Loading...
08-11-1999 1 DEVELOPMENT REVIEW COMMITTEE (DRC) MEETING 2 August 11, 1999 3 4 Following are the summary minutes of the Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting on 5 August 11, 1999, held at City Council Chambers. 6 7 Members Present: Ernest Covarrubia(Fire) 8 Brian Denmark(PLNG) 9 Jim Ericson(DSD) 10 Jorge Garcia(JU) 11 Robert Garza(Engineering) 12 Rollie Wright(Comm. Services Adm.) 13 14 Staff Present: Tony Aguirre (JU) 15 Sheri Anderson (PLNG) 16 Kyle Boyd (Fire) 17 Mike Johnson(Traffic Operations) 18 Robert Kyle (PLNG) 19 Dahna Raugh(PLNG 20 Vince Sanchez(JU) 21 Dan Soriano (PLNG) 22 23 Others Present: Eddie Binns 24 Teresa Gibbs 25 David Gordon 26 Ted Scanlon 27 Eli Tarin 28 29 30 I. CALL TO ORDER 31 32 Meeting called to order at 9:05 AM. 33 34 35 II. CASE INTRODUCTION 36 37 1. Las Cruces Home Builders Association Special Events Center 38 39 Binns' Overview 40 41 In an overview of the Home Builders Association(HBA) Special Events Center, Eddie Binns 42 stated the site is a 7'/2 acre tract of land and they will be obtaining approximately one more acre 43 from Earl Stull on the ribbon of land to the northwest of the property which is presently a utility 44 easement. Some main water and sewer lines feed into that easement area. It is expected that 45 parking and/or routing of traffic will be expanded around the back of the building for deliveries 46 and outflow(? 15). 47 48 Binns anticipates moving upward approximately 45000 square feet, cumulatively, with about 49 5000 sq. feet of offices in the north end of the building, about 5000 sq. feet at the south end in a 50 service kitchen and storage area for chairs, tables, and support ? (assistance, 19), and about 3500 51 sq. feet in the primary events portion of the building. This last portion would have folding 52 partitions that would "step it down" into various smaller sizes. 53 54 Based on square footage lots and layouts, Ted Scanlon experimented with the layout. They plan 55 on having approximately 400 parking spaces. 56 57 58 1 t e r 1 Drainaee 2 3 Presently, the site drains to the southwest, down to the corner. In the lower corner is the outfall 4 channel for the large detention dam. Currently, "the water from this site is draining in that 5 configuration and dropping into that channel." Binns and his associates would like to explore 6 possibilities of continuing that process, possibly doing detention at the bottom end to slow it 7 down from the asphalt, but yet in turn put in a spillway pipe that would let it flow on out and 8 dump the holding area. He stated this seems like a reasonable method to handle drainage off of 9 that much asphalt. 10 11 Traffic 12 13 Citizen's Bank has indicated they have a problem with traffic being able to navigate a turn to exit 14 one of their drive-thru windows that's on a corner. As a result, Binns stated they have explored 15 the possibility of relocating some property lines or doing some joint use driveways, so that the 16 present driveway that feeds Citizen's Bank will be enlarged and incorporated; thus, only one 17 entrance would come into the area off the main street and it would be a joint driveway that would 18 feed the proposed structure and the bank. There are other outlets from the bank onto the side 19 street, Temple, and there are exits off of Temple. 20 21 Highway 70 went through this property many years ago. The old Highway 70 extends in an 22 easterly direction and gives another outlet for traffic to move west and to exit on Elks Club 23 Drive. This is an example of the alternate exits for traffic, from Temple to Lenox and up to Elks. 24 Thus, there are options in moving traffic. 25 26 At the recent City Council meeting, Tommy Tomlin expressed a concern regarding the traffic on 27 and off of Temple and on Highway 70. Tomlin had asked if they intended to put in street lights 28 and Binns had responded that they did not have this in their budgets and/or in the process. Binns 29 said they would look to the City for assistance in providing traffic signal lights. Recognizing 30 that the multiple lanes on Main Street is a big item, he stated there are outlets and spacing 31 between the lights down below and up above so that traffic can be staggered. 32 33 Zoninp- 34 35 Currently, the tract of land on the front portion(the area that fronts on Main Street) carries a C-2 36 zoning. The portion behind that is an O-lc zone. Before this tract of land was acquired by 37 Binns, its acquisition was contingent on obtaining an O-lc zoning, to replace the R zoning it had. 38 It was understood, when he acquired this land,that the facility upon it would be used as an events 39 center for meetings and displays, etc. The original plan to have 15,000 square feet was 40 acceptable for that zoning. 41 42 Binns speculated on possibly being required to obtain a special use permit for, for instance, better 43 disclosure to the community. 44 45 Binns identified drainage, utilities, traffic, and zoning as the key issues. 46 47 Staff's response: 48 49 Drainaize 50 51 Ericson stated the drainage issue will have to go as an agreement to the Council. Aspects that 52 need to be examined are the volumes that can be handled and the type of detention that will be 53 needed. (The detention type is a design issue.) 54 55 Binns was informed that there is an existing drain line there. (It turns "on" and"off' from a 56 well.) ; It is on the Stull property, which is the strip that will become a roadway; it is not on the 57 first piece of property. 58 2 1 Design 2 3 Binns said"the detention type is a design issue inasmuch as the present outfalls are through some 4 channels on this property and on the old roadway bed. At this time, we're not changing the 5 precedence. We're just increasing the flow from the asphalting (? 78)there." Garza said they 6 want to ensure there is a ponding area that would control the flow out of there, and water quality 7 things,too. Ericson's big concern was water spilling outside the channel when the outfall 8 channel is full from a storm. 9 10 Traffic 11 12 Ericson said they need to talk to Council about having a traffic signal there. The Highway 13 Department will have to get involved for a traffic study. Regarding this study and the in-and-out 14 entrance, Binns informed the committee that Larry Underwood is working on obtaining permits 15 from NMSHTD. Binns said he is hesitant to request a traffic count and he would like help from 16 staff on those issues. In response, Denmark provided that the City may have some figures but 17 they do not have turning movement counts. The State might require Binns or the HBA to 18 perform the traffic impact analysis to justify the traffic signal. Garza supplemented this, saying 19 they will not consider allowing the City to put in a signal if it does not meet several warrants. 20 21 Ericson suggested Binns take the proposal to the State on his permits and see what they ask, as 22 they may not ask for much. That way, he will not waste time and money doing things the State 23 may not require. Once he does this, he must contact the DRC so they can figure out how to 24 proceed. Binns then informed the committee that they are looking at a consolidated use of an 25 entrance here " and the other exit traffic is going to be over there, and see how they play." If 26 they end up going to a signal "here," Citizen's Bank must be contacted about possibly moving 27 their driveway back. Fifty (50) feet of right-of-way is not being used. Binns asserted that HBA 28 recognizes the safety and welfare of their customers and that they would"look and listen." 29 30 Garza speculated that there is not enough space to turn left into this driveway after coming off of 31 the bridge; he said that that could just be an exit due to the limited left turn. This is a concern, as 32 there would not be much left-turn stacking. Binns and Scanlon said there is a guard rail there. 33 Binns said they could do left-turn stacking and just limit it to Temple, but use that for backup so 34 that the turning lanes are stacked on a turning lane but not turn in from Main Street. Garza 35 suggested making it an"exit only," which would work with the flow of the bank. They could 36 make an exit or an entrance from the opposite side, with a"right in only"which would be safer. 37 Ericson said this last idea would almost demand a signal. 38 39 Zonine 40 41 Ericson remarked that zoning is questionable as to whether this is allowed in 0-1; his preference 42 is to make it all C-2C, to keep it clean. If IRBs are done,the fewer questions existing about the 43 issue, the better it is for the bonds. The PRC would probably concur with this. Kyle said that 44 since this is private ownership, a C-2 would probably be better. If IRBs are done, the City will 45 have legal title to it. Binns provided that if they approach it from a special use permit for the 46 facility rather than general commercial zoning, they will "have less flack from the neighborhood 47 adjacent" if the neighbors end up with a shopping mall in their backyard as a result of 48 commercial zoning. "Well that's why you make it C-2C," Ericson replied, "limited to this use." 49 Denmark said it did not matter to him as long as it goes to a public hearing. There are already 50 conditions that require landscaping and a buffer along the line adjacent to the existing 51 neighborhood. Kyle said a special use permit opens up a developer to more scrutiny by the 52 Commission. Ericson provided a hypothetical: if the Planning and Zoning Commission denies a 53 special use permit, they will have to appeal to City Council; zoning goes as a matter of course. 54 55 In conclusion, Denmark said Binns needs to consider the options --the SUP or the conditional 56 zoning -- and then contact Planning staff to see how to proceed and to view the pros and cons of 57 each option. Denmark said he would get back with him after consulting staff. 58 3 1 Misc. 2 3 Binns asserted that communication needs to be very open on this project and that he will need 4 assistance from Rollie Wright's department and from the CVB (Convention and Visitor's 5 Bureau)regarding traffic movements. Rollie requested that, prior to finishing the footprint, the 6 circulation system, and some interior issues, his department could give suggestions to Binns 7 about the entering and exiting of buses, turnaround space, logistics of deliveries, partitioning of 8 the 35,000 square feet, and even what banquet furniture will be best in the long run. 9 Binns reported that their next step is to work on more details of the footprint. He and his 10 associated have visited several facilities to observe what works and what doesn't. 11 12 2. Four Hills Subdivision Replat No. 7 13 14 Issues: Whether or not this case proceeds to P&Z this month and what conditions are present 15 related to utilities. 16 17 Overview 18 19 Ted Scanlon reported they are in the process of platting and they are looking at options for 20 getting sewer out. He said they will have to meet with property owners there to try to get an 21 easement to get across the property and tie into an existing sewer line. 22 23 The property is being subdivided because there are covenants on the property that require no 24 more than 4 dwelling units per tract. It is approximately 1.2 acres and it's zoned R-3 or R-4. 25 The company is proposing to put 8 units on there, and in order to do that, they must comply with 26 the covenants. The reason for subdividing at this point is, according to Scanlon, to get the 27 process moving forward and get the lot lines defined so the site can be laid out. 28 29 Utilities 30 31 Jorge Garcia wants Mr. Scanlon to meet with Utilities to discuss the options of what can be done. 32 This must occur before the plan can be approved. Garcia wants this to be addressed as early in 33 the process as possible. 34 35 Members agreed this plan does not need to return to DRC once the issue is resolved with 36 Utilities. 37 38 3. Alameda Acres Replat(pre-aplication) 39 40 Ericson's concern was to ensure that right-of-way was okay on Spitz and that Spitz is dedicated. 41 Scanlon responded that 70 feet of right-of-way is dedicated on Spitz Street, north, in the Country 42 Club Estates. This concern can be addressed through the process, so if there is a problem, Robert 43 Kyle can bring it back to the DRC. 44 45 Ericson raised the question of"Is this what they really want to do to maximize the use of their 46 property?" Scanlon did not know the answer to this question. 47 48 Conclusion: If he can get it all worked out through the replat, then it's okay. If there is a 49 problem, the case should be brought back to the DRC. 50 51 4. CLC Flood Control Project(CLC) 52 53 Utility easements need to be shown. 54 55 Denmark stated the uses should be broad so that the project is not limited. 56 57 This project will not go to P&Z until the new subdivision code is approved. 58 4 1 5. Lenox Place Subdivision Preliminary Plat (DL Engineering) 2 3 This case was presented to ensure all utility and drainage issues are addressed and to obtain a 4 recommendation. 5 6 In the agreement,the developer will build to a certain point and the City will build the rest. DRC 7 must approve his plans, and if there is a channel in the roadway, the plan will not be approved, 8 9 The developer has called for a pipe culvert. [In the conversation from here for the next few 10 minutes, it's difficult to discern if anything really significant was discussed. The conversation 11 was hard to follow. You may want to listen to it. 453 - 470.] 12 13 The City wants the easement at the north end of the property dedicated. There is a question of if 14 the City can issue vacation on it. 15 16 Vince Sanchez said they want the gas line issue resolved before final plat because if it just clips 17 the corner of the lot,they might as well just give the City an easement and thus not have to 18 relocate the whole line. If it runs deep, then it will probably have to be relocated. 19 20 The City wants the drainage channel at the north end piped across the property. 21 22 Issues: 23 0 The gas line -- The City wants it dedicated. 24 0 There needs to be an acknowledgement that there is a problem with that ? (court, 500) 25 here with the utility easement. They need to be notified of this. Also, they need to 26 acknowledge who will mend the problem. 27 6 Denmark recommended that Kyle tell Dan this must be resolved by a certain deadline; if 28 not, a postponement will be recommended. Kyle said he would advertise it and he named 29 Friday as the possible deadline. If there is no response from Dan by then, it will be 30 postponed. Otherwise, if the committee moves forward, there will be final staff review 31 and approval as far as conditions. 32 Denmark stressed that they get utility and drainage logistics resolved now, e.g. who is 33 doing what. 34 35 36 V. ADJOURNMENT 37 38 Meeting adjourned at 9:50 AM. 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 5 WFAERNr C�MT °oo LTJ QIJ��CJ C� DEVELOPMENT REVIEW COMMITTEE AGENDA FOR August 11, 1999 The City of Las Cruces Development Review Committee will consider the following agenda at a meeting to be held Wednesday, August 11, 1999 at 9:00 a.m. in the City Council Chambers, City Hall, 200 N. Church, Las Cruces, NM. I. CALL TO ORDER II. CASE INTRODUCTION 1. Lenox Place Subdivision Preliminary Plat (DL Engineering) \/2. Four Hills Subdivision Replat No. 7 (Scanlon White) 3 �3. Alameda Acres Replat (pre-application) V)4. CLC Flood Control Project III. OTHER ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION IV. OTHER CASES/ISSUES MAY BE DISCUSSED THAT HAVE NOT BEEN LISTED ON THIS AGENDA (AS NEEDED) V. ADJOURNMENT The City of Las Cruces does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in the provision of services. The City of Las Cruces will makereasonable accommodation for a qualified individual with a disability who wishes to attend this public meeting. Please notify the City Planning Department at least 48 hours before the meeting by calling 528-3222 (Voice) or 528-3157 (TTY). This document can be made available n alternative formats by calling the same numbers listed above. AN EOUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER P.O. Box 20000 LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO 88004-9002 Phone(505)541-2000 DEVELOPMENT REVIEW COMMITTEE August 11, 1999 ATTENDANCESHEET Please print. Name Organization (if any) Lc F 0 V � } (% ev-2Sc,- v��oS ;� 1zl T/2- DEVELOPMENT REVIEW COMMITTEE (DRC) MEETING August 11, 1999 City Council Chambers ATTENDANCESHEET * Please initial next to your name. Members: Critt Coburn (Fire) / Brian Denmark(PLNG) Jim Ericson(DSD) � Jorge Garcia(JU) 11 / Robert Garza(CLC Engineering) 4/ Rollie Wright(Comm. Services Adm.) v Staff Present: Sheri Anderson (PLNG) Les Coffman (Utilities) ' Paul Dugie (ENG) _ Glenn Frost(ENG) — / Mike Johnson (Traffic Operations)t/ Robert Kyle (PLNG) V Vince Sanchez(JU) 1/ Dan Soriano (PLNG)