Loading...
03-17-151 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 MESILLA VALLEY METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN FACILITIES ADVISORY COMMITTEE The following are minutes for the meeting of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities Advisory Committee of the Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) which was held March 17, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. in Commission Chambers at Dona Ana County Government Building, 845 Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico. MEMBERS PRESENT: George Pearson, Chair (City of Las Cruces Citizen Rep) Scott Farnham (City of Las Cruces Rep) David Shearer (NMSU - Environmental Safety) Jolene Herrera (NMDOT Rep) Ashleigh Curry (Town of Mesilla Citizen) Albert Casillas (DAC Rep) MEMBERS ABSENT: Leslie Kryder, Vice Chair (Bicycle Community Rep) Mark Leisher (DAC Citizen Rep) Karen Rishel (Bicycling Community Bicycle Rep) Carlos Coontz (Pedestrian Committee Rep) STAFF PRESENT: Tom Murphy (MPO) Andrew Wray (MPO) Michael McAdams (MPO) Sharon Nebbia (MPO) PUBLIC PRESENT: Derrick Pacheco OTHERS PRESENT: Becky Baum, Recording Secretary, RC Creations, LLC 1. CALL TO ORDER Pearson: It's 5:05. I'll call to order the Bicycle Pedestrian Facilities Advisory Committee of the Mesilla Valley MPO. 2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA Pearson: We have approval of the agenda. Any comments or changes for the agenda? Murphy: None from staff. Pearson: Hearing none, I'll hear a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Shearer: I move to approve the agenda as presented. Curry: I'll second. 2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: We have a motion and a second. All in order, "aye." Any opposed? That's approved. MOTION IS APPROVED UNANIMOUSLY 3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES 3.1 January 20, 2015 Pearson: So next is approval of the minutes. Any comments on the minutes? Murphy: Staff received a couple of corrections on, on membership listings from Ms. Curry. We can go ahead and make those administrative, Albert being a, a DAC rep not a citizen's rep and Ashleigh being a Town of Mesilla citizen not Town of Mesilla staff but we can change that administratively. Pearson: Okay. So any further comments on the minutes? So hear a motion to approve the minutes with the administrative changes? Shearer: (inaudible) action items (inaudible) Pearson. So your question is if we have action items in the agenda? Well anything that's on the agenda has to be published ahead of time so if any action items would have to be on the agenda already and the only action item is the approval of the minutes. So any other, motion to approve the minutes? Herrera: So moved. Shearer: Second. Pearson: I have a motion and a second to accept the minutes. All in favor "aye." Any opposed? So the minutes are approved. MOTION IS APPROVED UNANIMOUSLY. 4. PUBLIC COMMENT Pearson: Next we have public comment. This is one of two opportunities for the public to comment. Anybody from the public wish to make a comment to us? If you can go up to the, or, yeah, you can just go to this chair so we're on, have a microphone. Give us your name and whatever you wish. Pacheco: Hello. My name is Dereck Pacheco. I'm checking in from Phoenix, Arizona. I'm a guest today, just invited by I think it was Andy at the City. 3 I So the reason I'm here exploring Las Cruces today is because I'm pretty 2 fed up with the way that Phoenix is looking as far as bicycle transportation 3 initiatives. I'm really impressed with cities such as Long Beach. I don't 4 know what New Mexico's doing for bicycling right now but I'd like to get in 5 on the ground floor as a bicycle shop owner myself. I have a lot of 6 interesting forward -thinking ideas on how to deploy rapid transportation 7 initiatives. I'd like to speak with anyone that is interested in doing similar 8 projects in the valley here and I will be back. 9 10 Pearson: Okay. Thank you. Anyone else? 11 12 5. DISCUSSION ITEMS 13 14 5.1 Metropolitan Transportation Plan Update 15 16 Pearson: Okay. Hearing no more, we'll go on to our discussion items. So the 5.1, 17 MPO Plan Update. 18 19 Tom Murphy gave his presentation. 20 21 Pearson: You mentioned no expansion of the roadway system but there still might 22 be some individual things happening, Missouri extension, Baylor Canyon, 23 things like that. Those aren't really covered by the plan but will still 24 happen. 25 26 Murphy: That's correct. I'll, I'll, I'll speak to each of those. It, I think I, hope I said 27 nearly no, no expansion. Where we, where we proposed that there's new 28 lane mileage or, or in, or in this effect, you know lane footage of new 29 roadways it's to provide better connectivity to existing uses. I think 30 Missouri satisfies that and with the existence of Centennial High School, 31 that and we're, you know it's actually not a foregone conclusion that we're 32 going to recommend going forward with that. We have Bohannan Huston 33 on contract to do a, a study for that corridor. There are a couple others 34 north, northeast of US-70 and 1-25. There's a short quarter -mile segment 35 of Engler and Arroyo crossing for Roadrunner Parkway that we would 36 propose those get constructed but again they're, you know under a 37 quarter of a mile in length and they provide connections to existing 38 communities. So those would be the instances where we do call for, for 39 new asphalt. In a case like Baylor Canyon Road, that's an existing right- 40 of -way that's good, you know and I, and I think as we learned a couple of 41 meetings ago that it's being, or actually we learned it at the Technical 42 Advisory Committee that it's being paved to local road, minor local 43 standard so it's not, it's not going to be a thoroughfare in the sense that, 44 you know that the MPO would be interested in, in tracking it. 45 46 Pearson: Anyone else have questions, comments? 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Curry: I think my question, it'd probably be answered if I read it but does it consider projects that are already underway or is it just a plan for future projects? If, if projects are already sort of in progress, is it included in here? Murphy: It mostly includes projects, or future projects so things that are being constructed right now not, not necessarily going, going to show up. I think we have, we have projects listed on it that are expected to let next year in 2016. An example is the Valley project that NMDOT is working on. We, we have it mentioned in the table on this and it shows on one of our maps. Curry: Okay. Murphy: But anything that's currently under construction like the Missouri bridge ... Curry: So for example ... Murphy: We're not, we're not showing. Curry: Soledad Canyon. Is that a, is that a future or is that a current? Murphy: It's a current project. Curry: Okay. Okay. All right. Super. Thank you. Pearson: So you mentioned Valley Drive. That would be the State portion. The City portion also needs some work at some point. Is that going, is that part of this or, I'm not even sure that that's on the City Capital Improvement Plan yet. Murphy: I, 1 don't recall if that's on there and that would, if it's not that would be an excellent comment to, to make to, to add to this before we go through ultimate adoption. For some reason it, it, I don't recall seeing it in any of our tables so please, please let us know projects that we need to put on. Pearson: Okay. Herrera: Mr. Chair. Just one clarification on page 67, there's a list of projects on here; US-70/North Main bridge widening, I just want to make sure that that's the bridge that's sort of, what direction is that, west of Elks. Murphy: That's correct. Herrera: That, okay. 5 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Murphy: That is the bridge west of Elks that crosses over the outfall channel but it's identified as not, not having current funding. Herrera: Right. I just want to make sure that that's the actual bridge that we're talking about there. Thank you. Pearson: Okay. Another one that I've, recently come to my attention that may fit on this, on Main Street from Avenida de Mesilla to Boutz south -bound there's no shoulder area and I've been told that that might be a right-of-way issue with the, the railway there but that would be some, something to look at, maybe we can get some safety funding or something. There's just no room, there's no shoulder there so as a bicyclist you are in the roadway. Murphy: We can certainly look into that and add that to, to this list. The, the, and just to, for the record page 67 is the illustrated list. It's the list of projects that are needed not, not have identified funding on it. We will vet it again through this Committee and the Technical Advisory Committee and the Policy Committee will approve it. The meaning of this list is federal regulations allow us to establish a list of priorities that are not yet funded that we can then, then pursue, pursue some funding with a note that anything if, if we were to acquire some sort of funding it would require a Transportation Plan Amendment over the next five years but it's important to get it onto this list. Pearson: What about University from Main to NM-28? That's one of the, that's the corridor that the, the study had planned. Murphy: Right. We have a, we have a study on that and I'm pretty sure ... Pearson: Is that someplace else? Herrera: It's on, the study is done on the very last page, all the way ... Murphy: Right, bottom, yeah, thank, thank you, Jolene. Herrera: (inaudible) Pearson: So those are identified as projects that need to happen. Murphy: Right and we hope to, hope to ... Pearson: Okay. So that's Murphy: Improve upon our cost estimates and ... Pearson: Like is it a higher level of importance than this other list perhaps, 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Murphy: That's correct. That'll, that'll be included once we, once we conclude the study that we have Bohannan Huston contracted for. Herrera: And, Mr. Chair if I could just jump in real quick on that particular project, I think I would call it more than (inaudible) pedestrian projects because we're looking at traffic flow kind of as well or (inaudible) ... Pearson: It should be multimodal improvements probably too because that's, that was identified long ago as a location for a bicycle facility. Curry: Or a multiuse path. Pearson: Or something, yeah, and Herrera: For bicycles and pedestrians. Pearson: Something to help bicyclists and pedestrians because of the Zia, Zia Middle School's there. That's, I think we're all probably well aware of the problems there. Shearer: So these are projects that are likely to be addressed or expected to be addressed in 2016 to 2020? Murphy: On, on page 77, yes. Shearer: Just they're not necessarily funded yet. Murphy: Not necessarily. Herrera: Some of these are. Murphy: Some of them are, are funded. They are ... Herrera: Three are. Murphy: Included on the Transportation Improvement Program. Herrera: I don't see the big University (inaudible). Murphy: That's third, third from the bottom. I probably need to work on the, the listing for it but ... Herrera: Oh, okay. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Murphy: If you, yeah if you look over under the description it kind of carries in the I- 25 ramps and ... Pearson: The flow on the campus is the, the connection under University. Murphy: And I think I was waiting on the, the cost estimate from you. Herrera: It's 25 million. Curry: Is that the one, is that plan to have the Triviz Trail go under so ... Herrera: The whole road will go under. We're also going to be reconstructing University which is ... Curry: Oh, so the whole of Triviz will, will go under University. Herrera: Yes. Curry: Okay. Including a bicycle ... Shearer: Looks like Triviz goes under Lomador or Lohman I guess it is at that point. Farnham: This is, this is an issue right, this is, and that's the expected cost. Herrera: Yes. Farnham: Might be other remedies or no funding at all. Herrera: No, there is funding. The, the district, District 1 has committed $25 million to construct that project. Farnham: Oh, yeah. Herrera: In 2019, 2018, yeah. Let me double-check that. Pearson: So the signal lights at Amador and Melendres, would that be on this someplace? Cause that's, that's been ... Curry: Where the pedestrian was hit? Murphy: That is being done with local funds. We could in, we could include it as a regionally significant but I, you know since it is local funds then we're not required to. Wray: Think it's on the illustrated list. a 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Murphy: And ... Herrera; I think that was the (inaudible) list. Murphy: And it might be on the, and Andrew says it might be on the page 67 list. Wray: Mr. Chair. Actually it's, I see a reference to Melendres as being a potential bike boulevard so that must have been what tripped my memory about Melendres so it's not, not elaborated on. Pearson: Yeah, I just called, City's asking for State funding for that, or State assistance I believe cause ... Herrera: They what? A traffic signal? Pearson: Yeah. I thought there was a, like a map project that they were going to look at or, I don't recall now. Or maybe they're just looking at legislative funds. Herrera: Could be, I'm just not sure. I'm just ... Pearson: Seems like it got ramped up to a higher level than it has been in the past like the ... Farnham: We could have the Pearson: Like funding's in sight but not secure. Murphy: Well the City's, the City's not notified us in total of what they're expecting to do. Pearson: But that also does bring up the issue of safety on Picacho at about Melendres where we had the pedestrian incident. That probably is not part of this plan though, but that's something that maybe we can talk about at some other point. Curry: Where the tennis courts are on Picacho? Murphy: Yeah. Shearer: From there and towards Main, Main Street it's really tight. Pearson: Yeah, that's a 25 mile an hour zone but I guess that doesn't get respected. Shearer: Nobody, everybody's going (inaudible). g 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Herrera: Mr. Chair. Pearson: Yes. Herrera: Tom can I ask, and I'm sure I haven't (inaudible) yet so I'm sure these questions will be answered but where are the performance measures? Murphy: We're going through performance measures beginning of chapter 4. Herrera: Oh. Right in the table of contents. Got it. Pearson: Also without having read it does that include traffic counts, especially multimodal? Murphy: I, 1 think we, within this we've laid out a, a goal for how we're going to address the, address the performance measures. I think as, as we move along and I envision an annual report on all, all sorts of measures but with the, you know as we develop ... Pearson: It's included in the summary here so ... Murphy: Right, right. We need to pay particular mind to things that, that; 1) we can measure and 2) give us useful information, so I think we're, after, after we adopt this plan, I hate to sound like Congress, we'll, we'll find more out about what we'll, we'll be vetting the performance measures a lot more. I mean we're going to, we want to find measures that really mean something to this region. Herrera: Mr. Chair, Tom, one more question. Has any of this been sent to Claude or have you coordinated any of your performance measures or population forecasting, any of that kind of stuff with Claude at the State? Murphy: We've, we've worked with, with Claude, El Paso MPO, South Central Council of Governments on developing the population numbers, and we also sent him this list of performance measures. Herrera: Okay. Great. Thanks. Pearson: I did see a reference to the State Long -Range Multimodal Plan and State Safety plan, and those are still in process. They're coming together soon so probably about the same time frame as this plan is coming together. Murphy: We've been at many of each others' own meetings. That's one of Jolene's major roles. The problem with having due dates very close and concurrent, we must write our plan, they must write their plan and ... 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Pearson: And hope that they're close enough. Murphy: We know, we know that they're close enough but we can't quote Pearson: Can't reference each other. Murphy: We can't quote them. Pearson: Okay. Herrera: Yeah and just so you all know that, that coordination has been happening. I just wanted I guess you to tell everyone here that that coordination has been happening so ... Pearson: Any further comments, discussion on this item? Herrera: Mr. Chair, one other question. How would you like to receive comments, Tom; e-mail or written or what would you prefer? Murphy: We would, we would like e-mail comments. Herrera: Okay_ Murphy: You can send them to any MPO staff directly, can use the mpo@las- cruces.org general e-mail address, or you can, or next Committee meeting you can you know hand us written comments as well. Herrera: Okay. Thanks, Shearer: Comments by what end date? Murphy: We have not set, I haven't, haven't looked at the calendar to do the end date. We have the Technical Advisory Committee meeting on the first Thursday of April and the comment deadline will be 45 days from that date so it'll be some point mid -May. Pearson: So our next, next scheduled meeting, the April one may not happen if we don't have a TIP but the May one would be within that range for us. Murphy: Right. And if you like we could, we could have an April meeting here just to go over, over this plan as well. I guess, I think, and probably we should. It's that important. Pearson: Okay. M 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Wray: Mr. Chair, I do want to jump in here and, mainly for Jolene's benefit since she's here. On page 69 we are still waiting for some financial numbers from Claude that we have not gotten yet so if you could use your influence to, thank you. Herrera: Will do. Murphy: And then I guess as a, as a closing note if you want to look at the color version Andrew will be, have this document on, up on the website along with the maps in the next few days for the, you, you can download them, look them, look at them on your screen. Pearson: And once you have them available you can just send us, the Committee an e-mail that points to that. Murphy: It's too big to e-mail. Pearson: No. I mean the, the pointer. Murphy: Oh. Yes. Absolutely. 5.2 Short Range Transit Plan Update Pearson: Okay. I guess we're ready to move on to the next, 5.2 Short Range Transit Plan update. Michael McAdams gave his presentation. Pearson: Okay. Can I ask McAdams: Yes. Pearson: How this plan fits in with other plans that exist, or ... McAdams: Yes. If you noticed that the long range plan referenced the short range transit plan, we're required at intervals to, to update our plan and so the short range plan is mainly for, for incremental changes, not big changes you know so these will, the recommendations will have, and you can recommend too of course, that's why you're here, we can do it very gradually. So this is not a one-time deal. Michael McAdams continued his presentation. Pacheco: Would the turtle cost money or would this be free service? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 McAdams: It would, I, 1 think that, the turtle I'm not sure. We have to check about that. I think it would be establish ... Pearson: Would you restate the question for the record? McAdams: The question was "Would this be a free service for city residents or anybody in, using the bike system?" Speaking a little bit off the cuff, I think that it would be available as a service that the City provides. Pacheco: You said that McAdams: The bike locker is, is, is a, is a rental. Yeah. Oh, sorry. I'm bad. Pacheco: Did, did you also mention that that has to be a USA manufacture? McAdams: Oh, it doesn't have to be. It could be, actually the, the, the bike lids are from anywhere I think but I, as you, as you know it's generally encouraged federal contracts and ... Pacheco: What I've noticed in, in the major cities is it's all going to China. McAdams: Yeah. Pacheco: And you mentioned that these are not innovative ideas. I don't want to see non -innovative ideas. I want to see New Mexico have the most innovative ideas. These are Chinese bikes. If we're going to do bike share or bike libraries, you mentioned Boulder for the bike share. McAdams: Right. Pacheco: How about going a little further to Ft. Collins and looking at their bicycle library, lending library? No cost to citizens. McAdams: Oh yeah. Pacheco: This is a lot of fluff that gets real expensive really fast. McAdams: It, well this is just, again this is a, idea to spur discussion and these would be great ideas. I agree. If we could do it for free, in fact it should be free you know to a certain degree and many, there's many people just abandon bikes. Why couldn't we use those too so I'm, I'm, we're not saying these are the best or, this just, it's just a idea and to have other type of discussion too. Pacheco: Absolutely and 13 I McAdams: And I think that you're right. We want to be the best. We can't help that 1 2 think it's been shipped to China that's, I can't, I can't ... 3 4 Pacheco: We can, we can help that though if we bring back manufacturing ... 5 6 McAdams: Oh I agree. 7 8 Pacheco. To a local level we could be manufacturing these bicycles and putting New 9 Mexicans back to work ... 10 11 Pearson: Put a hold, let the presentation go on and then the questions 12 13 Pacheco: Absolutely. 14 15 McAdams: I agree with you entirely. 16 17 Pacheco: He did offer. 18 19 McAdams: This is just to introduce, I think that we're not ... 20 21 Pacheco: I didn't mean to shut you out. 22 23 McAdams: No, no, no. We, this is, these are good issues and again this is just for 24 discussion and this could go anywhere right. 25 26 Michael McAdams continued his presentation. 27 28 Pacheco: But also it ... 29 30 Pearson: I'll hold questions till afterwards. 31 32 McAdams: Okay. 33 34 Pacheco: He invited questions earlier. I was just ... 35 36 McAdams: Okay. 37 38 Pearson: I'm going to hold public comment until after we're done with our 39 discussion. 40 41 McAdams: Oh, okay. You want to see the, the map I guess. 42 43 Pearson: Yeah. 44 45 McAdams: Can we, can we, discussion or, I'll get it. 46 14 Pearson: Okay, so you're looking, Transit's looking at redoing the routes then, that's 2 part of this plan? 3 4 McAdams: (inaudible) 5 6 Murphy: Mr. Chair, yes it, the MPO and Roadrunner Transit are, we've 7 commissioned a study to, to look at the, or, yeah adjusting the Roadrunner 8 routes. 9 10 Pearson: Okay, so that's what part of this is, is part of, yeah. 11 12 Murphy: Yeah. Part of, part of that's to give you the briefing on, on the work that's 13 taking place on that and we're working closely with the Transit Advisory 14 Board on the actual routes themselves. Where we thought it would 15 intersect this committee was the, the idea of implementing the, the bike 16 and ride kind of to you know, you know extend both the transit and, and 17 cycling as very useful means of transportation. And ... 18 19 Pearson: (inaudible) 20 21 Murphy: That's, that's correct and, and just to reiterate the orange circles on the, 22 the map that's closest to you represent areas that we would, we would 23 propose you know the general areas where we'd propose these bike 24 stations. The idea of people coming from very remote areas come in, 25 have a safe place to store their, their bicycle and be able to take, take 26 transit the rest of the way into the center of the city or the university. And 27 the blue circles represent where we would have bike sharing programs 28 and so that was, they could you know leave their bike remotely, come in, 29 finish their, finish their trip on another one. The importance on it really, 30 really stems from, we are limited safety reasons on how many, how many 31 bike racks we can place on the bus so we figured if we give more options 32 to, to bicycle riders that we can one, you know in, increase the range that 33 they can travel and two, just provide more transportation options. 34 35 Pacheco- A quick question. Based on the bus transit issue, what is the current 36 regulation for taking bikes onto the bus if the bike racks are full? 37 38 Murphy: The, the current regulation is they are not allowed on the, on the bus 39 because there's no way to secure it within them and if, and should there 40 be a, a crash or other kind of incident you have a very heavy projectile 41 within the bus. 42 43 Pacheco: I've been stranded, last bus of the route and the bike racks are full and 44 then I have to bike all the way to the next town. Are we forward, are we 45 actively thinking of, of new measures to maybe increase ridership and 46 participation by alleviating some of these concerns? 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Murphy: And that, that has happened to me as well and I think that's one of the things is, you know you, you, you know you can have a bicycle on both ends of your transit trip and ... Pacheco: What if I'm a bicycle owner and I don't want to ride the bike? Murphy: Then, then you lock your bicycle in a locker. Pacheco: How am I going to get home? Murphy: I don't want to do this back and forth but I know people can have two bicycles, one on each end if that's what they want to do. They're in, I mean, you know there's, there's many ways to go about it. Pearson: One of the comments was the students, university level participation seems to be lower. I remember that there was some initiative to allow NMSU students free access to the buses and then Student Union would perhaps subsidize that. Has that happened, will that happen? Murphy: We're continuing, continuing those discussions. This academic year the, the Associated Student Body for NMSU has chosen that they would, they would buy, purchase passes and then, and then give them to their membership upon request. Pearson: Okay. Pacheco: That's not an active program yet? Murphy: Restate the question, Mr. Pacheco. Pacheco: That's not an active program that's advertized yet? Students don't have subsidized cards? It seems like a no-brainer, easy one to get ridership up. Also I'd like to know the frequency of the late buses. Is this harming student travel? They won't use the bus if they can't get to class on time. Murphy: Mr. Chair, Mr. Pacheco? Pacheco: Yes, sir. Murphy: Yeah. You know these are all, all things that we hear about. One of the primary concerns is to run the routes later in the day. That's you know right now that's a, a funding constraint. The City is running as, as much service as, as, as we can with the resources that we've, we've devoted towards that. 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pacheco: I noticed that the highest ridership is to Wal-Mart stores. Any thoughts on privately working with Wal-Mart on the, improving the transit line? Murphy: We do try engage with some of the private sector as far as, as notably getting employee passes. We've, I think we've had discussions with Wal- Mart. We've had discussions with the call centers. I am not sure on an operational basis how many, either any particular business has purchased bus passes though. Pacheco: And also if that discussion's on the table is a similar discussion available on maybe bringing some ridership away from Wal-Mart, i.e. China goods and maybe bringing it back into the old, the old neighborhoods. Pearson: Well I think that kind of exceeds what we're talking about here. On the, okay the student access, Roadrunner Transit provides the local Aggie Transit or whatever. There's also some service from main campus to Dona Ana Branch on the east side. Is that part of the integrated system, available to everybody or is that just specific for university students? Murphy: Oh everyone. That, that service is available to, to everyone. We do have a meeting with the, with Dona Ana Branch on Friday to really advance integrating that more into the system. Pacheco: Okay. Pearson: So it's just pay your fare, get on, and you're good. Murphy: That's correct. Pearson: Do we have any metrics for the use of bicycle, the bicycle racks on the buses because anecdotally and we started out the meeting, "Oh, they're always full," do you have any metrics that actually says you know certain routes you get certain amount of percent of use and how often they're full, things like that? Murphy: We haven't looked into that, that specifically. Michael and I did discuss it this morning. We are going to look into the fare box data to see if, if that is captured but, but right now all I can really tell you is the anecdotal evidence. Pearson: Okay. Cause I think that would be real important for future planning, identifying routes where it's used more often maybe or maybe we have to look at putting racks on the back of the bus too instead of just the front. I don't know what's technically available but ... Murphy: Actually we ... 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: I know we've expanded. Murphy: Actually we... Pearson: Initially we had two bike, a two -bike rack on the front of each bus and that's expanded to a three -bike rack and so if it's really that high usage and anecdotally it seems true that they're, more often you see a bike, bus with bikes than not it seems like but of course the metrics are really needed. Pacheco: And can we treat the interior of the bus like a train and maybe put some racks inside that securely allow for that? Pearson: Well that's where we need data. Pacheco: And I'm, I'm pretty sure that the, that the fare box does not count the bicycle, the bike ridership. Murphy: Mike Bartholomew from Roadrunner Transit is here. Bartholomew: There, there is a key on the fare box as to count bicycles. It has to be manually done by a driver. We have done in past years, just done samples just to justify the, the bike racks and but we haven't done it in quite a few years because the first year that we tested it the, I can't remember, there was, I wanted to say there was 50-80 bikes a day that were being put on the buses and, and the, and the, we were going with the anecdotal data that they were pretty, pretty heavily used all the time. In fact there's occasions that we have to deny people with bicycles a, a spot because all of our, our racks are, the, all the spaces in the racks are full. But if the MPO wanted to do a sampling of the bike racks the key is still on there that, that we could pick a sample period and sample the, the bikes. Pacheco: But, but also the denials need to be recorded. I don't think you have a key for the denials. Bartholomew: We don't have a specific one but it, there's plenty of keys. We can create a key for that. Shearer: I have a question. Are you saying that you have an agreement with ASNMSU for free passes? If so it certainly hasn't been advertised or provided. Pearson: There you are. 18 1 2 3 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Shearer: Okay. So if there's some sort of agreement for the use of the buses that hasn't been communicated around campus? Murphy: We, we had the, we had the program and it was known as the UPass. believe that was in fiscal year or academic year 2013-2014 and then since then, and the, it was some, the students paid for it out of, out of their fees. They, they directed a certain amount of their, out of their, out of their fees to Roadrunner Transit. In exchange Roadrunner Transit provided people with a valid ID, you know basically use that as their, as their bus pass and recently I think it was the, you know it's been the decision and I'm not sure if it rests at the, at the administration level or the student level for the, for NMSU was they prefer to go the pre -purchase of, of passes and I, 1 think from the, from the City's standpoint is they're always willing to, you know to reexamine the UPass idea. I think that it, it was a real boon to Roadrunner ridership and we would like to see it reinstituted but again that's, a lot of it's the University's call. Shearer: Okay. I'll make sure that this gets brought up before ASNMSU and so that request to work back to the UPass. Thank you. Murphy: We would appreciate that. Pearson. And as far as bicycles at the transfer points, anecdotally the few times that I've driven past the, the new transfer, the multimodal transfer point there's some bike parking there and it seems to be at least half full if not full so from what I can tell there seems to be a demand for maybe more bike parking, maybe bike lockers, whatever so that is something certainly to investigate. Murphy: We think the demand's there and I think provided protected parking would just you know even, even increase the usage of that. Pearson: I know NMSU has some bike lockers. I don't know what, what the usage is of them though and if they, anybody even knows, there are some up by the Pan Am Center. I actually haven't been there in years cause... they've been removed, yeah, cause it's been years and years ago that I knew about them so they might be in storage someplace maybe. 39 Herrera. Mr. Chair if I can, I just want to point out too for your information that El 40 Paso is doing a bike share program. Right now the MPO is looking into 41 getting that started up. They've put some of their, the City of El Paso has 42 put some of their own money up for the startup but it might be good to talk 43 to El Paso MPO staff if you're really seriously looking at that because they 44 have looked into it a lot and come across some hurdles but they, they're 45 overcoming those and so they're our next -door neighbors. 46 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pacheco: You hear any budget numbers by chance? Herrera: Yeah. They have them all. I just don't know them off the top of my head. Pacheco: Cost Phoenix, City of Phoenix about a half a million bucks, and not the City, it's being subsidized by out of state and out of country companies. Herrera: Yeah. I think their initial, what they put in their Transportation Improvement Program was $800,000 just for the startup and that was I believe three location, one at UTEP, one in downtown, and one somewhere else that I don't remember right now ... Pearson: So that was the reduced program from initial (inaudible) Herrera: Right, that was the reduced. They initially had I think a million and a half and then ... Pearson: TexDOT. Herrera: TexDOT. And some other things happened so,.. Pacheco: Has it been part of the discussion in El Paso or New Mexico of instead of spending a million bucks on bikes, maybe the people are going to spend money on renting, maybe bicycle ownership for every single resident? Herrera: Those discussions have not come up at the MPO. I'm not sure if they've happened. Pacheco: I'd love to see New Mexico go that route instead of copying places like El Paso and like I said this money goes out of the state and out of the country to these providers. The GPS, the bicycles, the software, none of it stays local. If we issue a credit for $100 bicycle to anyone that wants it and they can take that credit to a local bike shop, might run. Herrera: Yeah. Well we do what we can with the resources that we have. Pacheco: But we don't have the resources for bike share and we do have the resources for simple bicycle integration on a really simple level. Pearson: As far as bike share it is, Albuquerque has a system that they are, have announced that will be operational sometime in May. It's a reduced system, small system but it will exist so New Mexico will have an example of bike share. Shearer: Do we have budget numbers on that? 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 Pearson: No. I just saw the press release for it. I'm not familiar with the operational of, anything more than the press release that a small system will be operational in May sometime. I, 1 like your "Uber for Hippies" logo there. They got the, the image correctly for hippies which are what 60-70 year - old hippies now. Curry: (inaudible) Pearson: No, no, no. Herrera: Mr. Chair. Pearson: Yes. Herrera: Can I ask just another question? I know that we're talking about the Roadrunner fixed routes right now but does this plan look at all at paratransit or anything like that? Murphy: Mr. Chair, Ms. Herrera, no this, this plan is not looking at the, at the paratransit. We had a, we had a limited budget. We decided to concentrate it on the fixed route, route timing issues. We, the, yes, yeah we decided that that would be where we would, we would focus the resources. I mean the paratransit and the Dial -a -Ride system will continue to operate as is. The adjustment of routes into new areas does not affect the operation of Dial -a -Ride since we've declared the service area is the city limits, we don't need to really worry about shifting the three-quarter mile buffer around much. Herrera: Okay. Great. Thank you. Pearson: And then any integration with regional transit, VTrans or whatever, that's just at the, the transfer points probably. Murphy: Right, yes. The Roadrunner would continue to interact with other transit providers at, at those, at those points. Pearson: Okay. Guests, any further comments? Pacheco: Quick question for transit. Any thoughts on wifi enabled buses? Your, your bar chart was real low on the young people factor and young people want the wifi and maybe also some part, have you guys experimented with wrapping the buses and engaging more on a, a young person level instead of the boring old Roadrunner? Could be a source for income also. 21 I Bartholomew: We have enquired or looked a little bit into wifi at least at our intermodal 2 center but on the buses themselves we haven't yet because it, it, it's a 3 funding issue really for us to be able to put that in at this point in time. 4 5 Pacheco: And if you did the ... if you rolled out a 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 Bartholomew: And as far as the wraps on the buses the, the program that we have right now is we have a vendor that gets paying businesses to advertise on the bus and so we don't really put our own advertisements on the bus. I mean if the university wanted, they've, if, and they have on some of the campus buses. They, they've put on their own logo, information and logo on the, on the routes that we run on the campus area. But we, as a city don't put our own wraps on the bus. Pacheco: Even just the feeder ones that you're talking about with the low student ridership, students aren't coming from all over the valley necessarily, maybe just off of one or two routes, maybe deploying a test plan with Sprint or someone. I know ASU did that and it's widely successful, wildly because they can do their homework while they're on the bus as students. Also with the, the wraps if you just want to do a test run on the one route that goes through school picking up all the kids, it could be a real low-cost way to get some numbers up. Bartholomew: And it certainly is something as a partnership with the university that the university might be interested in helping to, to fund that wrap and, and make it, make it happen. Pacheco: I, 1 would think the Art Department would be. Pearson: The Transit's had some interaction with the, the Google Maps for timing and arrivals at locations. Is there, can you expand on that a little bit and maybe at the, the bus stops if there's going to be information of when the next bus will arrive or if you just do it with a smart phone or whatever. 35 Bartholomew: It, well that's actually a pretty relevant question right now. We, we did 36 have Google Transit up for a while and then it was down because there 37 were some issues with it but it's up again. Yeah, it's up again now and 1 38 would say within a couple, two to three weeks that we're, we've been 39 installing a, a, a, what's called a CAD/AVL system, Computer Aided 40 Dispatch/Automatic Vehicle Location system in our buses and we've been 41 working, it's in, it's in the process of implementation right now and we 42 should have a public website or a link from our transit website to the 43 Where's My Bus? website where people can find, see where their bus is, 44 see when the next arrival is stop by stop, when the bus is anticipated to 45 arrive at that stop. Again, that should be, probably within three weeks we 46 should have that link to our, on our website. 09 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pacheco: So you're saying the largest tech company in the whole world is working with you guys? Bartholomew: What was that? Pacheco. The largest tech company in the entire world is working with Las Cruces on their bus system? Is that what you're saying? Bartholomew: The largest tech company in the world? Pacheco: Google. They're working with Las Cruces, New Mexico on their transit ... Bartholomew: Oh, no, no, no. That's, that's not the Google system. It's a company called Clever Devices that, the CAD ... Pacheco: You mentioned Google. Bartholomew: Google is, we have a presence on Google Transit and that's just a matter of providing data to Google to, that's uploaded and, and then the information is, is on there. That's free other than the time to put the, the data together and, but the CAD/AVL system is actually something that has a public interface but more importantly for us it's, it, it's an operating interface where we can get statistical data on what our buses are doing, we have better interaction with our buses, we can see where they, the buses are at all times and, and we have that on both of our, on our fixed route side and then just internally on our Dial -a -Ride side we have that CAD/AVL system. Pacheco: So Las Cruces is giving the biggest data company in the world free data and we're not asking for some free internet on the buses yet? Bartholomew: I still, I'm sorry, I couldn't hear your ... Pacheco: We are working with Google and Google products ... Pearson: I think this kind of exceeds what we're talking about right now so if we could go on ... Pacheco: But Pearson- Is there any ... Pacheco: This is, this is very relevant actually. Pearson: I'm going to disallow this at this point. 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pacheco: Yes, sir. 5.3 Bicycle Suitability Map Pearson: Let's move on to our next item which is the Bicycle Suitability Map. Tom Murphy gave his presentation. Curry: Mr. Chair, Mr. Murphy? Could you, would you be able just to give us a quick key of red, green, orange, stripy, (inaudible) path? Pearson: And any changes of significance since the last time? Curry: Thank you. Murphy: Okay. The, the, the, when I show, I believe when it shows up on the screen is the, the dark green, I'm not sure if, it's more of an olive color here. That's, that's the, the highest suitable, the lighter green is ... Curry: Highest. Murphy: The highest, highest suitability, yeah excuse me. It's been a long day. The, the lighter green is, is somewhat suitable. The orange-ish is less suitable and the red is the least suitable, those being the, the high-speed large -volume roadways with no bicycle facilities. I think we have, I, I, 1 can't, can't pinpoint it but where we've, we had some changes on there, we've had some bike lanes implemented since then. I believe the road, road diet on Idaho is probably represented there. Curry: So what year was this set? Is this the 2014? Murphy: This is 2015. Curry: Oh this is 2015. Shearer: And the dotted white, a multiuse path? Murphy: We, we also, originally this map was envisioned as dealing with in -road facilities but I believe it was, it was through working with this Committee we added the multi -use path since you know a recreational rider finding a map at a bike shop would want to know the locations of, of those facilities as well and there, I guess is our most obvious addition would be the outfall channel path. Pearson: What's this one at the top? 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Curry: That's Sonoma Ranch. Pearson: Oh, I guess technically it's ... Murphy: Technically, yes. Farnham: There's a, another path that goes from ... Curry: DACC (inaudible) Farnham: Yeah. Down through the arroyo and Curry: Back behind the middle school. Farnham: Right. And it's actually pretty ride -able to go, continue on down the arroyo and get to the outfall channel. It's not a, any formed trail but the, kind of a cross-country there. Murphy: Right. We actually, we actually have counters on that, the, the paved portion but I don't think we ought to advertise riding on an unpaved one with, with, with, from our capacity. Farnham: We should put it the ... Curry. There's a problem with this the, the flood, whatever the floodwall ... what's that called? Farnham: The dam? Curry: The dam. The dam wall is in the way. Never had a discussion like that before. Maybe that was there's a, a dam wall that prohibits continuing that on. I, 1 have a quick question. On El Paseo our focus was really to turn El Paseo into a very ride -able road yet it remains red. Is there plans to make it a green road? Murphy: This, the, there are plans to make that a, a green road but right now this is, represents ... Curry: Okay, Murphy: Current traffic, current conditions, current counts, current speed limit. Shearer: I'll say for right now that you haven't looked at the university's roads. I'm certain that we have bus lanes the entire length of Stewart and you're showing it as orange which you say is the least suitable. 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 t0 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Curry: No, red's the least suitable. Shearer: Well okay, red then. So I would think you would need to be light green if not dark green. Also your road, your map doesn't show Arrowhead which is one of the newer roads which goes down past the early college high school. It has bike lanes on both sides and it's, it's very suitable for riding and I'm having it striped from, and it extends to Wells and I'm currently having it striped from, from Wells over to Stewart so there's a connection there. There may be some other ones that would be possibly not dark green but they ought to be depicted on the university's portion here. Murphy: We'll, we'll send our, our co-ops back out there. Shearer: Okay. Thank you. Pearson: So the map shows suitability but doesn't really show places to go, for example Lomador, Lohman-Amador is clearly red and it should be red, but Kansas is a very suitable alternate route to get ... Curry: Where's Kansas? Pearson: Along there. It's the first road south. Murphy: The first road south. Pearson: So I, and I think that's on our suitability plan so maybe we should identify alternative connections where possible as green or at least orange. But green, I mean those are residential so those are green I would presume.\ Murphy: I think we defaulted towards ones that are on the functional classification, either that is a collector or above which you know we certainly can look at local roadways when they, when they provide a very suitable alternative and, and we'll add that if you ... Pearson Well this isn't a route finding map. It's a suitability map which are two different functions so that's why I wonder if we can kind of work in the, the route finding as part of this. Murphy: Well, it's ... Pearson: Cause this is the only map that's going to be available in Las Cruces. Murphy: Okay. So I think, I think you're, you're here and you want, you want some, some destinations identified on it and then, and then local roads where they provide a very good alternative to a, to a red travel. 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 Pearson: Right, yeah like Kansas. Murphy: Okay. All right. Pearson: That's the only one I can think of offhand. Murphy: Yeah, yeah I can you know... Curry: Well I, 1 could think of coming up Conway as a nice riding road as an alternative to the university or to Union. (inaudible) doesn't go all the way through but it would mediate some (inaudible). Murphy: Yeah. I think you know and, and I missed, I, 1 wasn't at the particular meet, some of the particular meetings when the BPAC last discussed you know what the, the metrics to adopt this. I think you know, I think by, by default all local roadways are suitable for, for bicycling and they're very, you know they're very comfortable for pretty much all levels of cyclists and we provide the local map route as a background to there so somebody, you know somebody can see the local roadways and see that the connections exist but we don't do, we don't do traffic counts on them, they don't have facilities placed on them so as far as rank, you know I, 1 would say you know, you know maybe, maybe we'd put in the legend that the, the grey line is the, the grey lines are the utmost highest suitable you know for all, for all levels but I don't have a problem with identifying particular, particular alternatives when, when it's next to a heavy corridor. Pearson: We have, we have the, the bicyclists' or the Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 map. wonder if we should, at least as an exercise at some point overlay the two and see if some of those routes are missing from this map. Maybe that's where we put in connection, make, make sure that they're ... Murphy: The local roadways show? Okay. Pearson. Officially overlapped. Murphy: Okay. That sounds like a good suggestion. Pearson: (inaudible) Cause I think Kansas should be on a Tier, like a Tier 1 route as an alternative. Murphy: Right. Yeah, yeah similar to like Albuquerque and Silver as the bike boulevard parallel to Central Avenue. 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Curry: Yeah, and for example you could take, I'm looking at Hadley (inaudible) a light green/olive/orange or we could just work on making those orange ones like green or olive. Murphy: Right. Curry: (inaudible) connectivity. Murphy: And that's, yeah and that's where we're identifying doing the first bicycle boulevards along Hadley so we would like to, you know those are the, probably the, the best, the best places to do initial treatments. Pearson Yeah, Hadley got darker colored since the last road improvement project there cause bike lanes were added. Herrera: Mr. Chair, Tom, if I can just ask what do you consider suitable in a more rural area? What is the width of shoulder? Murphy: I, 1 think we need to, we, we go to, AASHTO say that it needs to be a minimum of four feet before we can consider it. Herrera: Okay, and that doesn't include if there's guard rail or I don't think we have any rumble strips on any roads in the MPO and yeah so guard rail because that takes away from a little bit of the ride -able shoulder area. Murphy: Okay. We, we can check, see if there's any, anything where the guardrail reduces that but ... Herrera: It, it's probably minimal. I guess it would just be nice to say some around here that's suitable for the rural areas needs at least four foot of shoulder just so that it's clear for people from out of town that are looking at this. Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Herrera if I could interject, I, 1 don't know if all of you recall the current suitability map but on the back side there is a, sort of in a brochure style a wide range of various pieces of information. It sounds like it, it might be a good idea if the meeting we bring that map in, or that portion of the map in for discussion by this Committee so that we can make sure that the information presented will be useful to the cycling community at large but 1, as Mr. Murphy said I think that we can put text in alluding to the local roads and we can also put text in the informational portion of the map regarding the rural road definition. Herrera: Thank you. That would be helpful just because you know there's different levels of, of cyclists and their comfort levels so maybe suitable for someone who rides a lot is not suitable for somebody who's just starting out and so that could be helpful. 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: Any further comments? Herrera: I like it. Wray: Good. 6. COMMITTEE AND STAFF COMMENTS 6.1 Local Projects update Pearson: Okay. We'll move on to Committee and Staff Comments. Murphy: I guess I'll go first. Staff, we have, MPO has a new Planning Technician on board. In the, in the back you see Sharon Nebbia. We hired her formerly of the, the, she was working with the Boston MPO for a little bit and graduated from University of Delaware and we're, we're happy to have her. She's really bright and she's corrected us on many mistakes already. Wray: She's contributed significantly to the MTP already. Pearson: We've got an upcoming change in our Committee membership? Farnham: Yes. I did submit a letter to resign effective after this meeting here. I did provide a recommendation of Mr. James Nunez, sorry. Of course from what I understand the final decision is (inaudible) I believe with public works director. Murphy: Staff, staff appointments are, are the purview of the, of the Department so Ms. Reyes would have the final, final say-so. Farnham: James is, he actually works with Jerry Cordova who used to be on the Board as City rep and so I feel he's well qualified and very in tune with City projects (inaudible). Pearson: So do we ask MPO staff to request a letter from Ms. Reyes or Wray: Mr. Chair, yes I'll be getting in touch with Ms. Reyes tomorrow as a matter of fact to speed along the formal appointment. Pearson: Local updates? Shearer: Turn it off. Just some of the things going on the campus, NMSU campus. We're currently starting a campus -wide survey from students and staff and employees on the bike program there. It's going to more or less be open 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 to all individuals there for their comments on the program and also trying to collect information on, on their concerns for the campus, any hazards, that sort of thing, trying to get information if they've had an injury, an accident. It's directed mostly towards bicyclists but it's open to pedestrians and just general comments coming in if they have any information there and for bicyclists just trying to get some general information on their habits and that sort of thing, do they always wear a helmet and do they ride on the right side and so some of these other ones just, just for that. And the other thing that we've got coming up is on April 25th just after Earth Day on Sunday we're going to do another family bicycle safety event for the youth and parents on our housing areas more or less, and inviting in, we have the City Codes coming in doing training and (inaudible) Club for repairs and a bike ride for youth as well as for the adults on the campus, (inaudible) Club and just going through our fix -it station and that's in the south campus area. That's about it. Pearson: Anything from the City today? Murphy: I don't have anything. Pearson: Please. Nunez: If I could, yeah. Thanks. I'm a new hire also at the City. Actually just worked with Dave, came from the university so I know Dave and I've been taking note of all your names so yeah, we'll see what Loretta says. Maybe she has a different candidate, that's fine too but I'm here just to see what the meeting's about so, also I did talk to Jerry briefly and he, he mentioned a couple projects that I might mention for you all. On Locust they're going to do a, from Missouri to Rentfrow Avenue they're going to do an overlay and then we're going to add bike lanes on that section and then also El Paseo, Boutz to Farney overlay also and I think he said share lanes there but maybe bike lanes, I can check for the next meeting but the construction's a ways out. It'll be going on next, next summer. Pearson: That includes the intersection, that includes the intersection at Missouri and Locust? Nunez: Yeah it appears, up to it. Pearson: On the north side? Nunez: South, so that goes to the south, to Rentfrow. Pearson: Oh, Rentfrow's on the south? Nunez: Yes. By that school. 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Pearson: Is there already bike lanes? Nunez: Could be. I'm not sure. I don't remember actually seeing painted bike lanes but maybe somebody else can answer that. Pearson: Yeah that, what I was thinking about was at Locust and Missouri on the north side of the intersection there's a right turn only lane and there's a, like a, a triangle shape marked off area and there would be room to actually put the bike lane on that side to connect with the bike lane on the other side of the intersection and we could also then talk to Traffic Engineering about making sure that bicyclists could be detected at that intersection. Nunez: Okay. Pearson: So if we're talking about the north side that'd be worth looking at. Cause otherwise it's a case where things just get put back the way they were and if we could make an improvement there I think that would affect safety. Casillas: Dona Ana County. I don't have any updates unless you guys have any questions for us. Shearer: I do have further question, a comment from one of the Bicycle Task Force members there and it was a concern on the new 1-25, the Missouri overpass. The artist's rendition didn't show bike lanes under the underpass and they were wanting to know why that was or if they were going to be put in. Herrera: I can check on that. That portion, the City did put in some money and they did participate in the design of Missouri under the overpass. I'm not sure, I haven't seen plans, but I'll definitely look at that and get back to this Committee. I'll probably send a response through Andrew if you can distribute. Pearson: I think you're probably seeing the article about the artist's rendition of the, the graphics that will be added and clearly they, that was not an engineering drawing. Herrera: Yeah, and so they may very well be there but I don't want to misspeak right now so ... Pearson: Cause I, 1 recall some discussion there and there was, there was a lot of tightness in that area so they may have left out, they may intend on doing just a shared lane there for underneath the bridge. If we get lanes, bike lanes of course that would be wonderful. 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Herrera: Yeah. I'll, I'll definitely double check on that tomorrow and get a response back to you. Pearson: Cause that's a very big intersection with facilities there. Herrera: Right. Pearson: With Missouri, the Triviz ... Herrera: And then the multiuse path. Pearson: The multiuse path, Don Roser. Herrera: Okay. Pearson: Do you have a question? Go ahead. Curry: Thank you. I just wanted to give a quick update on behalf of Safe Routes to School. We have a whole lot of events coming up similar to the ones that Mr. Shearer mentioned for the NMSU. April the 4th we're going to have a bike education and family fun day at Conlee Elementary from 9-11 a.m. and that'll be bike repair, bike education, free helmets, kind of just a fun bike, bike day. We'll have another one similar to that at Central Elementary from 9-11 a.m. on the 11th of April. The 2nd of May we'll have another one at Booker T. Washington Elementary and then just add the week of May 4th through 8th we have National Bike to School day and we'll be celebrating, so far we have 16 out of 25 schools signed up for that. So we have a lot of biking activity with the elementary schools. Thank you. Shearer: Could I ask, what was the second school? Curry: The second school was Central Elementary. It's the 11th of April. Pearson: And as far as bicycling activities we're, we're seeing meetings of the Southern New Mexico Bicyclists educators with the Branigan Library, I think it's, it's a Saturday May 23rd, if I have that right, we'll probably have an event from like 10:00 to 5:00, might include a ride, some education things. It's not set yet but it actually will be. That'll be set in the next week or so at the meeting Thursday. 6.2 NMDOT Projects update Pearson: So NMDOT 32 I Herrera: Okay, so I'm sure you've all seen the orange barrels at Missouri on 1-25. 1 2 know it's kind of a mess over there. Just please slow down, be careful. 3 We've had some accidents, just people not paying attention to the work 4 zone so please just make sure that you slow down and, and pay attention 5 while you're going through there. That's going to be a long project. We're 6 going to be working on it for 320 weather working days. That means you 7 know if, if anything happens between now and then the contractor can 8 take the day off if the weather's bad enough but so far they're pushing 9 through. Everything's on schedule right now. They've completed the 10 crossovers for the detour and so they'll be tearing down one side of the 11 bridge at a time. So I don't have a date on when that will actually happen 12 but that will be at night to minimize the impact to traffic that goes under 13 Missouri. So as soon as we get a date for that I'll make sure to let this 14 Committee know and we also do have monthly meetings just to go over 15 construction updates so I believe the MPO receives those and somehow 16 distributes those releases. 17 18 Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Herrera, that was our practice historically. Unfortunately 19 we are no longer able to do that. I, it is with profound regret and this was 20 not by our choice but we are compelled to by City of Las Cruces IT. We 21 have no, no choice in the matter. 22 23 Herrera: Well if you do not receive press releases from Bridget Spedalieri our 24 District 1 PIO please let me know and I will add your name to the list if 25 you're interested. We send out all construction updates through press 26 release as well for anything major that's happening within a work zone. 27 The other project is North Main. That one was a little bit behind 28 schedule. I believe it still is but they're looking at finishing up hopefully 29 here sometime midsummer so they're still doing some work to utilities at 30 the intersection of Madrid and that's about all I know on that project. If you 31 have any specific questions I can get those answered from our 32 construction crews. And I think that's really all that we've got going on 33 currently in the area now. There's some projects coming up. The Union 34 bridges, I'm sure you're aware of that. I don't know what the plan is for 35 that because Missouri is going on at the same time and so we have talked 36 a lot internally about how to coordinate that to make sure that we can keep 37 traffic flowing around the university so I'll have to get more details on, on 38 that but I'm sure that there's going to be meetings about it and everything 39 so I'll make sure to keep this Committee updated on that and again look 40 for press releases for public meetings and things. And are there any 41 questions about future projects or anything else? 42 43 Curry: I have a quick question. Are there going to be bike lanes on the North 44 Main project once it's resurfaced? 45 46 Herrera: Yes. Yes. 3 4 6 7 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Curry: Great. Pearson: That was included in the consultant's report way back when so if they're not there we're going to have an uprising. Curry: And I am too. Pearson: I guess, I did attend the National Bike Summit, a couple ideas one, just to throw out there they were showing some maps in neighborhoods and showing mapping according to stress levels so they would show green areas on one side, green areas on the other side, probably residential areas and then high, red areas in between and if there was a, a stress area between the two areas that was something to concentrate on and try to figure out how to reduce the stress which would increase the network. Another thing that's being talked about is Vision Zero and I've heard New York City's talking about Vision Zero where the idea is actually to reduce traffic fatalities to zero. It's a lofty goal but there are some planning efforts in order to try to take a whack at that. Right now we accept is, that's just the way it is, 33 some thousand people in America every year are killed. That's, if we have one Ebola patient in the country we go in a panic but 33,000 traffic fatalities are okay. There is a, a bill proposed in Congress to provide some funding, you know shift some funding so it's not funding neutral. The communities would be able to do a Vision Zero plan and so that might be something. San Francisco's looking at that. There are some others in the area. You have a comment? Murphy: Yeah, Mr. Chair. Just to, to latch onto that. I think that's, that's a, an attitude or a vision that we can follow through with our performance measures. You know safety's one of, going to be one of the key ones and I think reduction of crashes and particularly Vision Zero towards fatalities I think is something that you know, you know hopefully our Committee structure would, would endorse pushing forward. Pearson: And then at the state level, yeah on April 18th the New Mexico Bicyclists Educators are having a summit up in Albuquerque. April 19th is a celebration of Bike Route 66, Adventure Cycling has maps throughout the country, they've just released Bike Route 66 from Chicago to California. We're going to celebrate the New Mexico segment with a 30-mile ride. The ride is free and then there'll be a, a lunch available for $10 cost afterwards. Jim Sauter, president of Adventure Cycling will be there and so we should have interesting things going on there. And that's all I have. Herrera: Mr. Chair. 46 Pearson: Yes. 34 2 Herrera: Sorry. 4 Pearson Oh, I, I've, my, there's also the safety summit up in Albuquerque. Go, you 5 probably know more about that. I know, I don't remember the date. 6 7 Herrera_ Yeah. The safety summit is the 24th. That's next Tuesday I believe and 8 it's to finalize the, the NMDOT's state highway safety plan and part of that 9 plan is specifically directed at bicycles and pedestrians. We didn't, 10 actually we had a really good turnout at the last working group meeting for 11 the bike/ped element and so I, I'm really excited to see what comes out of 12 the plan but, but we had a really good representation and so if you're 13 interested it's the 24th in Albuquerque. I believe it starts at eight. I can 14 send you more information on it. And then also I just wanted to mention 15 that Rosa Kozev, she is working on a state suitability map right now too. 16 We're running into some issues with our shape files but hopefully we 17 should have something out soon so it, it sort of mimics I guess what you're 18 doing here but on a statewide level. 19 20 Pearson: Okay. Any other comments? Okay. 21 22 7. PUBLIC COMMENT 23 24 Pearson: We're ready for our second opportunity for public comment. Okay. We're 25 going to cut off the meeting at 7:00. 26 27 Pacheco: All right. I did a little research while you guys were ... 28 29 Pearson: You start with your name again, please. 30 31 Pacheco: Derrick Pacheco. I brought up an article just now. Headline is "Citybike is 32 Failing and Jeopardizing Public Safety, New York City Audit Alleges." You 33 might want to look that one up. These, these initiatives, the Ubers, the 34 bike shares, the fluff like I called it earlier really concerns me. I love New 35 Mexico. I love bicycling. I bicycle every single day. I love bicycling so 36 much I opened up a bike store in a neighborhood that's pretty rough. We 37 have all sorts of initiatives with, excuse me with kids, college kids, 38 students of all kinds, professors, everyone is really into bikes. Ft. Collins 39 Bike Library, brought them up. On the bottom of their webpage it says 40 there have been 23,575 free bicycles checked out, free. Let me pull up 41 another bit of information. Boulder, Colorado, $107,000 is the median 42 family income for Boulder, Colorado in 2012. The median income for Las 43 Cruces, New Mexico $36,000. Why we're comparing cities I'm not sure. 44 Bike share in Phoenix costs a resident $80 a year. I had some ideas on 45 how to put Las Cruces on the map and I'm sure you guys do too cause 46 you love New Mexico and Las Cruces just as much as I do. Let's really, 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 really dig deep and try to beat this cause this is crap. This is a losing venture. Do your research. I'm doing my research. Let's figure this out. I'll help you guys. I will come to every meeting. I'm going to be a property owner here by the next month so I have a vested interest. That's all. Curry: Mr. Chair, may I comment, Mr. Chair. Pearson: Sure. Curry: I just wanted to clarify. You said you were from Phoenix? So can you, can you explain a little bit your relationship with Las Cruces? You love New Mexico but what's your relationship with Las Cruces other than you know getting smaller cities involved in ... Pacheco: Absolutely. I, 1 love getting small cities on board because there's a real opportunity here. I love this small city in particular because my family's from here. My grandfather farmed onions in Deming. My grandmother lives on Mesquite Street, the oldest street in the town site. I'm buying her property, buying some more property around here. I'm interested. I really care. To see what happens in Phoenix and other cities where people that don't care come in, make some decisions, spend a bunch of money, and then leave from the City Manager double-dipping in pensions all the way to the local leaders not giving the kids opportunities, kids like me, kids that are under my direction. There's no opportunity that trickles down you know it's so weird. Bicycling's for everyone. Farnham: Question. What's your bike shop? Pacheco: Called Hood Ride Bicycles_ Farnham: When did you open? Pacheco: About seven years ago in the recession. Shearer: If you have some ideas, if you could jot them down and right now I think we're looking at five different bike share programs trying to find one that would be economically feasible for the university that they would be willing to support so David Boje with the business college has been working on this and so we'd be very interested if you wanted to forward that ... Pacheco: Absolutely. I'll, I'll ... Shearer: To, to, to me or to ... Pacheco I'll forward you the Popular Mechanics articles, the Discovery Channel stuff, the Sunset Magazine stuff. 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Shearer: Yeah. You're just trying to find out you know how we could afford something like that. Thank you. Pearson: One other area that I probably should have brought up during the transit discussion but community bikes shops and also a bicycle library are ideas but Albuquerque has a successful bike shop. Took, took them 20 years of planning in order to get it going but they're running now. I'm not sure how their funding works there and it's, they could be TAP funding. Always something that's difficult to look at but looking at a community bike shop might be something worthwhile at some point, maybe partnering with Transit, maybe partnering with the Mesilla Valley Housing Authority. When you're looking at low incomes, you're looking at cost of living, you're looking at rents, you're looking at transportation. Pacheco: Access to food, access to services, it's all integrated. Pearson: Yeah. The part that this body could address is transportation and that's a large part of the problem. Pacheco: If we get, if we can make clear lines of transportation to food and get rid of these food islands and this obesity problem and the problem with crime and people just wanting to watch TV inside their home. This is the perfect connector, the gateway to all of it and it's so cool that you guys get to delegate the future of Las Cruces bike program but I'd like to see it done on a shoestring, much as I have been able to accomplish a lot. If you give a zero budget you're forced to be creative. No one gave me a budget. I guarantee it but I did have some awesome patrons that put me into touch with the right people, gave me a little bit of push which I needed. I was able to sustain the seven hardest years of my life doing business and we are the only community bicycle shop in the downtown core and I want you to study what I've done and the, the control and the environment and the community that we've developed. Pearson So you mentioned that you're purchasing property. Are you moving to Las Cruces and taking your business here to Las Cruces? Pacheco: Expanding, Pearson: Okay. Pacheco: We're, we've grown that big already. Pearson: Okay. Well thank you. Any further public comment? 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 8. ADJOURNMENT Pearson: Seeing none, I'll call for a motion to adjourn. Shearer: I move to adjourn. Herrera: Second. Pearson: All in favor "aye." MOTION IS APPROVED UNANIMOUSLY. Meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m. Chairperson J � 38