like Safe Routes to School, that'll still be 31 on. 32 33 Herrera: Yes. Those are still eligible. 34 35 Pearson: Okay. Well... 36 37 Curry. So that would be the 2018 and 2019 fiscal year. I'm sorry. Just to confirm 38 that those would be for the, the non -infrastructure projects for the Fiscal 39 Year '18 and '19. 40 41 Herrera: Yes. 42 43 Curry: Okay. Thanks. 44 45 Pearson: Okay. So anything else, any other questions for NMDOT? And I guess 46 the only other thing that I can think of is that we got the New Mexico Bike 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 _15 .J.() Summit coming up on April 23rd which is a Saturday. We have a, a distinguished panel member will be attending. Jolene is graciously going to be on our panel and we have a pretty full schedule for the day so it should be of general interest to anybody that's interested in bicycling, www.nmbikeed.org will give you, we've got the, the agenda for the day and any other information I can send if there's any questions. Registration's available online also. And before that there's going to be a league cycling instructor seminar so we hope to have some more league cycling instructors in the state. Curry: Mr. Chairman. I had and in preparation for the league cycling instructor seminar there's going to be a traffic skills 101 class this Friday and Saturday. It's the prerequisite class for the league cycling instructor class. There's still room in it if anybody's interested. It'll be at City Hall and just contact me if you want more information on registering for that. Pearson: Okay. Any other Committee Members have any comments? Rochelle: Yes, Mr. Chairman. I don't know, I assume this falls under the City somewhere but I was thinking about bike lanes and the fact that they're always full of grit so is there a schedule for periodic cleaning of, of the streets that includes the bike lanes as well? How does one find out about that? Murphy: Mr. Chair, Gabriel. We can go ahead and check with the City Streets Department on what, what their scheduling is. I, 1 do know that when they do sweep it's to sweep with a gutter pan so the bike lane is usually covered in that. But we will, we will ask them if they have a, a distinct schedule or do they respond to complaints. We'll go ahead and e-mail the answer around. Rochelle: Thank you. Pearson: Andrew. Bencomo: Mr. Chair. I had some comments. Pearson: Okay. Bencomo: As usual. They're kind of things that, that came up throughout the discussion with everybody, and so for the City I had a question about the Las Cruces Dam Trail project. Do, where, where are we on that, do you know? Any idea? Nunez: The, it's, the project manager I talked to, he said that they're scheduling the pre -con. So I don't know what that meant in that, well it, he, he was 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 supposed to have had it scheduled by now so maybe there was a little bit of, they have some problem with something on the contract or something, but sounds like that's resolved and his, his quick answer was, is that they're scheduling the pre -con so that should be starting off on construction the, I would assume within about a month. Bencomo: Okay, so they're already going to start construction? Nunez: Yes. Bencomo: All right. Nunez: Exactly, that's what I meant by pre -con, pre -construction meeting where they get the contractor and so it's been awarded, it sounds like so. Bencomo: And just out of curiosity so maybe you, George have an answer: Has this Committee had any input in that at all or any say, anything at all, even meetings? Pearson: I think, well I, we've seen the plans. It, the City, this is a, a TAP project that the City put in the previous cycle. Bencomo: All right. Pearson: And we weren't reviewing the TAPs. That went straight to the State. Wray: Mr. Chair. You did review it for purposes of putting it on the TIP. Pearson: Okay. Yeah. We didn't select the project, we just approved it for funding. Wray: Yes. Bencomo: Okay. I just was, wasn't sure if we had, if this Committee had had an ability to, to any suggestions, feedback, anything as far as the design or anything like that other than just knowing about it. Pearson: I'm pretty sure we had a presentation that showed the, the design. There were like three options. Bencomo: Okay, Pearson: And the, the base design and then two additions and then the funding was awarded for all the additions. Bencomo: Okay. 14 1 Z 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 1.2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: So the complete project that was designed is being done. Bencomo: Okay. Awesome. Thank you. The second question I had was the Dripping Springs, I mean the Baylor Canyon reconstruct. Is that going to, is Dripping Springs going to be paved, that short section that's unpaved right now, is that going to be paved over to Dripping, to Baylor also? There's, did, did I make sense what I said? Paz: Yes, I believe so. I asked about that stretch as well and they said that, that that stretch was included. Bencomo: Okay. Paz: Yeah, but I'm pretty vague on those details. I can run that by my Engineering Department and you know give you a response to that. Bencomo: Okay. Yeah cause there's that, there's about two miles from, it just drops off on Dripping Springs and then it starts again up there by when you head up into the, into the recreation area. So I just wanted, wasn't sure if they were going to do that or not. Okay. Thank you. Pearson: What's that? I was under the impression that the entire Dripping Springs was going to be paved and Baylor Canyon was not going to be paved, it was going to be improved. Curry: I believe that that's what Jolene mentioned, the completion in May was, or may, maybe it was Samuel who mentioned that. The completion in May, wasn't that that paving that dirt stretch all the way up to the recreational area? Paz: So the Engineering staff reported that they were doing roadway improvements. Those roadway improvements were scheduled to be completed by May. That kind of predates my arrival to, to, to the County and to this Board so I can get back with you on greater details of that project. Bencomo: Okay. All right, thank you. The third item was somebody else mentioned it and I, 1 think Jolene mentioned Main Street that way and then you brought up the, the maintenance of the bike lanes. I went, did a bike ride the other day on Elks Drive cause I live out there, it's just a total mess. Both the bike lanes are just littered with stuff. I mean the, the driving lanes are clear. The bike lanes are completely littered. So I wonder is there a way for this, somebody from this Committee to maybe meet with Streets Department and talk to them about the, the maintenance schedules, even if they could just focus on just the main bike routes. I mean obviously there's tons of streets and I know there's a limited equipment and, and 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 dollars and things like that and limited time to do all these but if they could focus maybe on those main routes that, that people use a lot and if we had a little bit of input in that, cause I think I was saying, "Oh they need to clean them," and they go, "Okay, great, we'll do that." It doesn't necessarily work when you have direct input from people that use those bike lanes all the time I think that helps a little bit more so I'm not sure if we can do that or not. I, I'm, I think I know we can do that but it, to do it officially through this Committee I'm wondering about how, how to go about doing that maybe. Pearson: And then ask for the City Maintenance. That's, is that Traffic Engineering or is that City, well it's some maintenance department. Bencomo: It's under Transportation. Murphy: It's, it's just Streets and Maintenance which is under Transportation and also has Traffic Engineering. As I said earlier we'll go ahead and we'll find out what their method of, or what their operating procedures are ... Pearson: All right. Murphy: On that. Once we find, find that out then I think we can react accordingly, you know ... Pearson: Cause I think I remember hearing that their intent is to run a street sweeper on every street once every two to three months and of course after a flooding event you know or monsoon rains the bike, maybe we find out if the bikes, lanes can get higher priority then or, and maybe things have just, haven't been scheduled through or maybe it's at the end of the three months and not knowing, it's hard to speculate. Murphy: We, we will ask. Pearson: Okay. Thank you. Bencomo Right. Which is, which is exactly why I wanted to, if we could maybe discuss that with them cause then, if nothing else it's an educational process for us to say, "This is why it's not happening," and then we can, maybe I can say, "Okay, great." So. Pearson: Right. It might be a matter of, oh that, we want to get input on our "Ask the City" website ... Bencomo: Right. Pearson: To clear roads instead of however but yeah. 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 I7 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Bencomo: Okay, Pearson: Knowing what that is will be helpful. Bencomo: Right. And then this also is probably going to be a City thing and it's probably going to, I don't know if it's going to fall under Parks or if it falls under Streets, riding the Triviz, I hadn't ridden the Triviz path in a while and every single place where there's the, the little water runoff with the concrete there's like a built-up like bump, a hump there. If they could just shave those off it'd be great. I noticed in a couple of spots somebody had cut like a, a tire, car tire width worth out, piece out of the hump and so everybody heads for that, aims for that. But if they could just go through there and, and smooth those, it's, it's everywhere that the pavement, the asphalt meets the concrete, there's like a hump there and you're like "ta- toonk, ta-toonk" going over that thing every time. I can't imagine moms trying to push strollers through there with those small tires. It's probably a pain in the you -know -what so if maybe somebody could talk to them about that, they could just shave those down. I know they do that in the streets sometimes the, the pavement starts to buckle and they go out there and shave it off. So kind of the same thing. And that's all I have Mr. Chair. Thank you. Pearson: Okay. Any other Committee Member? Rochelle: Mr. Chairman. I hate to add to this but I will, and that's that the section on Triviz that goes from Spruce to the end where you get on the trail, the, the lane marker is itself constantly breaking up and I, I, you know that, I don't know what it's made of. It, it appears to be concrete or something. But that's, that's just breaking up and it's, all the pieces of it are in the bike lane. So that's another reason to take a look at Triviz. Thank you. Pearson: Okay. Okay. So no more comments? 7. PUBLIC COMMENT Pearson: We'll go on to our next item which is the second opportunity for public comment. Going once, going twice. 8. ADJOURNMENT (5:35 p.m.) Pearson: Next is adjournment and we're going to adjourn to a work session where we're going to look at the, the loop trail maps. So motion to adjourn? Rochelle: So moved. 17 NJ Bencomo: Second. Pearson: So we're at 5:35. Adjourned to our work session. 4 5 6 7 8 9 Chairperson 10 11 18 v . 61 of �I I � J I I IVY I MPO Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee Session Sign In April 19, 2016 Member Proxy Signature George Pearson, Chair Ashleigh Curry, Vice -Chair I Samuel Paz, DAC Andrew Bencomo, Pedestrian Community Rep. Maggie Billings, Bicycling Community Rep. Jolene Herrera, NMDOT Mark Leisher, DAC Citizen J� e Lq k� James Nunez, CLC Gabriel Rochelle, Bicycling Community Rep. David Shearer, NMSU Lance Shepan, TOM y�� •r1 r � � e �