Loading...
07-19-18 PRABPARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEETING July 19, 2018 1 The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Meeting was held on July 19, 2018 at the 2 Parks and Recreation Conference Room, 1501 E. Hadley, Las Cruces, NM. 3 4 PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: 5 Cassie McClure 6 Robert Harrison 7 Stanley Engle 8 Maryln Zahler 9 Mark O'Neill 10 11 PARKS & RECREATION ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: 12 Eli Guzman 13 Megan Schuller 14 15 OTHERS PRESENT: 16 Kathy Thiel, Recording Secretary 17 Phil Catanach, Recreation & Youth Services Administrator 18 Sonya Delgado, Director of Parks & Recreation 19 Franco Granillo, Parks Administrator 20 Cathy Mathews, Landscape Architect 21 Gregory Shervanick, Resident 22 Lu Daly 23 James Woods, KLCB 24 Jennifer Vega Brown, City Attorney 25 Kevin Armstrong 26 Russ Smith, Previous Board Member 27 28 29 The meeting was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by Chair O'Neill and recognized the meeting 30 as having a legal quorum. 31 32 Before introductions were made, Chair O'Neill presented Mr. Russ Smith with a plaque 33 in appreciation for his previous service representing District 4 on the Parks & Recreation 34 Advisory Board. 35 36 I. Introductions 37 38 Board members introduced themselves and stated the district they represent. Staff 39 introduced themselves and stated their position. 40 41 II. Conflict of Interest 42 1 I No conflict of interest. 2 3 III. Approval of Agenda 4 5 Ms. Zahler moved to approve Board meeting agenda, seconded by Mr. Harrison. Motion 6 carried unanimously. 7 8 IV. Approval of Minutes 9 10 Ms. Zahler moved to approve the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meeting minutes 11 dated June 21, 2018, seconded by Ms. McClure. Motion carried unanimously. 12 13 V. Public Comment 14 15 Ms. Lucille Daly informed the Board she and her husband have two dogs and they often 16 walk the walking dog path from Camino Real to the railroad track which is about 1 Y2 17 miles. She said, at the present time, there is only one dog waste station there and the 18 path is lined with feces. Ms. Daly expressed she is begging for a bag station at El Camino 19 Real where path begins, a waste basket halfway between El Camino Real and Dona 20 Ana Road, a second bag station at Dona Ana Road, and another waste basket between 21 the current station that stands and Valley. She said she hopes Parks and Recreation 22 can afford two bag stations and two waste baskets and she hopes sincerely the GO Bond 23 passes. 24 25 Ms. Daly also informed the Board the fence to the path was taken down when the ditches 26 were being cleaned three years ago and has still not been put back up. 27 28 Ms. Delgado said Parks and Recreation will put the trash bags and trash bag containers. 29 Ms. Delgado said she will talk to the streets department to see what can be done to 30 rectify the fence situation and will give Ms. Daly a call when she has information. 31 32 Ms. Daly also pleaded for lighting at the City's current dog park. Ms. Delgado staff is 33 looking into this and are looking at possible grants to put this together. Ms. Delgado 34 mentioned parks usually don't have lights because park hours are dusk to dawn. 35 36 Ms. Zahler added most dog parks in this country do not have lights at night time for safety 37 reasons. 38 39 VI. Unfinished Business 40 41 A. Anti -Donation (Informational) — Jennifer Vega -Brown, City Attorney 42 43 Ms. Jennifer Vega -Brown presented a power point on Anti -Donation to the Board 44 allowing for questions following the presentation. Ms. Vega -Brown emphasized one 45 misconception is that the City can't take donations. She said the City can take donations, 46 they just can't give donations. 2 1 2 Ms. Zahler asked why is it the City has helped Veteran's Park, she is thinking the City 3 raised money for the things at Veteran's Park. Ms. Delgado said a majority of the 4 monuments came from state legislative funding and on a couple of occasions, a few 5 veterans have bought and donated items to the park. 6 7 Ms. Zahler said she has promises from legislators to provide funding for a war dog 8 memorial and asked why it is they can provide these capital funds. Ms. Vega -Brown said 9 the state can make appropriation for a particular park or for capital improvement. She 10 said it is not anti -donation for a government to give to another government agency 11 subsidiary of a government. 12 13 B. Keep Las Cruces Beautiful (KLCB) - (Informational) — James Woods 14 15 Mr. James Wood informed the Board on some highlights for KLCB. For the Great 16 American Clean Up, there were more than 2,000 registered volunteers. KLCB partnered 17 with a group from New Mexico State University, Keep the State Great, for this clean up. 18 The volunteers collected over 11 tons of trash and there were six roll offs placed around 19 the city which also collected over 11 tons of trash. 20 21 Mr. Woods informed the Board the Adopt a Spot is being revamped and he is getting 22 close to doing a press release and placing new signage. He said staff is thinking of doing 23 a ground breaking and ribbon type ceremony with one of the groups adopting a spot, 24 Friends of Gallagher Park, when their sign is installed. 25 26 Mr. Woods informed the Board during the summer months, graffiti is addressed. He said 27 in the last couple of months a graffiti sweep was done concentrating on poles electrical 28 boxes, dumpsters, abating over 100 different locations. Mr. Woods said along with this, 29 one of their projects is painting multi -colored walls that had graffiti at one point with one 30 solid color. 31 32 Mr. Woods informed the Board National Night Out is next month where information is 33 given out about the KLCB program with giveaways for the youth. 34 35 Mr. Engle commented he is glad graffiti is being addressed along with the multi -colored 36 walls. 37 38 Chair O'Neill asked during the clean-up when the roll offs are provided, paint is not 39 accepted? Mr. Woods said there are assigned dates where the Police Department or 40 Codes accepts those types of items. 41 42 G Youth Board (Informational) — Robert Nunez Phil Catanach 43 44 Mr. Catanach informed the Board interviews have been completed and the 16-member 45 Youth Board has been selected. They will be introduced to City Council at the July 23 46 work session and to the Board at the August 16, 2018 Board meeting. 3 1 2 Ms. Zahler asked if there were any boys on the Youth Board. Mr. Catanach said yes. 3 4 Ms. Zahler asked age of the Youth Board. Mr. Catanach said older middle school age. 5 Ms. Delgado said youth are between 6th grade to 12th grade. 6 7 D. 41h of July (Informational) — Phil Catanach 8 9 Mr. Catanach informed the Board the 4th of July celebration was very successful. The 10 Electric 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run kicked off the celebration weekend with over 340 runners, 11 the biggest run event the Running Club has had. The parade had 51 floats plus first 12 responders and police making it over well over 60. It is estimated that 5,000 to 7,000 13 people watched the parade. The 4th of July event was held at the Pat and Lou Sisbarro 14 Park. The concerts were a big hit. Fireworks kicked off at 9:45 p.m. with a 21-minute 15 show. Pros were: 16 • Crowd size, with well over 20,000 people as opposed to 5,000 to 7,000 at the 17 Field of Dreams. 18 • Expanded parking and better traffic flow. 19 • More space and just a great place to view the fireworks. 20 Cons were: 21 • Expanded traffic control and security costs. 22 • Overall cost of the program. 23 Neutral: 24 • Communication needs between the City of Las Cruces and NMSU. 25 Issues: 26 • NMSU policy is to do a bag check and with food trucks on side before entering 27 park, people would have to consistently go thru a bag check to re-entering the 28 park. 29 • Travel distance from the parking lot to the stage. (Had only two carts to bring 30 people with disabilities or mobility problems to stage area.) 31 • Strong winds at beginning when concert kicked off. 32 . Long distance from dressing room at Pan American Center to the stage. 33 • VIP area at Fulton Center was a long distance from the stage. 34 A debrief with the City will be July 31, 2018 and mid -August with NMSU and City leaders 35 and from there will know what to do for next year. 36 37 Ms. Zahler asked if there were any problems. Mr. Catanach said there were no 38 problems with exception of a few disorderly people in the parking lot. 39 40 Mr. Armstrong mentioned there was a baseball event, Skills Competition, around the 41 fields around the Dog Park by Meerscheidt Recreation Center on July 4. He said some 42 families brought pets on the fields and as soon as it got dark, fireworks were lit and asked 43 if maybe this event could be scheduled at a different time. Chair O'Neill said this will be 44 noted but is not an agenda item or public comment. 45 0 I Mr. Armstrong mentioned during the parade on July 3, there was no notice of street 2 closures - Hadley, most of Hermosa all the way back up to Griggs. He said they started 3 by the parking lot by the rolling rink at Meerscheidt Recreation Center, then it moved up 4 to the other side of that same parking lot, then it moved up to Las Cruces Ave., and then 5 it moved up to the whole street blocking in the people who were at the Dog Park. He 6 said they had to wait for barricades to be moved to get out. Mr. Catanach responded for 7 the traffic control route goes down Madrid, down Solano, down Hadley, and south on 8 Hermosa and is actually a drive off the staging area; instead of parking at the end of the 9 parade, it's a drive off. Mr. Catanach said staff had to put those road blocks because 10 parade floats would be coming down Hadley and turning on Hermosa. Mr. Armstrong 11 said it would be helpful if there is advanced notice of street closures and if sent to the 12 Dog Coalition, they could post it at the park a week ahead of time. Ms. Delgado said 13 staff will do a better job of notifying all the groups that utilize the Hadley Complex during 14 that time. 15 16 E. East Mesa Mural (Informational) — Phil Catanach 17 18 Mr. Catanach informed the Board the mural at the East Mesa Recreation Center was 19 unveiled July 7, 2018. A copy of the article and picture of the mural featured in the Las 20 Las Cruces Sun News was provided to the Board. Mr. Catanach informed the Board the 21 mural was painted by a group of teenagers and Parks and Recreation staff as part of this 22 summer's teen mural program. He said the picture is of movement to liven up the area 23 where gymnastics classes are held. Mr. Catanach said there was a big media presence 24 at the unveiling with a couple of TV stations and both The Bulletin and the Las Cruces 25 Sun News. 26 27 F. Peak Performance (Board Questions) — Sonya Delgado 28 29 Chair O'Neill reminded the Board they received the Parks and Recreation Department 30 Strategic Business Plan at the last Board meeting to review and bring forth any questions 31 to this meeting. 32 33 Chair O'Neill said he would like a copy of the Parks and Recreation organization chart. 34 Ms. Zahler asked if the organization chart shows the names of the people or just titles. 35 Ms. Delgado said both names and titles show on the organization chart. 36 37 Chair O'Neill asked if the budget focus group was still going to happen. Ms. Delgado 38 reported Ms. Leeann DeMouche, Budget Director, was doing this as a project for 39 certification for Managing for Results, but had to change her focus and do something 40 different and will no longer be putting the focus group together. 41 42 Ms. Zahler asked if Board will receive an overview report of Peak Performance other 43 than the business plan that was created. Ms. Delgado said yes. 44 45 G. Board Goals (Informational) — Chair O'Neill 46 E I Chair O'Neill informed the Board the Board's objectives and goals in relationship to Peak 2 Performance need to be set up. Chair O'Neill will resend to the Board his notes on the 3 Board's functions to review and they can then send him any comments or questions. 4 When the Board is ready to proceed with this item, it can be put back on the agenda. 5 6 VII. New Business 7 8 A. Benavidez Center Masterplan (Informational) — Cathy Mathews 9 10 Ms. Cathy Mathews informed the Board a public meeting was held June 26, 2018 at the 11 Benavidez Community Center. A presentation was made to neighbors of the Benavidez 12 Community Center with discussion of the current state of the center, the outdoor space, 13 an existing master plan from when the center was first built in the 1990's for improvement 14 of the entire outdoor space, and what the public felt about that master plan - what they 15 liked and didn't like. She said the existing master plan shows a lot of green space, 16 additional trees, additional play equipment and a proposed master plan shows 17 something similar but with some updated ideas for today. Ms. Mathews said the area to 18 the west of the center, undeveloped, was being used to practice ball. The space is not 19 large enough for a full-size ball field with an entire outfield. Ms. Mathews said the public 20 consensus was to keep to the original master plan and to consider options for the master 21 plan — how parking would be controlled and how parking issues would be addressed 22 noting potential for vehicle damage, need for shelter and shade over the play equipment 23 because of intense sun. The public want something that will appeal to all ages as far as 24 events in the building. There was discussion regarding the perceived need for lighting 25 for some people. The public liked the idea of walking trails. There was mention of a need 26 for bathrooms and how that might be dealt with. The public was interested in splash 27 pads, the concept of a dog park, trees, screening the area and the desire to keep a rural 28 aesthetic around McClure. Ms. Mathews said the master planning process is essentially 29 complete with the conclusion to keep the original master plan, keeping these points in 30 mind for the future. 31 32 Mr. Engle asked if a dog park was added to original design, what would be done to the 33 street as far as parking goes. Ms. Mathews said there is concern with putting any kind 34 of development on 2"d Street across from Benavidez. Parking would more likely have to 35 be added to existing parking and people would have to cross the street to get to the dog 36 park. 37 38 Chair O'Neill commented he would like to see the ball practice field stay. 39 40 Ms. Zahler asked if agility equipment could be looked at for the dog park. Ms. Delgado 41 said as this process continues, information will be brought back to the Board before 42 presenting to City Council. 43 44 Mr. Armstrong asked about the size of an area south of the proposed area for the dog 45 park. Ms. Mathews said the area referred to is a regional retention pond and is not 46 available for use in that sense. 2 1 2 Ms. Mathews added the master plan she presented to the public did include an outdoor 3 gym. 4 5 B. Model Airplane Airport Agreement (Action) — Franco Granillo 6 7 A draft copy of proposed Mesilla Valley Model Airplane Club Agreement was provided 8 to the Board. Mr. Granillo informed the Board he did not intend this to be an action item 9 but rather to give an overview to the Board of what this agreement is for and bring it up 10 for action at the next Board meeting. Mr. Granillo informed the Board this is an agreement 11 of use and working agreement between the City of Las Cruces and the Mesilla Valley 12 Model Airplane Club. He said the agreement covers expectations of city staff, 13 expectations of the club, a template of operations for future agreements. The agreement 14 will be used to have city staff to open and close facilities, to better control and police 15 what goes on. The agreement is to provide educational and recreational opportunities 16 for youth in lieu of fees; adults will still pay and follow the regular permitting process for 17 events. The agreement will help report volunteer, event, and participation numbers for 18 the facilities. 19 20 Ms. McClure asked how does the agreement change more from a community focus to a 21 youth focus. Ms. Delgado said the reason it was put specifically for youth is to use same 22 concept as in the fees and charges where the youth are not charged, where as adults 23 are. 24 25 Ms. Zahler asked if there have been any inquiries to develop a drone park. Mr. Granillo 26 said the Mesilla Valley Model Airplane Club (MVMAC) has reached out to the drone 27 community to partner with them and have an open space to fly drones. 28 29 Ms. Zahler asked if model airplane owners have to get a special license to fly. Mr. 30 Granillo said one of the reasons for putting this agreement together is because there are 31 certain requirements to fly. 32 33 Mr. Engle asked if you can't just show up with an airplane and fly. Mr. Granillo said yes. 34 35 Chair O'Neill questioned the mark up on the draft agreement. Mr. Granillo said the 36 verbiage in red are corrections to the agreement. 37 38 C. Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership Grant (Informational) — Cathy 39 Mathews 40 41 Ms. Mathews informed the Board the City is considering and working on an application 42 for an Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership Program grant. Staff discussed and 43 determined some work on Apodaca Park could meet some requirements of the grant 44 and bring some added benefits to an area of town that could benefit from additional 45 recreational amenities. The specific area being considered for improvement under this 46 grant include the old swimming pool with a shallow kiddie pool and an old bathhouse, 7 I existing on the side are some picnic facilities, tennis ball/pickle ball courts and a 2 playground, walkways and parking area. Ms. Mathews said the proposal for this grant is 3 to bring desired facility to this area of town calling it an aquatic playground, making use 4 of some existing infrastructure and add a new restroom area. In addition to this is to also 5 create a multi -paved pathway to create access points for the neighborhood and to 6 encourage use of the entire park as well. She said the grant is proposing to refurbish 7 the existing terrestrial playground, bring in additional turf grass, additional shade trees, 8 and to connect through the multi -use trail to the rest of the park and to the neighborhood 9 and potential new neighborhood. 10 11 Ms. Zahler asked this will have areas for people with disabilities. Ms. Mathews said yes, 12 ADA compliant and provide access for all members of the community. 13 14 Ms. Mathews said the idea is to add additional recreational amenities in an effort to 15 achieve the goals of Parks and Recreation's master plan and the State Comprehensive 16 Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP). This updates Apodaca Park in conjunction with the 17 Apodaca Blue Print, provides recreation for community members of all ages with a 18 variety of activities, brings new amenities to this area of town, with a goal of increasing 19 economic development. The grant is up to $750,000.00, requiring a one to one match. 20 The City is proposing to match the $750,000.00 with $750,000.00 of park impact fees. 21 The grant will fund the demolition of the existing pool and bath house, upgrade the 22 terrestrial playground with new recreational amenities for children and construction of 23 new restroom. The park impact fees will fund the construction of aquatic playground, 24 construction of walking path, new picnic shelters, shade structures and tables, benches, 25 trash receptacles, include irrigation for new turf areas, and additional signage. 26 27 Chair O'Neill asked if the courts are going to stay. Ms. Mathews said yes. 28 29 Ms. Zahler asked where this grant is coming from. Ms. Mathews said she believes the 30 grant is from the National Parks Service, a pass through from the State Parks 31 Department. 32 33 Ms. Zahler asked Ms. Delgado if she will be getting additional money for employees to 34 take care of all these parks. Ms. Delgado said this grant doesn't cover funding for 35 ongoing maintenance, this would be something to address on next budget process. Ms. 36 Delgado said maintenance dollars times levels of service etc. are all spelled out on Peak 37 Performance. 38 39 Chair O'Neil's concern was the match. Ms. Delgado said the match comes from park 40 impact fees so the money is available. 41 42 Ms. McClure asked if there is possibility for partial funding. Ms. Mathews said her 43 understanding is the funding is granted for the requested amount or not. 44 45 Ms. McClure what the time line is on the grant. Ms. Mathews said the grant is to be 46 awarded next spring so money would be in next fiscal year's budget. That is when 1 additional planning and design would start with an eighteen -month (18) timeframe to 2 completion. 3 4 Ms. Mathews added staff is planning to also get input from youth in the community. A 5 work shop with youth at Safe Haven (younger youth) will be held next week to get their 6 ideas of what play elements they would like to see. On July 31, a workshop will be held 7 with youth (teen) at Frank O'Brien Papen Community Center and from the Youth Board 8 for a design approach of amenities they would like to see. This information will be 9 presented as part of the grant application. 10 11 D. Sharing of Fields/NMSU (Informational) — Cassie McClure 12 13 Ms. Delgado informed the Board Ms. McClure asked whether or not staff has ever 14 considered partnering or sharing fields with NMSU with regards to our facilities. Ms. 15 McClure was approached by some members of the community regarding the baseball 16 tournament that happened and how we use all the fields. Ms. Delgado say all our fields 17 are used as well as the Las Cruces Public School complexes by the Field of Dreams. 18 Ms. Delgado said that when a tournament comes in and ask for fields, they are asked 19 how many teams or they are told the max limits of how many games they can have, what 20 time they can use the fields, how long game time is, etc. Staff doesn't allow a 21 tournament come in that cannot be accommodated. This is also done with any other 22 group. Staff did talk to NMSU and they don't necessarily partner with the community to 23 use fields. Their fields can be used but rates are high. 24 25 Mr. Catanach added staff pays a steep fee for one -day use of NMSU's activity center for 26 youth basketball, which is done once a year. 27 28 Mr. Harrison asked who does the concessions when tournaments are held. Ms. Delgado 29 said staff has been trying to put together a contract with Convention and Visitors Bureau 30 and Parks and Recreation to give outside entities who utilize the fields a choice — either 31 use the person on RFP who already have their permits, or if they bring their own 32 concessionaire, they would have to pay our person who will be losing out on sales and 33 give them sufficient time to move out. Their concessionaire would also have to have the 34 necessary local permits. When contract is drafted, it will be brought forward to the Board. 35 36 Vill. Staff Member Comments 37 38 Mr. Catanach informed the Board Teen Splash will be held at the Regional Aquatic 39 Center on July 29, 2018 from 7 pm to 11 pm. He invited the Board to the Kids Expo being 40 held at Plaza de Las Cruces August 4, 2018 from 9 am to noon. Music in the Park is 41 August 19, 2018 with Maria Muldaur. July 26, 2018 is the last Music in the Plaza — 42 Mexico Vive. 43 44 Mr. Granado informed the Board staff is working hard on beautification maintenance, 45 and partnerships such as Friends of West Gallagher Park is moving along very well. 46 0 I IX. Board Member Comments 2 3 Ms. McClure said she had a question on bio-solids and will email Mr. Granado. 4 5 Ms. Zahler informed the Board they should have all received copies of the letter from the 6 sculptress for the dog memorial and list of names of who letters will go out to. She said 7 she will be meeting with Ms. Delgado to put everything together. Ms. Zahler said she is 8 thinking the County Manager should also get a letter because he was a former Senator 9 and Judge and could have a lot of contacts. She said she is having a problem of finding 10 rock quarries and would like help from the Board. She said if the Board thinks of other 11 names that need to be on the list, to give her a call. 12 13 Ms. Zahler recommended sending Chair O'Neill to the National Recreation and Park 14 Association (NRPA) Annual Conference in September. 15 16 Ms. Zahler said she will meet with Ms. Nevarez regarding the NRPA dog park webinar. 17 18 Ms. Zahler asked if there is any way Parks and Recreation could pay for a storage unit 19 for the dog park. Ms. Delgado this is one of several items being discussed with the Dog 20 Coalition. 21 22 Chair O'Neill informed the Board if they have any items they would like to add to the 23 Board agenda, to please contact him. He also asked the Board when Ms. Nevarez 24 notifies the Board of the upcoming meetings, to respond letting her know if they will be 25 in attendance. 26 27 Chair O'Neill said the programs downtown are really great. 28 29 Chair O'Neill suggested the Youth Board be notified of all upcoming events from Public 30 Information Office (PIO). He also said the Youth Board should get a copy of Parks and 31 Recreation Advisory Board Meeting minutes. 32 33 Chair O'Neill asked if he can attend the Dog Park Coalition meeting July 24, 2018. Ms. 34 Delgado said he can attend. 35 36 Chair O'Neill reported he gave his report to City Council on July 9, 2018 and Council 37 thanked the Board for their hard work. 38 39 Mr. Harrison said great job on 4th of July and Electric Light Parade. 40 41 42 43 X. Adjournment 44 45 Ms. McClure moved to adjourn seconded by Ms. Zahler. Motion carried unanimously. 46 Meeting adjourned at 8:21 p.m. 10 5 6 vk 7 8 Kathy Thiel, Recording Secretary 11