Loading...
03-10-1999 FOURTH OF JULY COMMITTEE MEETING NOTES MARCH 10, 1999 Present: Erlinda Portillo, Eldon Cherry, Richard Parra, Fred Frank, Robert Caldwell, John Brown - Las Cruces Sun News and Barbara Lopez - Recording Secretary MARKETING/ADVERTISING: Mr. John Brown from the Las Cruces Sun News who is handling marketing for the 150`h Committee was introduced. Rob stated that he was waiting for a report from George Newman to present to John but has not yet received it. A design is needed for a commemorative pin for the 150/4th of July Events. A design for a banner which can be used year after year is also needed. Rob, George and John Brown will need to meet to discuss promotion - marketing/advertising of the concert and street festival. El Paso stations will sponsor - Channel 4 has rights to a first presentation. A headline is needed for the street festival, Rob had a suggestion - A Century and a 1/2 Birthday Bash Celebration. PARADE: Eldon stated that so far they have received 9 parade entries and have 2 ads sponsored to-date. Folders may possibly be ready next week for packet mail-outs, 250 were ordered. ENTERTAINMENT: Linda Ronstadt has confirmed that she will be performing the July 2nd concert for $87,500.00. The price came down from $100,000,00 because she is performing a concert in Albuquerque on July 41h The Convention and Visitor's Bureau will handle promotions for the concert within a 300 mile radius which could include Phoenix, Colorado and Texas. They may offer a packet with breaks in hotel/motel costs and an invitation to the street festival and how to obtain concert tickets, etc. Linda has requested that we provide an orchestra, Mayor Ruben Smith will see to getting the orchestra for her. Linda has been asked to include some of her spanish songs as part of the concert, if she agrees, mariachi's will also need to be lined up. Erlinda stated that she had received a bid from a mariachi group for the concert. Rob stated that Mariachi Alegre has expressed an interest in performing for the exposure and not pay. Rob mentioned that the groups listed on the last meeting notes have all been signed. There will be no admission fee at the street festival gates. Local and regional acts are still needed to fill in the gaps at the festival. LOGISTICS: Richard didn't have anything to report at this time. Robert mentioned that he has met with the pyrotechnics committee and it has been confirmed that they can fire the fireworks from the county yard area. MISCELLANOUS TOPICS DISCUSSED: Rob informed the committee he has received and reviewed estimates from the Pan American Center for concert related costs being charged to the City/Committee and they are very high. Linda Ronstadt will be performing music from her early career to the present. An opening act has been considered but not decided on, or if they should even be one at all. Rob asked Erlinda to work on putting together some kind of concert reception either at the Pan Am or at a hotel (look into the Hilton). Erlinda stated that she will need to reserve the location pretty quickly. Rob said that as soon as he gets the signed contract back she can go ahead. Erlinda stated that she will go ahead and tentatively schedule the Hilton. Rob reviewed the vendor letter and noted that the vendor's fee has been raised from $50 to $100 because this year it will be a two-day event. Richard will review the letter and application for final ok before it is mailed out. Erlinda asked if non-profit groups / volunteers will be handling beverage sales this year. Response from Rob was that it is a possibility but only up and down the parade route, there will probably be no trailers set up this year. Rob mentioned that the Purchasing Department would have to send out information on specifics for sponsorship to the beverage companies. But he has drafted a letter and info sheet to send out asking them to consider sending in a proposal. Rob has recruited Burger Time as a sponsor for$1000.00 - upped from last year's $500.00. He stated that he is trying to get last year's sponsorships upped this year, including the Hilton Hotel. Rob asked committee members for estimates on what they anticipate spending. The Sun News will coordinate promotion for the 150th/4th of July Events. George Newman will be in contact with other media. A VIP Packet may be worked up, possibly with concert tickets included. Barbara Hubbard predicts a 70% sell-out. Rob mentioned that was ok, 70%will break even. George will handle all media promotions including parade, but Eldon and Fred may assist him with parade promotions if they wish and discuss with George. The next meeting date was set for April 14. Meeting was adjourned.