Loading...
05-03-2007 I METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION 2 TECHNICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE (TAC) MEETING 3 MAY 3, 2007 4 5 Following are minutes from the MPO Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meeting held 6 on Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 4:00 p.m. at the Dona Ana County Government Complex, 7 Commission Chambers, 845 N. Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico. 8 9 MEMBERS PRESENT: Mike Bartholomew (RoadRUNNER Transit) 10 Frank Guzman (NMDOT) 11 Orlando V. Fierro (DAC Flood Commission) 12 Dan Soriano (CLC Public Works) 13 Tim Sanders (BLM) 14 Jon Czerniak (Dona Ana County) 15 John Knopp (Town of Mesilla) 16 Terry Coker (Las Cruces Public Schools) 17 Loretta Reyes (CLC Public Works) 18 19 MEMBERS ABSENT: Henry Magallenez (EBID) 20 Richard MacRorie (NMSU) 21 Debbie Lujan (Town of Mesilla 22 Robert Armijo (DAC Engineering) 23 24 STAFF PRESENT: Tom Murphy (Las Cruces MPO) 25 Andy Hume (Las Cruces MPO) 26 Caerllion Thomas (Las Cruces MPO) 27 Dianne Wax (CLC— Recording Secretary) 28 Cathy Duarte (CLC— Public Works) 29 30 OTHERS PRESENT: Joseph de La Rosa 31 32 33 34 I. CALL TO ORDER 35 36 Meeting was called to order at 4:05 p.m. 37 38 II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES —April 5, 2007 39 40 Mike Bartholomew stated he would entertain a motion to approve the minutes of April 5, 41 2007. 42 Jon Czerniak motioned to approve the minutes. 43 Terry Coker seconded the motion. 44 ALL IN FAVOR. 45 46 1 I III. ACTION ITEM 2 3 A. 07-08 UPWP 4 5 The purpose of the UPWP is to outline intermodal transportation planning 6 activities, within a financially constrained budget, to be conducted within the Las 7 Cruces MPO Planning Area for the period of July, 1, 2007 through June 30, 8 2008. Highlights from the latest UPWP include: continued coordination of the 9 South Central RTD; Safe Routes to School; Pedestrian Plan; and an update of 10 the Public Involvement Plan. We have listed the agencies that will be 11 instrumental in assisting us with our planning activities and approximate time 12 periods to complete work products. 13 14 The draft UPWP has been modified from the version that the TAC recommended 15 approval in March based on comments from the NMDOT Government to 16 Government unit. The changes are as follows: 17 18 Task 1.6 p. 8- Major Investment Studies has been removed as a work task. 19 20 Task 1.9 p. 8- Work on the PIP has been modified to emphasize interagency 21 coordination 22 23 Task 2.2 p. 9- A work item to review local plans for consistency with MTP has 24 been added. 25 26 Task 3.1, p. 10- The modeling work has been updated to include recent 27 developments. 28 29 Task 3.2 p. 10- The administration and planning of RTD related work has been 30 separated to better track separate funding sources. 31 32 Task 3.4, p. 11- The work tasks has been modified to include reference to 33 updating model statistics in the MPO's new planning area. 34 35 Task 3.4.4, p. 11- The LCMPO SAFETEA-LU gap analysis has been performed 36 and staff will proceed with MTP amendments by July to make the 2005 37 Transportation Plan SAFETEA-LU compliant. 38 39 Task 4.1 p. 13- This section has been updated to reflect recent developments. 40 41 Task 5.4, p. 15 — Language has been amended to clarify development of the 42 TIP's "How To" document. 43 44 Budget Table, p. 17- The budget table has been amended to include anticipated 45 revenues from the NMDOT RTD grant to assist with planning and administrative 46 costs. 2 3 I Pursuant to discussion held at the April TAC meeting. The UPWP has been 2 amended further. More detailed budget estimates were developed with each 3 work task being identified with specific staff and an estimate of resources 4 required for completing the task. 5 6 Tom Murphy gave a brief presentation. 7 8 Joseph de La Rosa, NMDOT, expressed his thanks to MPO staff for their rapid 9 response and hard work. 10 11 Frank Guzman motioned to recommend to the MPO Policy Committee. 12 Jon Czerniak seconded the motion. 13 ALL IN FAVOR. 14 15 IV. DISCUSSION ITEMS 16 17 A. SAFETEA-LU Transportation Plan Amendments 18 19 The Las Cruces adopted its 2005 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) on 20 July 13, 2005. The U.S. Congress adopted and the President signed the Safe, 21 Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act- a Legacy for Users 22 (SAFETEA-LU) on August 10, 2005. Recent FHWA guidance on the new 23 transportation bill requires that the LCMPO update its MTP to bring into 24 conformance with SAFETEA-LU. 25 26 The requirements are to adopt a specific safety and security goals, objectives, 27 and policies. Staff has proposed including in the Intermodal Element. Other 28 polices are proposed to be added to the Intermodal element to address 29 environmental mitigation activities. 30 31 A policy has been added to the Public Transportation Element specifying work on 32 the Human Services Transportation Plan. 33 34 The proposed amendments to the Thoroughfare Element will add policies that 35 require consideration of Operation and Maintenance costs as part of program 36 development. 37 38 The purpose of this agenda item is to open the public comment period required 39 by the Public Involvement Plan. Staff anticipates bringing the item back in June 40 for recommendation to the Policy Committee. 41 42 Andy Hume gave a brief presentation and discussion followed. 43 44 Tom Murphy announced that NMDOT Transit and Rail Bureau will be giving 45 presentation on the Coordinated Human Transportation Services Plan at the June TAC 46 meeting. 3 1 B. Development Review 2 3 A list along with a map of approved, and denied subdivisions was included in 4 Committee member packets for review. 5 6 Mike Bartholomew commended MPO staff for their work in providing a map of locations 7 of subdivisions. 8 9 Terry Coker expressed his appreciation because the maps of future subdivisions are 10 assisting the LCPS with current and future planning of future school sites, possible 11 redistricting and transportation issues. 12 13 Orlando Fierro suggested that LCPS contact the Flood Commission regarding arroyos 14 and flood zones in planning future school sites. 15 16 Andy asked Terry Coker if it would be possible for the planner to make a presentation at 17 one of MPO Technical Advisory Committee meeting. 18 19 Terry Coker responded that would be a good idea. 20 21 C. Committee/Staff Comments 22 23 Mike Bartholomew announced that he would not be at the June TAC meeting and he 24 has asked Frank Guzman to convene the meeting and at that time the Committee can 25 decide who will Chair the meeting. 26 27 Mike stated that an agenda item for selection of a new vice chair be placed on the July 28 agenda. 29 30 Andy suggested scheduling the TAC meetings from January to June at the DAC 31 Commission Chambers and from July to December at City Council Chambers to avoid 32 future conflicts and confusion as to location of each meeting. 33 34 In lieu of the July 4th holiday falling in the middle of the week, July's TAC meeting will be 35 held on June 28 h at 4:00 p.m. at City Council Chambers. 36 37 V. PUBLIC COMMENTS - None 38 39 40 VI. ADJOURNMENT 41 42 Meeting adjourned at 5:15 p.m. 43 44 45 46 Cha6 erson 4