Loading...
09-14-2006 joC11V Las r aces P E O P L E N E L P I N 6 P E O P L E AIRPORT ADVISORY BOARD MEETING City of Las Cruces, New Mexico September 14, 2006 Members Present: Randy Ranels, Dyne Buckley, Bill Squires, Joe Beck, Larry La Beau, Pete Brandon, Leon Billstone Others Present: Gil Jones, City Councillor; Lisa Murphy, Airport Manager; Susan Pfeiffer, Recording Secretary; Ross Palmer, pilot; Hal Kading, Southwest Aviation; Thomas Ferguson, visitor; Martin Ditmore, hangar owner; Matt Moore, URS; Karen Burt, URS; Jane Lucero, Molzen-Corbin& Associates; Doug Newton, Adventure Aviation; 1St LT Gregory T. Daviet, Joint Task Force Zia. Chair Randy Ranels called the meeting to order at 12:00 noon in the Airport Conference Room, and a quorum was noted. MINUTES: The first order of business was to approve the minutes of the August 10, 2006 Board meeting. Mr. Beck moved, seconded by Mr. Buckley, to approve the minutes as submitted; motion carried unanimously. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Mr. Beck introduced 1St LT Gregory Daviet of Joint Task Force Zia. LT Daviet stated that he is representing the Joint Task Force Zia who is working the southwest border mission with Homeland Security and the Border Patrol. He said that he was asked by Mr. Beck to attend today's meeting to see if there is any coordination that he can help facilitate between the Airport and the Joint Task Force. Karen Burt and Matt Moore with URS introduced themselves and stated that URS was one of the Airport's Consulting Engineering firms and is working on the east end taxiway extension project. PRESENTATION: Ms. Jane Lucero from Molzen-Corbin & Associates stated that they would be working with Coffinan Associates to prepare the Airport's Action Plan, and explained the difference between an Action Plan and a Master Plan. She said that the Plan would take 8 months to prepare and the purpose of it is to make recommendations of what needs to be done at the Las Cruces Airport. In her presentation Ms. Lucero stated that the Action Plan looks at immediate needs and development, and that the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) is a significant component of the Action Plan. She said that the Plan would also contain: inventory of existing conditions, aviation forecasts, facility requirements, development alternatives, financial plan — CIP, and the Airport Layout Plan. Ms. Lucero stated that Mrs. Murphy had AIRPORT ADVISORY BOARD MEETING MINUTES—SEPTEMBER 14,2006 Page 2 forwarded the Board's committee report on the Action Plan to her. There was a brief question and answer period. Ms. Lucero said that she would send monthly progress reports to the Board. UNFINISHED BUSINESS: None. REPORTS: Airport Manager's Report: Mrs. Murphy's report is included as a part of the Minutes. In addition to the written report, the following items were mentioned. Mrs. Murphy report that Mr. Kading called her at night to let her know that water was running across Runway 8-26 and that it had to be closed. She stated they issued a NOTAM closing the runway and the Airport Maintenance Staff cleared it this morning and re-opened it. Mrs. Murphy stated they will have to determine which drains were clogged or blocked to cause the flooding and have the drains cleared. Mr. Squires reported that he spoke with the City Land Manager and was told that they will be taking the annexation to City Council on December 1, 2006 for approval. Mrs. Murphy stated that she has asked the ETZ Zoning Commission to send her a copy of all requests for zoning changes west of the Rio Grande for her review and comment. Ms. Burt with URS announced that they have been working on the estimate to extend the east end taxiway, and that the rough estimate so far is $200,000. Committee Reports: Action Plan: Councillor Jones stated that he would like for the Action Plan Committee to have another meeting to finalize their report, and that they would submit it to the Board before sending it to Molzen-Corbin. The Board agreed that the Committee could e-mail it directly to Molzen-Corbin when it was completed, and just submit to the Board at their next meeting. Marketing Committee: Mr. Brandon stated that he would ask Ms. Ochs, City Economic Development Administrator, to ask MVEDA if they would send a representative to attend future Airport Advisory Board meetings. Mr. Billstone suggested that the committee let Ms. Ochs be the driving force of the committee, and the Board more just as an observer. NEW BUSINESS: None. DISCUSSION ITEMS: Mr. La Beau asked if the minutes to the meetings could be sent out earlier to the Board members for their review, and so that they could make recommendations for the next Agenda. Mrs. Pfeiffer stated that it would not be a problem to send them to the Board members as soon as they were completed for their review. Ark AIRPORT ADVISORY BOARD MEETING MINUTES—SEPTEMBER 14,2006 Page 3 Mr. Billstone thanked Mrs. Murphy on behalf of the EAA for the lock on the east gate for the EAA breakfasts. There was a brief discussion on X Prize regarding the need for volunteers and whether provisions were made for the overtime for airport staff. Mrs. Murphy commented she had made provisions for staff overtime, and that they had learned a lot for last year's event, and that they were getting more help from other departments in the way of personnel and equipment. Mrs. Murphy reported that the business sign for the airport is being made and that it will have an attractive stone base, but because of the size of it we are working with the welding shop in terms of mounting it. She stated that she was hoping that it would be installed before the next Board meeting. Mr. Billstone mentioned that it was nice that Bixby Electric was putting up pole lights at the intersection so that it wouldn't be so dark driving in at night. PUBLIC COMMENT: Mr. Ditmore asked if one of the alternatives on the Action Plan would be the extension of Runway 8-26 instead of Runway 12-30. Ms. Lucero stated that would be one of the things they would be looking into. With no further business to conduct, it was moved, seconded, and passed to adjourn the meeting at 1:14 PM. Chair Recording S et Airport Manager's Report September 14,2006 2006/07 Airport Improvement Projects: A purchase order for the ARFF vehicle has been issued and I will attend the pre-construction meeting with Bixby Electric for the Navigational Aid and Signage project on Friday in Albuquerque. Compass Rose: FAA Inspector Bill Mitchell is requiring intermediate striping on the run-up pad so an alternate location for the compass rose may be needed. Once the striping plan is finalized I will be able to determine if we can leave it where it is planned to go. Signage: The sign is almost complete. Airport staff will be constructing an attractive stone base to mount it on. West End Infrastructure: The project is almost complete but some remedial drainage work will need to be done near the new taxiway connector. X Prize: X Prize staff members held a tenant informational meeting on Friday, September 8. It was well attended. They discussed their layout plan, event timeline and impact to the airport. The event will last two days and they plan to use a larger ramp area than they used last year. As of right now,the airport will be closed only for the duration of the show, with two "windows" each day during which time aircraft will be allowed in and out. Access to the airport by tenants will be allowed, but get with Susan or me to ensure that your name is on the list that the police will have at the checkpoint. Rocket Racing League: No additional information at this time. UAV Operations: UAV operations have moved to China Lake, California for the month of September. They plan to be back at LRU in October. Airport Action Plan: Kickoff presentation will be at the September Board meeting. Airport Zoning: I met with Land Management and Community Development to ensure that the airport's interests are protected when the City annexes land in this vicinity. They were very receptive to my concerns. Picacho Mountain Development: I was given the opportunity to comment on a proposed zone change and master plan for the Picacho Mountain development, part of which actually abuts airport property. The developer will comply with the provisions of the Airport Operational zone, which requires disclosure and an avigation easement to allow aircraft to fly over the area. Airport Manager's Meeting: I will be attending the New Mexico Airport Manager's Association meeting in Albuquerque on September 15. Hangar Development: We have had several inquiries from people who are interested in building hangars at the airport. Lease applications and information have been provided to them. NMSU Football Charters: Charter flights for NMSU football games will be flying into LRU starting in October. Airport and Fire Department staff will be on hand as per Part 139 requirements. FAA Visit: Mike Saupp and Ron Hess of FAA visited last Wednesday the 6`h to inspect the condition of the apron pavements. There is concern that the pavement was damaged as a result of tent stakes from last year's X Prize event. TAF (Terminal Aerodrome Forecast): The TAF for Las Cruces will start October 3rd at 1200 zulu time. This will be the website for viewing the TAF for Las Cruces http: //adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/tafs/java/. Trash Can Removal: The three (3) trash cans that were located by the west end T- Hangars were removed and replaced with a dumpster that should make it more convenient for the tenants to dispose of trash.