Loading...
01-18-18 PRABPARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING JAN UARY 18, 2018 1 The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Meeting was held on January 18, 2018 at the 2 Parks and Recreation Conference Room, 1501 E. Hadley, Las Cruces, NM. 3 4 PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: 5 Eli Guzman 6 Cassie McClure 7 Mark O'Neill 8 Russ Smith 9 Maryln Zahler 10 11 PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: 12 Robert Harrison 13 14 OTHERS PRESENT: 15 Hazel Nevarez, Recording Secretary 16 Phil Catanach, Recreation & Youth Services Administrator 17 Robert Nunez, Recreation & Youth Services Administrator 18 Franco Granillo, Acting Parks Administrator 19 Sonya Delgado, Director of Parks and Recreation 20 Ceci Vasconcellos, City of Las Cruces Marketing Coordinator 21 Tim Pitts, City of Las Cruces GIS Programmer 22 Waynette Bridges, Munson Garden 23 Nancy Breard, Munson Garden 24 Michael Garcia, City of Las Cruces Recreation Facility Manager 25 Art Banach, Munson Garden 26 27 28 The meeting was called to order at 6:01 p.m. by Chair O'Neill and recognized the meeting 29 as having a legal quorum. 30 31 I. Introductions 32 33 Board members introduced themselves and stated the district they represent. Staff 34 introduced themselves and stated their position. Ms. Delgado also introduced Ms. Ceci 35 Vasconcellos, who is on City staff and will be helping Parks and Recreation with 36 marketing. Ms. Delgado reported Ms. Vasconcellos will occasionally attend the Parks 37 and Recreation Advisory Board meetings. 38 39 II. Conflict of Interest 40 41 No conflict of interest. 42 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 III. Approval of Minutes Chair O'Neill asked if the Board had any corrections to the minutes dated November 16, 2017. Ms. Zahler reported on page 6, line 23, add the word the in front of the word police. Ms. Zahler reported on page 6, line 24, correct pack packs to backpacks. Ms. Zahler reported on page 6, line 8, add the word war in front of the word service. Ms. Zahler moved to accept the minutes as amended, seconded by Mr. Smith. Motion carried unanimously. IV. Unfinished Business A. Youth Board (Informational) — Robert Nunez Mr. Nunez reported staff is currently working with the City I.T. department and the Public Information Office to get press release out to announce the Youth Board and seek applications. The Youth Board application is on the Parks and Recreation web site and will also be sent to the Las Cruces Public Schools, Dona Ana County's website, Parks and Recreation Facebook and Mr. Nunez said he has spoken with Visit Las Cruces to see if they have any other groups or organizations on their mailing list the Youth Board application can be sent to. Mr. Nunez reported he has set a deadline of March 2, 2018 to submit application to be considered for the Youth Board. A date will be set after March 2nd for selection of Youth Board by staff, Ms. Zahler and Chair O'Neill. B. Reporting to Council (Informational) — Sonya Delgado Ms. Delgado reported an action item will need to be placed on the Board's agenda so the Board can vote to make a presentation to City Council. The Board will need to know who will make the presentation and what the Board will be presenting. Once this action item is approved, a memo requesting a work session date will need to be drafted along with an outline of what the Board will be presenting. C. Munson Center Community Garden Request (Action) — Sonya Delgado, Ryan Steinmetz Ms. Nancy Breard of Munson Community Garden introduced herself, Mike Garcia, Recreation Facility Manager at Munson Center, Waynette Bridges, and Art Banach, Munson Community Garden volunteers. Mr. Garcia reported Mr. Ryan Steinmetz, Volunteer Coordinator, could not be present and Munson Garden members are present to report and answer any questions. Ms. Breard provided the Board a copy of the City of Las Cruces Request for Naming of a City of Las Cruces Facility explaining why Munson gardeners want to rename the garden after Ross Boor, an article highlighting Mr. Boor as Gardener Extraordinaire, a letter from the Senior Board approving the proposed name change, and a page listing civic contributions of Russ Boor. Ms. Breard said the gardeners would like to have the 2 I Board's support in naming the garden after Mr. Boor. She also mentioned they would 2 also like to see their garden listed on the Parks & Recreation website along with the other 3 community gardens. Ms. Delgado reported a correction has been sent to the webmaster 4 to add the garden to the Parks & Recreation website. 5 6 Mr. Garcia added most of the produce grown at the Munson garden goes to Senior 7 Programs for the congregate meals at Munson Center and to the East Side Center and 8 the Benavidez Center that provide meals to congregate clients, Seniors and at home 9 clients. He reported 95% of the Munson garden is run by the volunteers from the City's 10 network volunteers. Russ Moor was one of the initial volunteers to get this started and 11 because of him, a lot more interest has gathered within the Munson Center garden. The 12 number of volunteers have grown in the past five years and to honor Mr. Moor, they 13 would like to name the garden after him. Mr. Garcia informed the Board the Senior 14 Advisory Board backed this request unanimously. Ms. Breard added they have a petition 15 with 156 names to rename the garden 16 17 Mr. Banach added the number of gardeners are growing and they have a lot of dedicated 18 people. 19 20 Ms. Delgado reported staff needs to attend a Senior Advisory Board to present different 21 options and make sure the Senior Advisory Board went through them and to address 22 questions she has before taking this request to City Council. She said she wants to 23 make sure everything is processed correctly for City Council's approval. 24 25 Ms. Zahler moved to allow Ms. Delgado to meet with the Senior Advisory Board 26 regarding the renaming of the Munson Garden, seconded by Ms. McClure. 27 28 Ms. Zahler asked Ms. Delgado for a detailed summary of what she needs because it 29 sounds like a lot of beau acracy. Ms. Delgado replied going to each Board to make sure 30 they understand what is going to change, to make sure correct language is used because 31 once Council approves, that's the way it's going to be. Ms. Delgado said there have 32 been items that have come back because someone says they wanted it to say something 33 else or want to add something, and it's not that easy. The process would have to start 34 over. 35 36 The motion to allow Ms. Delgado to meet with the Senior Advisory Board regarding the 37 renaming of the Munson Garden carried unanimously. 38 39 Ms. Zahler asked Ms. Delgado to text the Board when Ms. Delgado presents to Council 40 the renaming of the garden. 41 42 V. New Business 43 44 A. Peak Performance (Informational) — Sonya Delgado 45 3 I Ms. Delgado reported the City is going to a new model of Performance Management 2 called Peak Performance. This ties Parks and Recreation's Strategic Plan to the City of 3 Las Cruces' goals, to the Parks and Recreation's Master Plan and the Comprehensive 4 Plan for Las Cruces. Parks and Recreation is one of three departments going through 5 this Performance Management process and staff has just finished the Parks and 6 Recreation Strategic Plan. The plan is in its last phase of the draft. Still pending are 7 putting together numbers and percentages, base -lines, and targets. The Strategic Plan 8 will be going through corporate review mid -February to March 1. Date will then be set 9 for Parks and Recreation to defend its Strategic Plan. Once the plan is approved, Ms. 10 Delgado said she will bring it to the Board to look at. Process can then be started for 11 setting the Board's goals for the year. Ms. Delgado said the Strategic Plan is a five-year 12 plan. It will be reviewed annually and updated every five years. 13 14 Ms. Delgado informed the Board she will also be asking for a one-year extension on the 15 Parks and Recreation Master Plan because of the new Strategic Plan. Ms. Delgado said 16 there are some capital goals in the Strategic Plan that, if approved, will change the way 17 the Parks and Recreation Master Plan is done. The reason for this is because it is very 18 important to Parks and Recreation and it will help move things forward sooner. It will also 19 give staff an opportunity to look for alternative funding, since currently Parks and 20 Recreation relies only on park impact fees. If there is no growth, there is no fee. With no 21 funds, nothing can be built. 22 23 Ms. Delgado said Peak Performance has just recently been introduced to the entire 24 Parks and Recreation team with some good feedback. Ms. Delgado said this gives staff 25 a platform to tell Parks and Recreation's story. She said it is important to reiterate the 26 value Parks and Recreation brings to the community. Parks and Recreation is an 27 economic driver for the City of Las Cruces. Ms. Delgado informed the Board they can 28 find more information on Peak Performance on the City of Las Cruces website. 29 30 B. Outreach and Parent Survey (Informational) — Cassie McClure 31 32 Ms. McClure said that as a district representative on the Board, what does this mean, 33 what is her goal, what is her work to fulfill in this position, is she reaching out to the 34 constituents in her district? Ms. McClure said she was doing some public relations work 35 with the Utilities Department and their Advisory Board is doing some tabling and getting 36 ahead of some of the stories. Ms. McClure said this seems to be applicable to this Board, 37 not only as the Board being a receptor of information but to funnel it to Parks and 38 Recreation staff. 39 40 Ms. McClure provided the Board a copy of a parent survey with feedback from different 41 parts of the country to a question she asked online from a national organization called 42 Mom Life. The question asked was, "what do you look for in a park?". Ms. McClure said 43 she wasn't sure if the Board is empowered to ask these sorts of questions online locally. 44 H I Ms. McClure asked if this type of outreach, if the Board has an idea of story, if a Board 2 member wants to table, if a Board member wants to have a district meeting, is this 3 something the Board can do or is interested in doing? 4 5 Chair O'Neill said at one time, the Board had a form they could fill out when they were 6 out at the parks with issues or concerns and bring back to staff. He said as far as 7 meetings, City Council already has district meetings and maybe the Board could team 8 up with their Councilor and attend those meetings to get input. 9 10 Ms. Delgado said this is exactly what Peak Performance is about - customer focus, 11 listening and understanding the perspective the customer is coming from. Ms. Delgado 12 said staff could assist, with Ms. Vasconcellos help, in putting district meetings together 13 to talk about Parks and Recreation, and to get input about programs and amenities. 14 15 Ms. McClure asked what the Board's role would be. Ms. Delgado said she would have 16 to check on some of these things, but the Board could send the information out on 17 scheduled meetings. Ms. Delgado said if the Board member wants to have meetings in 18 their district, that is something the Board member can do. Ms. Delgado said staff can 19 come back to the Board with some options to move forward on. Ms. Delgado said staff 20 wants to do outreach and it's about what the customer is looking for. 21 22 The Board asked for this idea to be brought back as an action item at the next meeting. 23 24 C. Downtown Art Mural (Informational) — Robert Nunez 25 26 Mr. Nunez informed the Board a private artist came to Parks and Recreation staff and 27 asked for some youth participation to assist with an art project. Eight participants from 28 the Juvenile Citation Program put in 32 hours, learning how the artist set the canvas up 29 on a building, paint texture, types of brushes to use, etc. The Board was provided with 30 pictures of the result. 31 32 D. Apodaca Blue Print (Informational) — Sonya Delgado 33 34 Mr. Tim Pitts, Planning and Neighborhood Services Administrator in Community 35 Development, was present to provide information regarding the Apodaca Blue Print. Mr. 36 Pitts informed the Board the Apodaca plan was approached with community blue prints, 37 where everything in an area is looked at - public safety, parks, roads, economic 38 development, etc. The Apodaca area was chosen because the country club area was 39 purchased by a developer with plans to build a hospital and other things. With Apodaca 40 Park and the Villa Mora dam property owned by the City being on both ends of the 41 Country Club property, Mr. Pitts said the City had an opportunity to work with the builder 42 and a community blue print was put together. Mr. Pitts said a survey was put out to get 43 input from the public. Mr. Pitts advised the Board they could see all the documents the 44 consultant is putting together at www.apodacablueprint.com. 45 F 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Concerns expressed by the Board were ADA regulations, no parking, developers not knowing Las Cruces demographics or of retail already in the area. Chair O'Neill expressed the stadium (ballfield) in the area is being disregarded. VI. Public Comments Ms. Vasconcellos introduced herself as a Marketing Coordinator for the City. Her position is new and her job is to enhance the City's marketing efforts. Parks and Recreation is assigned to her. VII. Staff Comments Ms. Nevarez advised the Board the plaque for Mr. Royalty is complete and if the Board will want to invite him to the next Board meeting. Vill. Member Comments Mr. Guzman said he was at Young Park and he noticed the pavilion was fenced off. Ms. Delgado reported the pavilion needs to be replaced and staff needs to find funding in the budget to do this. Cost will be $18,000 to repair or $34,000 to replace. Mr. Smith complimented the holiday decorations placed in the plaza and any opportunities to continue developing on this is worthwhile. Ms. Delgado says staff does have ideas to continue with other ideas to bring in more holiday ornaments to include La Entrada and Johnson Park. Ms. Zahler understood from the minutes that student art should be in the schools and thinks Board Chair should talk to Mr. Ed about placing art at City Hall. Ms. Delgado said she will take the question to Mr. Ed. Ms. Zahler asked status on Board shirts. Hazel responded the order has not been placed. Mr. O'Neill mentioned updating website with pictures of the Board. Ms. Delgado said she will schedule pictures to be taken. Ms. Zahler asked if there has been any discussion about a second dog park. Ms. Delgado said staff can look at some areas. The Villa Mora project was on the table as an option and was brought up during the Apodaca blueprint. Ms. Zahler recommended looking up dog parks in Portland, OR which are all open parks. Ms. Zahler informed the Board she and Ms. Delgado are meeting with the Veteran's Board January 23. Ms. Zahler said she has pictures of war service dogs. Ms. Zahler said Senator Steinborn assured state funds if everything is ready in 2019. Ms. Zahler said Representative Joann Ferrara would also sign off on a bill for funding. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Ms. Zahler said she still would like the City attorney to speak to the Board on anti - donation. Ms. Zahler said she would like to see staff address the pipes at Munson garden. Gardeners should not have to bring bottled water to water their plants in the winter. Chair O'Neill informed the Board he meets with Ms. Delgado and Ms. Nevarez on the Tuesday of the week before the Board meeting to set the agenda and asked the Board to call him if they want items on the agenda. Ms. McClure asked if there was something that could be done on seating for guests who attend the Board meeting so they aren't seated against the wall. IX. Adjournment Ms. Zahler moved to adjourn meeting, seconded by Mr. Guzman. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 7:52 p.m. Cl/, az�;`Nevarez, Recor i i Secretary Mark O'Neill, air P&R Board VA