Loading...
11-16-17 PRAB1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING NOVEMBER 16, 2017 The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Meeting was held on November 16, 2017 at the Parks and Recreation Conference Room, 1501 E. Hadley, Las Cruces, NM. PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Eli Guzman Robert Harrison Mark O'Neill Russ Smith Maryln Zahler PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: Cassie McClure OTHERS PRESENT: Hazel Nevarez, Recording Secretary Franco Granillo, Acting Parks Administrator Sonya Delgado, Director of Parks and Recreation Dan Carter, SNMTA Andrew Bencomo, BPAC/Bicycle Friendly Community Task Force The meeting was called to order at 6:02p.m. by Chair O'Neill and recognized the meeting as having a legal quorum. I. Introductions Board members introduced themselves and stated the district they represent. Staff introduced themselves and stated their position. II. Conflict of Interest No conflict of interest. III. Approval of Minutes Vice -Chair Harrison asked if the Board had any corrections to the minutes dated October 19, 2017. Ms. Zahler moved to accept the minutes as presented, seconded by Mr. Harrison. Motion carried unanimously. IV. Unfinished Business A. Managing for Results (Informational) — Sonya Delgado 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Ms. Delgado informed the Board the City of Las Cruces is undergoing a new process called Peak Performance. City Administration has already gone through the process and created their mission statement which can be found on the City web site. Each City department will also go through the process with the help of a consultant. Parks and Recreation is one of the first departments to go through the process. This process will tie Parks and Recreation's resources to their goals for the next five years. This is a strategic plan for the next three to five years for the Parks and Recreation Department. So far in the process, Parks and Recreation Department has identified five issues faced by the department and has come up with a mission statement which may change: The mission of the Las Cruces Parks and Recreation Department is to provide customer focused services to residents and visitors, so they can experience a vibrant, prosperous, active, inclusive, and engaged community. The whole process will be completed by third week in December and presented to City Council. City Manager will make final decision if the issues and goals presented are what Parks and Recreation will achieve in the next three to five years. Upon completion and approval, will be shared with the public in January. Ms. Delgado informed the Board that once Parks and Recreation's goals are in place, then The Board's goals can be set. B. Future Placement of Murals (Informational) — Sonya Delgado Ms. Delgado informed the Board she understood they had questions at last Board meeting regarding future placement of murals. Ms. Delgado said City Hall has rules on what can be placed in the lobby at City Hall, decided upon by Administration and staff. Ms. Delgado said that if art projects done by Parks and Recreation youth are generally displayed at the facilities that they are at and at some schools. Ms. Zahler suggested Chair O'Neill send a letter to City Manager allowing art project placements at City Hall. Mr. Smith questioned, with the recent mural tile project on the Mondy Castaneda building being an educational youth case study, can it be translated as things change downtown? Ms. Delgado said when Parks and Recreation does murals through Parks and Recreation's mural program, Parks and Recreation facilities can be used without any issues. There is more Parks and Recreation has to go thru to use other city facilities and to place art pieces in the city would entail going thru the Art Board since that is their purview. C. Parks Near Bus Routes (Informational) — Sonya Delgado Ms. Delgado informed the Board she understood there was a question at last Board meeting as to whether bus routes were near parks. Board members were provided with PJ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 a map that shows all bus routes and where park facilities are. Ms. Delgado informed the Board that Transit has just completed a study on their routes and will be presenting their information and some of their solutions at the City Council meeting on December 18, 2017. Mr. Granillo commented the City could benefit from more bus routes around City parks for safety reasons. D. Unscheduled Item — End of Year Report to City Council Ms. Zahler questioned if Chair O'Neill would be able to give an end of year report to City Council. Ms. Delgado replied it hasn't been decided if Council will want all Advisory Boards to report to them at the same time or if they will pick a date. Ms. Delgado said as soon as she is advised, she will inform the Board. V. New Business A. Mesilla Valley Shot Gun Report (Informational) — Sonya Delgado Board members were supplied with a copy of the Annual Report for New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. This is a report provided by the Mesilla Valley Shotgun Club. Ms. Delgado informed the Board at the time of this report, all the land mentioned in the report belonged to Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Since then, Ms. Delgado received a letter from BLM saying the land belongs to Parks and Recreation. Ms. Delgado said this means Parks and Recreation has acquired an additional 600 acres which means all the maintenance will be the responsibility of Parks and Recreation. Ms. Delgado said the Annual Report is being provided to the Board so they know what goes on at the shotgun range. Mr. Smith asked, characteristics of use for a facility like this, does this qualify for regional, national competitions that are tourism driven, giving notoriety. Ms. Delgado responded yes. Ms. Zahler asked if users are covered by insurance. Ms. Delgado replied all associations and organizations that utilize Parks and Recreation facilities and provide programs on behalf of Parks and Recreation Department must be insured. Mr. Smith asked what are any expressed short comings on facility, ongoing issues, or limitations that don't get national sanctions because facility doesn't have something. Mr. Granillo responded some of the issues he has seen is not having proper parking, more ADA access from the shooting area to the targets, berms collapse often, and not having staff to consistently maintain facility. Ms. Zahler asked if Parks and Recreation has tried to get grants to address some of these issues like the ADA access. Ms. Delgado responded that Parks and Recreation 3 I does have a grant writer to help with this and the Mesilla Valley Gun Club has also gotten 2 grants on their own. 4 B. Park Updates (Informational) — Franco Granillo 6 Mr. Granillo informed the Board at this time of year, staff conducts winter projects -fields 7 and parks are shut down as turf goes into dormancy to perform last aerations of the year. 8 The athletic field side still has some softball and soccer tournaments and will then 9 prepare for these winter projects. On the park side, parks is preparing for the tree lighting 10 ceremony, tree plantings and other water saving projects. Parks is also preparing for five 11 new sets of medians coming to the parks department, which includes Council choices 12 throughout the district. Some of the areas are North Sonoma Ranch, North Main, Valley 13 Drive, and Lohman. Staff is also working on the Women's Memorial for erosion control 14 and beautification, new shrubbery for La Entrada monument. 15 16 Mr. Granillo informed the Board the new Community Forester has come on board helping 17 with tree plantings with a goal of 130 trees — 60 trees have already been planted since 18 October. A tree and plant list if being put together so staff will know what will work in 19 certain areas of the city for when a new contractor comes with new developments. 20 21 Mr. Granillo informed the Board of new parks that have been added — Parkhill Estates 22 Park and another park in the Metro Verde area. 23 24 Ms. Delgado informed the Board that La Entrada is a joint effort with the Sister Cities, 25 because tiles being used are from Laredo, Mexico. Sister Cities is thinking about having 26 another grand opening and having the Mayor from Laredo, Mexico come down. This 27 would probably happen sometime in the spring. The details are still being worked out. 28 The tiles are already up and statue of Mayor Johnson has already been put back to his 29 original spot. 30 31 Ms. Delgado said staff is working with a developer in Metro Verde who will be putting in 32 a neighborhood park. This will be going to Council in December. Completion of park will 33 be about six months. 34 35 Ms. Delgado informed the Board about a couple of partnerships: 36 37 • Virgin Galactic would like to build a couple of medians by their office on the 38 top of Roadrunner — they will put up the money to build medians and Park 39 staff will maintain them. 40 • Mountain View Hospital will build three medians in front of the hospital and 41 Park staff will maintain them. 42 43 Ms. Delgado informed the Board that Mr. Ed wants all medians beautified and wants the 44 interchanges done, 1-25, 1-10 and Highway 70. Staff is working with New Mexico 45 Department of Transportation and New Mexico State University to figure out how these 46 interchanges should look. il 1 2 Mr. Harrison asked if Parks and Recreation staff is involved on the turn arounds and 3 round -about on University and 1-25. Ms. Delgado replied yes. 4 5 C. December Board Meeting (Action) — Chair O'Neill 6 7 Mr. O'Neill informed the Board he didn't see anything pressing coming up for the Board 8 to meet in December, since it falls around the Holidays. Mr. Smith moved to cancel the 9 December Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meeting, seconded by Mr. Harrison. 10 Motion carried unanimously. 11 12 VI. Public Comments — 13 14 Mr. Andrew Bencomo introduced himself as being a member of the Bicycle Pedestrian 15 Advisory Committee (BPAC) of the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and 16 heads the engineering work group of the Bicycle Friendly Community Task Force. Mr. 17 Dan Carter introduced himself as the President of the Southern New Mexico Trail 18 Alliance, a member of the Bicycle Friendly Community Task Force engineering work 19 group and co-chair of the user work group for the Rio Grande Trail. 20 21 Both gentlemen were present to discuss the use of the Elephant Butte Irrigation District 22 (EBID) facilities - the irrigation and drainage ditches - and using them as a trail system. 23 The Bicycle Friendly Community Task Force and BPAC is supportive of using the ditches 24 as a trail system. Mr. Bencomo said he and Mr. Carter were present to discuss steps of 25 moving towards getting this done. Mr. Bencomo said the current- existing trails (the 26 Triviz Trail and the extension, La Llorona) are parks and so trails would also become 27 parks. Mr. Bencomo said it will be a bit different because the trails will be used as parks 28 but are owned by EBID. EBID has talked about turning over drains to the City. Mr. 29 Bencomo said the City is the only entity in the MPO area that has a Memo of 30 Understanding (MOU) with EBID to use those. Mr. Carter said that at last meeting with 31 EBID, they were very enthusiastic about this proposal and their Board is supportive of 32 using the irrigation ditches for this, not all but to identify which ditches would be used. 33 Discussions on liability, usage and ownership have been held with EBID. 34 35 Mr. O'Neill asked Mr. Bencomo and Mr. Carter to put their proposal in writing with bullet 36 points as to what they would like to see happen. Ms. Delgado advised the Board Mr. 37 Bencomo and Mr. Carter want to know if the Board is in support of using the ditches as 38 a trail system so they can let EBID and City Council know of this support when the time 39 comes. Ms. Delgado suggested that this be an action item for the January Board 40 meeting so there is a record. 41 42 Mr. Carter informed the Board the New Mexico Trail Alliance was awarded the National 43 Parks Service Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance Program grant. 44 45 VII. Staff Comments 46 E 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 No staff comments. VIII. Member Comments Ms. Zahler wanted to thank Ms. Delgado and her staff for cutting the branches on tree at Apodaca Park that were covering the Indian statue. Ms. Zahler said she met with Ms. Delgado regarding the memorial of war service dogs at Veteran's Park. She wanted to clarify this would be only be for military service dogs. Ms. Zahler said next step will be to meet with the Veteran's Board. She said she will be meeting with New Mexico Representative Jeff Steinborn who will help her to get legislature support from this district. Ms. Zahler said she has questions on the 680 acres from BLM and would like this added to January's agenda. Ms. Zahler is wondering if some of this land can be used for a dog park. Ms. Zahler would like a report on the Youth Board in January. Ms. Delgado said this will be going to the Las Cruces Public Schools in December and will be on Parks and Recreation's web page in December. Ms. Delgado said this will stay open December and January and will bring to the Board for final acceptance in February. Ms. Zahler suggested that Ms. Delgado get the police department to do a risk assessment on parks. Ms. Zahler also suggested that backpacks not be allowed in facilities. Ms. Delgado informed the Board staff will be sent to active shooting training and has requested staff to put something together for Parks and Recreation's organizations and leagues. Mr. Harrison asked with upcoming holidays, if staff has taken precautions to look for bullying or suicide. Ms. Delgado reported staff has been trained to look for those signs. IX. Adjournment Mr. Harrison moved to adjourn meeting, seconded by Ms. Zahler. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m. F),a I e arez, Recordi�g` ecretary Mark O'Neill, 2r P&R Board 2