Loading...
01-19-17 PRAB1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING January 19, 2017 The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Meeting was held on January 19, 2017 at the Parks and Recreation Conference Room, 1501 E. Hadley, Las Cruces, NM. PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Mark O'Neill Robert Harrison Paul L. Royalty Russ Smith Cassandra "Cassie" McClure PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: W. Ron Camunez OTHERS PRESENT: Marina Montoya, Administrative Assistant Sonya Delgado, Director — Director of Parks & Recreation Robert Nunez, Recreation & Youth Services Administrator Philip Catanach, Recreation & Youth Services Administrator Cathy Mathews, City of Las Cruces Landscape Architect Rudy Trevino, Athletic Field District Supervisor Barry Russell, Rodney Pollard Barrow Williams Jana Williams Stephanie Lloyd Ben Liptak Michael Jimenez Brian Verardo The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Vice -Chair O'Neill and recognized the meeting as having a legal quorum. I. Introductions Board Members introduced themselves and stated the district they represent. Staff introduced themselves and stated their position. 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 IL Conflict of Interest No conflict of interest. III. Approval of Minutes Mr. O'Neill asked if Board members had any corrections to the minutes dated October 20, 2016. Dr. Harrison moved to approve the minutes as amended, seconded by Mr. Royalty. Motion Approved. Mr. O'Neill asked if Board members had any corrections to the minutes dated November 14, 2016. Mr. Royalty motioned to approve the minutes, seconded by Dr. Harrison. Motion approved. IV. Old Business A. Young Park Inclusive Playground Vice -Chair O'Neill introduced Ms. Cathy Mathews, City of Las Cruces Landscape Architect. Ms. Mathews introduced Mr. Barrow Williams, a boy scout working on his eagle scout, that is also assisting with this project. Mr. Williams is working on getting donations from the community for pieces of equipment that will be included in the playground. He is a great inspiration for the project and is very articulate in the need and value of this kind of park. Ms. Mathews introduced Mr. Brian Verardo, with MRWM LTD. Mr. Verardo presented a PowerPoint to the board. Vice -Chair O'Neill asked if any of the members of the Board had any questions. Ms. McClure asked if there were higher maintenance costs with a park like this. Mr. Verardo stated that all equipment used is all standard playground equipment and surfacing material is all the same that parks are using. All irrigation and plantings are all very standard for the facility. Vice -Chair O'Neill asked Mr. Williams how he is involved in this project. Mr. Williams stated that to gain his eagle scout, it requires that he complete a project that will have a lasting effect on the community. Mr. Smith asked Mr. William's if Mr. Verardo's presentation is capturing his thoughts and inspiration. Mr. Williams stated it does and it will also help with friendship making. Mr. Smith asked Mr. William's if he see's bright colors in his vision. Mr. Williams stated the presentation shows natural colors and it needs to have bright colors added. Not only will it help people in the Autism spectrum with their visual but will attract others. Mr. Verardo stated that there will be use of colors within the ExerPlay equipment, but sometimes if too many colors are used it becomes too busy and tends to make some K I children become over stimulated. Trying to use a color scheme that both, in key areas, 2 provides that sensory experience but also creates a place that is a little more calming. 3 Mr. Verardo stated the equipment itself is constructed of steel post with steel barrier walls 4 and plastic panels. By choosing colors and mixing those materials in the right way, we 5 can achieve a good balance of natural and manmade components. 6 7 Dr. Harrison had a question for staff regarding where the City and Council is with funding. 8 Ms. Delgado stated that funding has been obtained by state legislative funding and salary 9 savings. A request was made for additional funding and was also approved with 10 stipulation that the project be completed by June 30, 2017. There has also been 11 additional funding from two sponsors, Pic Quick and a gentleman that will be purchasing 12 shade structures. Dr. Harrison asked if the sensory wall will be included or is that what 13 Mr. Williams will be raising funds for. Mr. Verardo stated the plans do include two sensory 14 wall components, one larger that is currently in the budget. 15 1.6 Mr. Williams stated that he has started a GoFundMe account that is set with a goal of 1.7 $7,000. Ms. Montoya will send the link to the GoFundMe account to all board members. 18 19 B. Downtown Plaza Update -Plaza De Las Cruces 20 21 Mr. Rudy Trevino, Athletic Fields District Supervisor, stated that we continue to have 22 issues with skateboarders on the stage itself. Skate stops have been ordered and will 23 get Risk Management to make sure they are the correct ones. Huge problem with the 24 wax buildup from the boards, starting to turn black. The fountain is off for the next few 25 months. Anticipating the cold freeze, we don't want to damage equipment. Kudos to 26 Parks and Recreation staff for the first tree lighting downtown, there were lots of 27 compliments. 28 29 Mr. Catanach stated that during the time of closure of the fountain, Bob Devon will be 30 doing some touch up work on the painting itself. Lights will remain on during this time. 31 32 Mr. Smith would like to state that the Downtown plaza is serving the community well. 33 34 C. Youth Board Members 35 36 Mr. Nunez stated that at the end of the year he met with the Mayor's Top Teen program 37 coordinator and this week met with the Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce on their Youth 38 Leadership program. Next week he will meet with the Las Cruces Public schools to get 39 this going. He has also spoken with Albuquerque on the youth advisory boards that they 40 currently have in place, trying to get as much input to mold a program to benefit our 41 community to allow teens and youth to have a voice in some programs, projects, and 42 activities that we offer, not only in the City of Las Cruces but other entities. After meeting 43 with LCPS, we will work on creating an application and getting it out to public, charter 44 and private schools to create that board of seven members. Another issue brought up 45 was trying to get youth as voting members, but that was rejected by Council. Council 46 would rather them be an advisory component so that they can meet with other boards. 3 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 1.8 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Vice -Chair O'Neill wanted to clarify if the board would be for Parks and Recreation mainly. Mr. Nunez stated that it is mainly for the Park and Recreation activities but looking to broaden the horizon. Mr. O'Neill asked if the board would meet and have a representative bring their ideas to the Parks & Recreation Board. Ms. Delgado stated that the group will meet and ask that someone from the P & R board sit in on their meetings to help them run their meeting and a representative from their group will report on what their ideas/issues are and the P & R board would be the deciding vote. This way they get the understanding of what it takes to be on a board and give them an avenue to voice their ideas. Ms. Delgado stated Mr. Nunez will work on the process and he will bring it to the board to look at. The board will consist of 7-9 members within an age group of 12-17 years of age. Ms. McClure asked when it is anticipated to have this group together. Mr. Nunez stated he is looking to solidify the application soon and by March bring to the schools right before/after spring break. Ms. McClure asked who would make the decision. Mr. Nunez stated that the youth would apply and board members and staff would make a panel for selection. Mr. Smith suggested that the Farmers Market board, with new membership, may be interested in integration with youth voice and youth activities. V. New Business A. Stipend Requests Ms. Delgado stated that two requests for stipends are included in the boards packet, one for Las Cruces Youth Softball Association requesting $5,000 and The Running Club requesting $3,000. The budget available is $20,000 and a complete packet must include the following: a financial statement, current Insurance, 501C3 status, 40990, letter request, profit loss statement, written appeals process, and a refund policy. The two included in the packet are complete. The third groups packet, Mesilla Valley Christian School, was submitted after the other two were submitted and will be presented in February with a requested stipend of $2,000. Vice -Chair O'Neill asked that the representative for each stipend request state what they will use it for and why it's needed in their presentation. Ms. McClure asked if the budget for stipends renews every year. Ms. Delgado stated yes it renews for the new Fiscal Year out of Administration budget. Ms. Delgado stated there was not a representative from either group present that submitted a packet and she was unsure if the groups were notified to attend. Ms. 4 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 I9 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Delgado suggested suspending action today and hear all three group presentations at the next meeting. Mr. Harrison motioned to table New Business of Stipends Requests to the next meeting, seconded by Mr. Smith. Motion passed. Mr. Harrison asked if there was a deadline to give stipends out. Ms. Delgado stated before June 30t" when the Fiscal Year ends. Mr. Harrison asked if leagues had approvals for field times and space, if there will be a new contract and what is being done to improve fields that are used. Ms. Delgado stated an agreement will be brought to the board in February. All requests for field space is currently being reviewed by staff. B. Desert Trails Park Mr. Royalty wanted to state that he was down at desert trails and some good work has been done to it. It really needed a lot of work and attention. New trash cans have been installed, a lot of work has been done and he wanted to say he appreciated it. VI. Public Comment A member of the audience, Mr. Michael Jimenez, stated that the City needs a new skate park and that would be the reason the stage is being used. He stated he worked with the City Manager and Mayor in Alamogordo and various other entities to get a skate park built in the City of Alamogordo. He would like to do the same here in Las Cruces. The biggest thing would be to keep people confined to the park, find a park, install ramps. The current park needs maintenance. Mr. Jimenez would like to give a presentation on his ideas at the next meeting if possible. Vice -Chair O'Neill stated he would like to get more information and get his presentation on the next meeting. Mr. Jimenez stated he could have it ready. Ms. Delgado stated she believes she has a meeting with Mr. Jimenez on Friday and she will give him all the information he will need for his presentation at the next meeting. Mr. Royalty asked, when the presentation is given, if he could include input on what it would take to upgrade the current park. Mr. Jimenez said he would include it. Mr. Smith asked Mr. Jimenez to describe skateboarding in general. Mr. Jimenez stated it is progression. It is an outlet for a kid, always striving to be better, pushing themselves with self -gratification. VII. Member Comments 5 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Mr. Harrison -Wanted to say "Welcome" to new members and as it says in our title, we are an advisory board. Coach O'Neill -Wanted to state that we are an advisory board to City Council. If you would like to approach your Council member and if they have questions about what the board is doing, you can. Coach O'Neill wanted to suggest the board present a one page sheet to the Council about what was discussed at the meetings. Ms. Delgado stated she would get with the City Clerk and find out if that is possible and will report back at next meeting. VIII. Adjournment Mr. Smith moved to adjourn meeting, seconded by Mr. Royalty. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm. Recording Secretary Ron Camunez, Chair P&R Board ea6ff G' G. f C? Ave,C-4-C, J2 4 ,Z