Loading...
04-21-151 2 3 4 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 MESILLA VALLEY METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN FACILITIES ADVISORY COMMITTEE The following are minutes for the meeting of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities Advisory Committee of the Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) which was held April 21, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. in Commission Chambers at Dona Ana County Government Building, 845 Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico. MEMBERS PRESENT: George Pearson, Chair (CLC Citizen Rep) (Arrived 5:10) David Shearer (NMSU - Environmental Safety) Jolene Herrera (NMDOT Rep) Ashleigh Curry (Town of Mesilla Citizen) James Nunez (CLC Rep) Andrew Bencomo (Pedestrian Community Rep) MEMBERS ABSENT: Leslie Kryder, Vice Chair (Bicycle Community Rep) Mark Leisher (DAC Citizen Rep) Karen Rishel (Bicycling Community Bicycle Rep) Carlos Coontz (Pedestrian Committee Rep) Albert Casillas (DAC Rep) STAFF PRESENT: Andrew Wray (MPO) Michael McAdams (MPO) Sharon Nebbia (MPO) OTHERS PRESENT: Lisa Willman Derrick Pacheco Becky Baum, Recording Secretary, RC Creations, LLC 1. CALL TO ORDER (5:05 p.m.) Curry: Okay so I'm going to call the meeting to order. We're missing our Chairman so in his place I'm the Vice Chair. We'll go ahead and start I think with introductions since we have some new members today, so Ashleigh Curry, I'm the Mesilla Community Representative. Nunez: James Nunez, City of Las Cruces. Herrera: Jolene Herrera, New Mexico Department of Transportation. Shearer: David Shearer, NMSU Representative. Bencomo: Andrew Bencomo, Pedestrian Citizen Representative. Wray: Andrew Wray, MPO staff. 2 I Curry: Thank you. 2 3 2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA 4 5 Curry: Let's move on to approval of agenda, item number two. Is there anybody 6 who would like to make a motion to approve? 7 8 Bencomo: So moved. 9 10 Shearer: I'll second. 11 12 Curry: And please remember just to say your name for the transcription there. 13 Okay super. So approval of agenda, approval of agenda. If we can now 14 move on to item number three, minutes. 15 16 Wray: Madam Chair we didn't have a vote. 17 18 Curry: Oh, I'm sorry. Do we have a vote, all in favor please say "aye." 19 20 MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY. 21 22 Curry: Opposed? Okay so approved. Approval of agenda. 23 24 3. APPROVAL OF MINUTE 25 26 3.1 March 17, 2015 27 28 Curry: We're going to move to approval of the minutes, item number three. 29 Yeah, if you'd like to just take a moment to have a quick look at them if 30 you didn't read them ahead of time. 31 32 Herrera: I move to approve the minutes from March 17th. 33 34 Curry: Do we have a second? 35 36 Nunez: Second. 37 38 Curry: Thank you. We'll take a vote now for approval of the minutes. All in favor. 39 40 MOTION PASSED, ONE ABSTENTION. 41 42 Curry: Anyone opposed? Okay. 43 44 Bencomo: Madam Chair I abstain as I was not at the last meeting so I can't comment 45 on the, on the minutes. 46 3 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Curry: Thank you. And so we will approve the minutes of March 17th, 2015. 4. PUBLIC COMMENT Curry: At this time we'll move to item number four on the agenda, public comment. Do we have anybody from the public who'd like to add anything to the meeting at this time? No public comment. 5. ACTION ITEMS 5.1 Recommend Approval of Amendments to the 2014-2019 Transportation Improvement Program Curry: We're going to move to item number five, action items 5-1, 5.1 is recommend approval of Amendments to the 2014-2019 Transportation Improvement Plan and we have MPO staff for this. PRESENTATION BY MPO STAFF MEMBER. Herrera: Thank you Andrew. I'm handing out a sheet of paper. There's only one change for DOT, hold on let me hand out these out and then. It's a new project for fiscal year 2015 and you'll notice the control number is a little bit different than what you're probably used to seeing, it's starts with an "E" because it also spans the El Paso MPO, so it does cross the boundary there. It's on NM 478 from milepost 0 to 10.75 and it's a pavement preservation for $1.6 million. So if there are any questions I would be happy to try and answer them for you at this time. Bencomo: Madam Chair, so the question, sorry, does 478 is that all the way from I- 25 all the way to Chaparral? That's 478, correct? Herrera: 478 is Main Street actually. Bencomo: Oh I'm sorry. I'm thinking of the wrong one. Okay. Herrera: I think you're thinking of 404. Bencomo: That's right. Herrera: Maybe. Yeah. Pearson: On, is this going to be a partial pavement project or a full width project? Herrera: No it's full width. We are ... a I Pearson: The previous 478 was partial and that's, there's lots of difficult ... there's 2 some places where there's like a six-inch drop. 3 4 Herrera: We have had those conversations. I've talked to the, the maintenance 5 engineers about that specifically and they assured me that it is full width 6 and they will be trying to correct some of those areas and build up the 7 shoulders, similar to what was done on NM 28 with the previous project so 8 there will not be partial paving. 9 10 Pearson: Very good. 11 12 Shearer: Can I ask how this is being funded since it's not listed on the TIP 13 previously? 14 15 Herrera: Sure it's with federal funding. It's actually of the category Surface 16 Transportation Program Flex money. Fully funded at $1.6 million. And 1 17 did mention that it does cross over into the El Paso MPO boundary and so 18 it will be added to their Transportation Improvement Program as well. 19 20 Curry: At this point I'm going to hand the control of the meeting back over to 21 George Pearson, Chairman. 22 23 Pearson: Okay just, sorry I was late but got sort of late and there was a bit of a 24 headwind. And I want Ashleigh to have the thrill of chairing a meeting. 25 Okay, any other comments on the, on this item? I'll hear, have you had a 26 motion? I'll hear a motion to approve the item. 27 28 Bencomo: So moved. 29 30 Curry: Second. 31 32 Pearson: There's been a motion and a second to approve. All in favor "aye." 33 34 MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY. 35 36 Pearson: Any opposed? So the item's been approved. 37 38 6. DISCUSSION ITEMS 39 40 6.1 Bicycle Suitability Map 41 42 Pearson: Onto number six, Bicycle Suitability Map discussion. 43 44 PRESENTATION BY MPO STAFF MEMBER. 45 46 Shearer: Yeah, the question is what's going to be on the back? 5 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Wray: Mr. Chair, Mr. Shearer. I'm handing around the current Suitability Map, right now this is the sort of material that we're proposing to put on the back. Whether or not there are any questions, and this was provided to the Committee via e-mail before the, before the meeting, but, so if there are any comments that you have, you have the, the digital document, you can certainly continue to provide those. But any changes that you would like to see made in the material on the back, certainly feel free to let us know what they should be. Other than that staff as far as I know in our conversations is fairly satisfied with the information so barring comments from the Committee, we are probably largely going to leave the back matter as it is. Shearer: Again regarding what's on the University's not accurate. Wray: Mr. Chair, Mr. Shearer. You're looking at the current map not the proposed map. Shearer: All right. Pearson: Have to look at the back. Since we were just talking about the back part, under rules for safe bicycle riding, the first item is always wear a helmet, I would just move that further down the list. That's, it's important but not the most important; being visible, riding predictably, and obeying stop signs. Curry: Riding on the right side of the road. Pearson: Riding on the right side of the road. Yeah, so. I would move some place further down. Wray: We can certainly do that. Shearer: Looking at the correct map and I will say once again that it is not representative of what's at the University. Thank you. Wray: Mr. Chair, Mr. Shearer. We have been attempting to make contact with you via our co-ops. We will continue to do so. Shearer: Thank you. Curry: Mr. Chair I'd like to just make comment, I'm married to a colorblind person who would not be able to see the difference between the reds and the greens and the oranges on this map. I don't know if that's taken into consideration. If this is a standard coloring, but I know for certain that anybody who's colorblind would have a lot of difficulty with the color choices. 6 1 2 Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Curry. Do you have a quick resource that you could send 3 to us as to what would be a good, a good color scheme to use? We, 4 we've wrestled and struggled, the previous map we were not very satisfied 5 with because we were not very happy with how the color scheme 6 ultimately ended being, ended up being used by members of the public 7 because the red popped out so strongly it drew all the attention. So we 8 have wrestled with how to handle the color scheme, so if you have any 9 suggestions in that regard please by all means let us know. 10 11 Curry: Mr. Wray. Thank you, I will do some research but I do know that red/ 12 green/brown color schemes are the most commonly colorblind and I do 13 agree, I'd much prefer this because it's a much more optimistic looking 14 map with green popping out as opposed to the red on the old map 15 popping out. I, 1 do agree with that. So if I may do some research and get 16 back to you. I, 1 would also just recommend that the color of the river be 17 slightly changed from the color of the most suitable paths cause right now 18 it looks like the river's the most suitable place to bike in town. 19 20 Wray: You are quite right, I had not noticed that. 21 22 Curry: Thank you. 23 24 Herrera: Mr. Chair. A question that I brought up at the last meeting, I think Tom 25 was going to maybe check on it, I asked what does a suitable shoulder, 26 what's the criteria I guess for a suitable shoulder? 27 28 Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Herrera. I have to confess I do not know the specific 29 answer to that question. Actually some of the people, individuals around 30 this table might be able to give a better answer than I would. I would say 31 that it needs to be a shoulder that's probably at least three feet, if not 32 more, and I don't know whether in the analysis that was done by staff 33 whether or not such items as street sweeping was taken into 34 consideration, I rather doubt it, but I would defer to other members of the 35 Committee if they would like to chime in on this, on this issue. 36 37 Herrera: Thank you and the street sweeping thing I mean that's kind of just a, a 38 normal issue so I guess I'm more concerned about the width of the, the 39 shoulder, about what's considered suitable, and more so for people from 40 out of town who might be looking at this and maybe something in their 41 area might be different than what people here consider suitable. I don't 42 know if it's really that big of an issue, just something that pops into my 43 mind. 44 I Wray: Well it, it, it's a good issue to bring up because it does point out perhaps 2 we need to, in the text in the back matter, we need to specifically define 3 that, that item. 4 5 Herrera: Thank you. 6 7 Pearson: Because there might be something with the speed and shoulder widths. 8 9 Wray: It, it is also speed is one of the factors considered as well. 10 11 Herrera: Right and I did see that on here, on the previous map on the back. It's, 1 12 really like this table right here because it, it does tell you exactly traffic 13 counts, speed, functional classification, but just when you throw out a 14 word like "suitability" I think it's good to give some kind of definition 15 because it could be vague. 16 17 Wray: I, 1 think we will certainly add that, add, add a specific definition to that. 18 19 Herrera: Thank you. 20 21 Pearson: I noticed on Picacho from some place, part of it is orange but it seems like 22 the facility is the same throughout the length all the way down to Valley 23 Drive. 24 25 Wray: Mr. Chair I'm not sure why that choice was made, it may have something 26 to do, it may have something to do with speed along that corridor, I'm just 27 not certain. I did not do the direct work on the map myself. 28 29 Pearson: Yeah that one I ... 30 31 Curry: Mister, oh. Mr. Chair. I, 1 might add I believe that the shoulder changes at 32 that point, it goes from a wider shoulder and before you get to the bridge 33 the shoulder disappears off a little bit, if I remember correctly from cycling 34 it. 35 36 Pearson: Well we had that project, the NMDOT project that re -did that whole piece 37 and my recollection is that it's pretty consistent but maybe if you 38 remember something else. 39 40 Herrera: Right, no, it is pretty consistent on the other side of Valley Drive headed 1 41 guess east, the shoulder does narrow but everything from Valley Drive 42 west does have a striped bike lane. 43 44 Pearson: So I would think the orange part from where it's marked Highway 292 to, 45 that's probably South Fairacres something ... 46 s I Wray: It's ... 2 3 Pearson: Shalom Colony. Which should probably go green. 4 5 Wray: We'll, we'll certainly reevaluate that section. 6 7 Herrera: Yeah I guess I would think if anything was going to be the orange color it 8 should be the other side of Valley Drive where the shoulder is very narrow 9 and there isn't an actual striped bike lane. Oh there is. Okay. Okay, so I 10 see just this little portion. Yeah that definitely does have bike lane, so. 11 12 Pearson: I wonder if I look at the piece that's red from Picacho to Parker, it's a 13 connecting piece, actually it's not a very good piece anyways but maybe 14 make that orange just to help guide people. 15 16 Wray: Mr. Chair. I, we'll discuss that. I'm ... 17 18 Pearson: I know, I understand the problems there cause it's ... 19 20 Wray: Personally I'm not sure that 1, I, 1 personally would be in agreement with 21 that suggestion but we will certainly bring that up with staff and we may 22 make a change there. 23 24 Pearson: As the plan is currently marked as New Mexico, or there's markings for 25 New Mexico Bike Route 7 if I remember the numbers right. 26 27 Curry: Mr. Chair, Mr. Wray. What is the, what's the timeframe for getting this 28 finalized? 29 30 Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Curry. We would like to do it, to, to use an unhelpful term 31 "as soon as possible." It has been since 2010 since we've gotten this map 32 out. We've had a number of issues that have prevented us from being 33 able to do, to do an update until now. This, this map is desperately in 34 need of updating. We've received a lot of requests even recently for an 35 updated copy of this, so on a staff level before this meeting we were 36 contemplating trying to get this out by June. Now there's obviously 37 publishing time that that has to be taken into consideration so we're 38 hoping to get this moved to the publisher fairly quickly after this meeting. 39 Now depending on the scope of the changes at the, and I, certainly not to 40 discourage any further suggestions, far from it, depending on the scope of 41 the changes obviously if there's a number of things that need to be looked 42 at, that will push it back some but we would like to get it out as quickly as 43 we possibly can at this point. 44 45 Pearson: So you've got the multiuse paths marked with a special dashed line, 1 46 don't see that on the legend. 9 1 2 Wray: To use the proper legal term "oops." 3 4 Shearer: It's on this one. 5 6 Herrera: It's on the little one. 7 8 Wray: Well so it is. Well I don't know why it's not appearing on the big one but it 9 sure isn't here. 10 11 Pearson: Okay. 12 13 Wray: Sharon's saying that they had to reprint and so apparently it got taken off 14 the legend, but we will definitely make sure that it's on there. 15 16 Shearer: I have a question, the schoolhouse which is supposed to indicate a public 17 school on Union, on the university campus. 18 19 Wray: Mr. Chair. I don't know what that's referencing. 20 21 Pearson: It might be for the university. 22 23 Wray: It, it might be for the university. 24 25 Shearer: It's a public school. 26 27 Wray: But that that wouldn't be an appropriate use if it was so we'll check on 28 that. 29 30 Pearson: And the multiuse trails there's, where's the piece that comes down, it's 31 Morning Star here isn't it? The one that comes down to Roadrunner. 32 Shouldn't this be multiuse? 33 34 Wray: I'm not aware of it but you may very well be correct. We'll, we'll definitely 35 check on that. 36 37 Pearson: Some place there's a multiuse path that connects to Roadrunner. 38 39 Wray: Okay we, we'll, we'll check on that. 40 41 Pearson: It's over by the Dona Ana Branch area. And there's another school ... 42 43 Curry: It's right here. 44 45 Pearson: It's gotta be in here somewhere. 46 10 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Wray: Oh, okay, yes I know exactly which one you're talking about. Yes you are right, it is not there. We will get that on there. Curry: Is it on this one? Wray: It is not. Pearson: And this one, the multiuse, the Outfall Channel extends past Telshor, does there, is there actually anything there? I've never ridden it cause there's no place to go. Wray: There, there is an extension out there, but you are correct in that it doesn't really go anywhere but it does ... Pearson: Cause there's a driveway that goes out (inaudible) Wray: It, it, it does, it does exist but it just ... Pearson: Okay so it's kind of ... Wray: It, what it, what it does is it is reflected on the map. Pearson: Yeah. And we're going to hold off on the future dam trail that's going to be funded or built in the next year or so? Wray: Mr. Chair. Yes. We're hoping that we will certainly be able to do another update on a, on a biannual basis like it's intended to be so we would prefer this map to reflect existing conditions at the moment. Curry: Mr. Chair, Mr. Wray. I have some questions about Bataan Memorial, so Highway 70 with a, the, the, what are they called, the side roads? Bencomo: The frontage road. Curry: The frontage roads, thank you, being most suitable. In my opinion that would be more suitable you know, somewhat suitable. Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Curry. In looking at that I am in agreement with you. I'm not sure why that choice was made. We will, we will convene on that. Herrera: It might be because that is State Bike Route 7. Wray: Possibly, but I don't remember that being mentioned in the context of that conversation. We'll, we'll definitely discuss ... Herrera: Well... it 1 2 Wray: We'll discuss that. 3 4 Herrera: Yeah I guess the point is that it should be moved up the, up the scale not 5 further down. Okay. 6 7 Wray: Yeah. 8 9 Herrera: Yeah. Then I definitely agree because it is State Bike Route 7, it probably 10 should be moved up. 11 12 Curry: Mr. Chair, Mr. Wray. I, I, think this just goes without saying, if we could 13 have just a little bit more time to, to review the map, not necessarily today 14 but just in looking at the map against what's out in the community I think if 15 we're taking the opportunity to redo this map once every five years, I'd 16 really love some more time just to really be able to address the areas that 17 are questionable. 18 19 Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Curry. Do you have any idea how much more time you 20 would like? 21 22 Curry: I would do it as soon as possible (inaudible). 23 24 Wray: Thank you. 25 26 Curry: No, in all seriousness I think you know I'm not sure if we're meeting again 27 in a month but maybe just bring it up and, and have one more month to be 28 able to do it by mid May. 29 30 Wray: We can do that. I do want to mention that the May meeting is going to be 31 both the, a recommendation of approval of the MTP from this body to the 32 Policy Committee and the recommendation to the Policy Committee of the 33 2016 through 2021 TIP, so, and there is no, there is no June meeting for 34 this Committee, so I don't know. We'll, what I can do is we, we will 35 discuss this on a staff level tomorrow and I will send an e-mail out to this 36 committee giving them an update. 1, 1 image that we will want to provide 37 as much time as possible but I do know that it has been impressed upon 38 staff that we need to get this out quickly, so, but we will discuss that and 1 39 will update everyone as to what the result of that conversation is. 40 41 Curry: Thank you. 42 43 Pearson: Maybe if you can send us the changes as you're working on them and 44 (inaudible), cause I think staff can, at some point staff's going to have to 45 decide we're done. 46 12 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Wray: Mr. Chair. That is true. At some point we are going to have to be done am hesitant to send out multiple e-mails with large attachments. We ... Pearson: I was thinking more of the changes you (inaudible), you've agreed with changing this to this color, you know. Wray: Oh. Pearson: Segments. No a whole ... Wray: Okay, I see what you mean. Pearson: Then things get lost in the detail, I mean the massiveness of it. But you could tell us, "Yes we've seen these problems and this is what we want to change and if anybody else has comments on what you changed." Wray: I, 1 don't want to commit to that suggestion so I'll just say that we'll, we'll discuss this and I will update everyone as to, as to what the conversation is tomorrow. Pearson: Okay. Another one that I see, one that I use often when I'm going to Wal- Mart is coming up, you have it off of Wyoming, then Gladys, but then Boise connects up to here and, connects up to Triviz, so I use that piece right there which we could do a green, green connection. Curry: Gladys to Triviz. Pearson: Well its Boise is the street. That's what I would suggest marking Boise as green there. Wray: Okay. Pearson: Which would, Missouri certainly is a ... Wray: We, we can certainly ... Pearson: Less. Wray: We can certainly, we can certainly add Boise. Shearer: And you had the problems, you're (inaudible) had in contacting me. What I will do is draw on a map, provide you with a map which shows the corrected roads on the campus in my estimation. Wray: Mr. Chair, Mr. Shearer. Okay, we can do that. Do please keep in mind and I'm trying to say this as tactfully as possible, that staff may not agree 13 I with your estimation of the NMSU facilities, so please do keep that in 2 mind. 3 4 Shearer: The bike lanes certainly the full length of Stewart, but bike lines which 5 have been there for eight years now would establish them as being more 6 than somewhat suitable, I would hope. 7 8 Pearson: Any further discussion? 9 10 Nunez: I was looking through and trying to find somethings that might be helpful, 11 so if we are going to wait a month then I might have a couple of 12 comments. I, 1 was thinking of some ideas but I don't want the map to get 13 too busy. I mean in, all the way back to the beginning about your 14 comments Ms. Curry that, about the red trail, you might add a couple of Xs 15 on there. I, 1 don't know. What, what do you think Andrew? Or a better 16 way to help with the color code? 17 18 Wray: We're certainly open to any and all suggestions, so if you have some 19 ideas just please do try to get them to us in a timely manner. 20 21 Nunez: Sure, okay. And then what else did I write down? Let's see. Oh in terms 22 of like the small section that you mentioned at Picacho on Valley that's 23 shown red now, how would, are you, would you go ahead and just for that 24 small section of a block or two would you just actually change the color or 25 would you want or try to put in a shared lane for just a small section of the 26 road, signs and painting or anything like that? 27 28 Wray: Mr. Nunez the, the MPO itself wouldn't have the ability to do that, we 29 would have to go through the City of Las Cruces or potentially the NMDOT 30 since that's a DOT. 31 32 Nunez: Right, right. 33 34 Wray: That's a DOT facility at that point. I get so confused just to where it 35 becomes a City facility. But I, 1 don't want to commit to anything that, that 36 MPO staff might or might not do with regard to that segment. I personally 37 am most in favor of the way it is currently, personally. 38 39 Nunez: Right. 40 41 Wray: But we will, we will discuss various alternatives and my opinion may be 42 overruled so. 43 44 Nunez: Yeah, yeah, that's fine. I'm just trying to look towards a couple of possible 45 solutions you know and, and then whenever you do have maybe a 46 suggestion like that then you may come back to like the Las Cruces or in 14 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 this case DOTs traffic department and ask them to make some labeled shared lanes if you can. I, 1 don't know. I'm, you follow me or, or not? Wray: Yes I do. We're, we're open to any and all improvements of bicycling suitability throughout the area. We realize it is kind of a, an ongoing process in many areas where it's, you, you are able to improve some, it's kind of like a phased project, you're able to improve some areas at one time and then others later one, so you just, we just have to keep in mind the places that need improvement. Nunez: Okay. Thanks. Pearson: Any other comments? Curry: Yes Mr. Chair. I have one more question here on the south, on the southern inset, Las Alturas/Stern it's both marked orange and red, would you be able to clarify that? Wray: I have no idea. That is my professional opinion. Pearson: It looks like it may be one direction (inaudible) and one direction. Wray: The, the, there is no frontage road on the east side of 1-10 along, so I, 1 do not know why that happened. Pearson: Well 1-1 Os right down the middle there. Wray: Yes. Bencomo: Dirt road on that side? Wray: There's no road at all in many places. So we will definitely look into that. I'm not sure why that happened. It probably is a mapping, is a GIS error of some sort. It did something weird. Curry: Thank you. Bencomo: Mr. Chair, Mr. Wray. So I have, for maybe I'm missing something, for Picacho, I mean Valley Drive from Picacho down to Bruins even out past that it's at, at least suitable. There's bike lanes there correct, when they redid that, what is the ... Wray: That is probably considered least suitable because of speed issues. Bencomo: Okay, because ... 15 I UNKNOWN: (inaudible). 2 3 Bencomo: Is it only. Okay. Okay cause it, it's less suitable than this part of Valley 4 Drive which there's nothing out there. That's why I'm confused. 5 6 Herrera: Mr. Chair. I do agree with that comment. I think that although the speed 7 is somewhat higher maybe on the other side of Valley Drive, the part with 8 the shared lane, the point is there is a shared lane whereas, you're right 9 there isn't anything on the other side, not yet. So I'd be curious just as to 10 why that decision was made. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious. 11 12 Pearson: By the next time we do the map we'll have nice green line down Valley 13 from that part. 14 15 Curry: Not a purple one? 16 17 Pearson: Oh, purple. I wonder if the purple actually is kind of confusing (inaudible) 18 that it's not green. Green, green is naturally ... 19 20 Wray: The purple is actually supposed to be blue so we obviously have some 21 problems there. 22 23 Pearson: Any other comments? 24 25 Nunez: Well I'll say it. On your, is, I mean you talk the river but are you going to 26 include or is it include the Llorona Path? Do you have anything for that? 27 28 Wray: The Llorona Path is there. 29 30 Nunez: Okay, got it. Thanks. 31 32 Shearer: Rio Grande River Trail Path still (inaudible). 33 34 Pearson: Okay, last call? 35 36 7. COMMITTEE AND STAFF COMMENTS 37 38 7.1 Local Projects update 39 40 Pearson: Move onto our next thing. Okay our next item is local projects updates. 41 Anything from the City of Las Cruces? 42 43 Nunez: The, if we look at the minutes we just approved actually, pull out page 30 44 and there was discussion that I'd mentioned last time about in August 45 from, we should be done with the section on El Paseo from Boutz to 46 Farney will be shared lane. And then also mentioned was the Locust 16 section from, I just drew a blank on the name of the school there, but 2 heading north all the way up to Missouri. 3 4 Curry: University Hills. 5 6 Nunez: Right. Right. They'll extend that where it currently it has three lanes and 7 we'll extend that to the, with the center turning lane and that'll have a, a 8 bike pass. 9 10 Pearson: Right. I think that's already there but it's going to be ... 11 12 Nunez: Restriped. 13 14 Pearson: Restriped or resurfaced because you did the project from University up to 15 that point and very nice and smooth asphalt there now so. The next piece 16 wasn't as bad as the other one was but it'll be nice to have that done 17 (inaudible). 18 19 Nunez: Right. And those are the two that I have. 20 21 Pearson: Okay. Nobody from the County here. Town of Mesilla staff, (inaudible) 22 staff any project updates? Okay. 23 24 7.2 NMDOT Projects update 25 26 Pearson: NMDOT project updates. 27 28 Herrera: Thank you Mr. Chair. Let's see the first project I'll talk about is the North 29 Main project. Unfortunately that one is behind schedule about a month. 30 There were a lot of issues with the utilities in that area; the water line 31 specifically. There were some gas lines just, there's, there's been a lot of 32 issues there. We've had good coordination with the City though and so 1 33 think a lot of those are resolved now. Hopefully we'll get back on track 34 with that one but we are about a month behind. It was scheduled to be 35 about a one-year project so it will be extended a little bit past that. So 36 there will be construction out there probably till the end of summer at least. 37 The Missouri bridge, the other side of that is going really well. 38 They're about a month ahead of schedule on that. The contractor has 39 actually told us that they plan to have it completed by Christmas which is 40 very early. They have three crews working 24/7 on the project now. 41 And then the other project that I want to mention , it's not under 42 construction now but it's the Union bridges on 1-10, it's the last two bridges 43 on 1-10 before you get to the 1-25 interchange, that one did let a couple of 44 months ago. The contractor received an award letter on March 23rd. 1 45 believe they have a 60-day ramp -up time so we should be starting 46 construction on that sometime late summer. So we're really going to have 17 I to coordinate the traffic control between the Missouri bridge and those 2 bridges. So be looking for press releases and public meetings about how 3 that's all going to happen. 4 5 Wray: Mr. Chair, Ms. Herrera. And I apologize cause I should know the answer 6 to this question but when is the Solano and Main project supposed to be 7 ramping up? 8 9 Herrera: That one won't be obviously until we complete the portion that's under 10 construction now. It's scheduled to let May of 2016. 11 12 Wray: Okay so it's not ... 13 14 Herrera: So it's ... 15 16 Wray: Not what I was thinking. 17 18 Herrera: No it's next year, probably next fall. 19 20 Wray: Okay. Thank you. 21 22 Pearson: So the design work, the design work hasn't been done on that part yet 23 then, is that true? 24 25 Herrera: Yes, for Solano, it's that intersection there, yeah that's a ... 26 27 Pearson: I don't remember any meeting or thing on seeing what's, what's going to 28 happen with bicycle facilities or whatever. 29 30 Herrera: They did have a lot of public meetings. It, the design was actually done as 31 part of the North Main project that's under construction now. 32 33 Pearson: Okay so maybe that's why, that's why, it's really in my mind its one project 34 but you split it into two but the design was really done. 35 36 Herrera: Right. 37 38 Pearson: The first phase so. 39 40 Herrera: Right. 41 42 Pearson: Okay. 43 44 Herrera: Yeah, so there were public meetings. At that time design is 100% 45 complete so right now we're purchasing a piece of right-of-way there and 18 I then waiting for the fiscal year 2016 funding to be available before we can 2 put that one out the door. 3 4 Pearson: Okay. On the Missouri bridge project I know, I was at some of those 5 public meetings and there was a lot of discussion about bicycle facilities 6 and how things would fit in there. I wonder if you could bring us some 7 striping diagrams for that project, for the bicycle facilities so we can at 8 least be aware of what's going to happen because I think, from my 9 recollection is the bicycle facilities are going to drop ahead of the 10 intersections and then pick up after the intersections and so maybe we 11 just see what, make the Committee aware of things, what's going on in 12 there. 13 14 Herrera: I can certainly do that. I did talk to the project development engineer just 15 today about that project to get kind of an update. That portion is a City 16 street, we're not doing any upgrading of it. We're basically building the 17 bridges wide enough to accommodate the City's future plans for the 18 Missouri Road. 19 20 Pearson: So the Missouri piece actually is City constructed. 21 22 Herrera: Yes. 23 24 Pearson: Oh the City's designing that but the ... 25 26 Herrera: Yes. 27 28 Pearson: The pavement construction is under the same project really. 29 30 Herrera: Yes. 31 32 Pearson: Same contractor is doing it. 33 34 Herrera: Yes. 35 36 Pearson: So maybe we could ask the City or, well it's the contractor really that we 37 need to find out. 38 39 Herrera: Right. We do have the plans in our plan set. I just want, wanted to make 40 this Committee aware that if you do have comments on what you'd like to 41 see out there, that is a City street so that would need to go through the 42 City. But basically the, what's going to be down there now is just a, a 43 wider outer lane. 44 45 Pearson: Right. 46 19 Herrera: There aren't any bike facilities under the bridge, but it is going to be wide 2 enough to accommodate all of the things that the City wants to do to 3 include four lanes and bike lanes and ... 4 5 Pearson: Cause I've already heard comments about the City maybe changing 6 things after they take back control of the project after it's finished. 7 8 Herrera: Right. And that's possibly true. Were there any other questions? I guess 9 1 can give just a brief update on Valley Drive. We're still in the very 10 preliminary stages of that. There was a draft phase A report that was put 11 on internally. I'm not sure when the next meeting will be but this 12 committee is a stakeholder, Mr. Pearson is invited to those meetings as a 13 stakeholder for, for the BPAC Committee. And I have asked the project 14 development engineer to, once they kind of narrow down alternatives to 15 provide a presentation to this committee about what they're looking at 16 doing there. I have looked at the report, there's some really neat, 17 interesting ideas in there including buffered bike lanes and separate paths. 18 There's, there's a lot of really cool things there. 19 20 Pearson: Lots of opportunity because of the right-of-way there. 21 22 Herrera: Right it's so wide. 23 24 Pearson: Maybe when the City does its portion those opportunities might not all be 25 there but still it'd be good to get those ideas pushed through. 26 27 Herrera: Right. 28 29 Curry: Which portion of the, thank you, which portion of Valley Drive? From 30 Picacho South? 31 32 Herrera: It's going to be from Picacho to Avenida de Mesilla and then we're actually 33 picking up the piece on Avenida from the intersection of Valley Drive to 34 where the Avenida bridge project stops, so right there at McDonald's. So 35 the District 1 Engineer did agree to go ahead and connect that to Valley 36 Drive even though that that's not our piece of road so. 37 38 Pearson: Oh there is a piece that's not yours? 39 40 Herrera: There's a piece that's, that's, the City's right there but we're going to go 41 ahead and take care of it and connect the nice bike lanes to what we're 42 building now, or will be building in the future. 43 44 Pearson: Okay. I guess my comments, one of the thing, I was unfortunately late. 45 I'm sorry I missed this one. I had one comment on the minutes that 46 maybe we can just administratively change at some point, on page I think 20 I it was 35, yeah the State Bike/Ped/Equestrian Coordinator's name is 2 mentioned and her name is misspelled and she was very gracious and 3 attended our bike summit this past weekend, so I want to make sure that 4 it's "Kozub." Kozub. It's line 15 on page 35, Rosa Kozub. And I was 5 going to ask you in that section for Jolene it said "We didn't actually have 6 a really good turnout," but I thought we did have a good turnout for the 7 bike/ped discussion at the safety summit. 8 9 Herrera: I hope I didn't say that cause we did have a really good turnout. 10 11 Pearson: It says "we didn't" on line, on line nine there. 12 13 Herrera: Oh, well. 14 15 Pearson: So. 16 17 Herrera: Maybe I should've read the notes more closely because yeah that's totally 18 false. We had a great turnout for the bike ped safety summit. 19 20 Shearer: "We didn't" comma. 21 22 Nunez: "We didn't" comma. 23 24 Shearer: Actually we had a really good turnout. 25 26 Herrera: Well I'm, I'm very confusing when I speak. 27 28 Shearer: All though members (inaudible). 29 30 Herrera: Oh there were probably at least 35, 40 people maybe. 31 32 Shearer: I think we really had an input into the draft phase of that plan that then did 33 get reflected in the later draft at the safety summit meeting. 34 35 Herrera: Yeah that is one thing I do have to say that those, every, all of the 36 suggestions, well not every single one, but a lot of them, the majority were 37 incorporated into the final draft so. 38 39 Shearer: So just to clarify you're recommending remove, (inaudible) just to clarify 40 on line nine I would strike "we didn't" and start line 10 with "actually" and 41 that would make the contents of the paragraph corrected. 42 43 Pearson: Okay and other things that we've talked about in the past are bike/ped 44 metrics. I, I'll just say what I have to say since this isn't the discussion 45 item, maybe we can talk about this at a later time. I've seen where the, 1 46 think it's the U.S. Department of Transportation is doing some pilot 21 projects in like 10 MPOs for bike/ped metrics for traffic counting. There's 2 a national bicycle and pedestrian documentation project with annual 3 counts on September 14th through 20th. We talked about Roadrunner 4 Transit counting, counting the buses, you know bicycles that get put on 5 buses and bicycles that can't get put on buses and we always ask about 6 automated traffic counting, so maybe I guess what I'd really like for us, for 7 us to consider is a discussion of maybe participating in the national bike 8 and pedestrian documentation project this year, it falls in September which 9 is after we've taken somewhat of a break, but if we start planning early 10 enough maybe we can get some participation from the university, but 11 that's. 12 13 Wray: Thank you Mr. Chair. Right now we are wrapped up in the MTP so it's not 14 an issue that is going to be appearing on an agenda at least until July, 1 15 can guarantee that. But I will say that we are looking into, in fact within 16 the past couple of weeks we were looking at some specific products as far 17 as bike counters, quite possibly permanent bike counters to install on 18 some of the trails. So we, we are working on this but right now we can't 19 really devote any dedicated focus to it. 20 21 Pearson: I think a July timeframe would be fine, just something to keep on the radar 22 and try to you know work. There's some mandates from the federal 23 government coming through for doing metrics so it's something that we, 24 anything that we can do to improve that that also benefits better 25 understanding how bicyclists travel in New Mexico, in Las Cruces. 26 27 Pacheco: On that same note ... 28 29 Wray: Mr. Pacheco, you're going to have to come up and speak into the mic. 30 31 Pearson: Okay, we're going to have public comment in a moment so we're going to 32 close this out and then we'll have public comment and then you can, you 33 can address this. 34 35 Pacheco: Okay. 36 37 Wray: Anyway Mr. Chair. We are having the, the conversation that you want to 38 have is something that staff is intending to have as soon as the MTP is 39 over. Our MTP does have a performance metric basis. Right now we are 40 very much in the process of, basically the MTP calls for us to start 41 developing the performance matrixes, so this is a conversation that we will 42 definitely be having in the, in the months and years to come. 43 44 Pearson: Okay. Thank you. Any other Committee members' comments? 45 22 I Shearer: I'd like to make a comment. One would be to add another microphone up 2 here would be helpful. But as far as the university goes, as far as 3 updates, since last time we've actually improved some of the roads on the 4 campus. We've added the pedestrian edges along our Arrowhead Street 5 from Wells to Stewart. In doing that we've created the bike lanes along 6 the length of that section. We added signage and we've added initial 7 sharos. We have sharos on the streets in Williams and Locust but we've 8 realized they weren't close as they should've been so we've added some 9 additional ones. We also corrected some of the lanes so that if you read 10 the (inaudible) that come up to the intersections. Thank you. 11 12 Nunez: 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Wray: Nunez Andrew, yeah could you elaborate for me a little bit, educate me a little bit. I know that you had some, what do you call them, bicycle counters, but I know that some of them you're talking about putting them in places that they can read accurately cause I heard that some of them located in certain areas wouldn't, and then if you don't or aren't able to accurately count I just heard something along the lines that federally mandated to do certain counts, would you have to do that with personnel or pay a company to do some of that? Mr. Nunez. Yes, possibly. I haven't heard anything about a federal mandate on that score. I may be in error though. Maybe I heard you wrong. I heard some sort of mandate. Wray: Well it's a, it's a mandate that we have to do performance metrics and this MPO was taking it upon itself to make cycling issues one of those metrics. So it, it is, but it's not specifically a federal mandate in that, in those terms that you said, at least as far as I am aware. We, I, 1 have no specific locations that I can give you as to where we might be putting the counters, the, the, we have looked at products that could potentially allow for permanent counters but beyond that the conversations not, it's not gone beyond that point so I don't really have anything concrete that I could offer you. The, the possibility of hiring a company to do that sort of counts for us is probably remote. We don't, I don't believe that MPO would have the budget to be able to do something like that. We could on a case by case and I unfortunately do have to say rare basis could put staff out for brief periods to physically count but we could not do it for a sustained period of time. 41 Nunez: No I, well okay I understand. You've answered my question. Based on 42 what you said first off and that is, is that I misunderstood the mandate so 1 43 thought since that's not the case then yeah it's answered, the rest of it's 44 answered. But we're, I know, and I understand that you guys are trying to 45 understand the bicycle counts and, well anyway you answered my 23 I question. If it's not a mandate and we're still doing the best we can. 2 Okay. 3 4 Pearson: Okay, I guess one other question I had is our membership, we had one 5 resignation and so that's going up. You put out a letter of interest and if 6 you could tell us what's happening. 7 8 Wray: We have had applications. I think at this time that's all I can say. 9 10 Pearson: You probably anticipate the, the Policy Committee appointing somebody 11 at their next regular meeting? 12 13 Wray: It will be on the May agenda. 14 15 Pearson: Any other Committee comments? 16 17 8. PUBLIC COMMENT 18 19 Pearson: Okay we'll move onto public comment. So any member of the public wish 20 to address us? Please come up here, we have a microphone. 21 22 Pacheco: Just a quick comment on the ... 23 24 Pearson: State your name first please. 25 26 Pacheco: Derrick Pacheco. Just a quick comment on the date but I think I answered 27 my own question and you helped clarify, just a strange date to pull out of 28 the air to talk about bike metrics. I was curious about the first day of 29 classes in the fall and how that would affect the, the metrics, but I looked it 30 up and it falls perfectly within the date. 31 32 Wray: Just to answer the question, or to provide some more context of the 33 question. Where would we, it would be kind of impossible for staff to be 34 able to examine that level of metric probably for this year. That would, 35 that's really a conversation that would need some time to develop, so 36 we're, we're going to be working on it as, as soon as we possibly can but 37 it's, it's going to take us a while to get to the point where we would like to 38 be I guess is probably the best way to say that. 39 40 Pearson: Okay. Any other members of the public? 41 42 Willman: My name is Lisa Willman. I was looking at this map. I don't understand 43 why you've got those red roads indicated as least suitable. To me it's 44 obvious they're not suitable. What I would be looking for as a visitor to 45 this community is the most suitable and only the most suitable. I probably 46 notice the least suitable driving into town. Also there are a lot of roads 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 marked especially out around Central Boulevard out off US 70 that every road is marked as green and it's a residential area, none of those roads go anywhere, and again if anyone is on a bicycle pedaling around out there it's pretty obvious what's, what road is suitable. If, again if I was looking, I don't ride my bike around town, I would like to be just pointed to the best way across town. That map is too busy for me. Wray: Well thank you for your, your comments. We have wrestled with specifically the red line issue over the course of time as to what to do with it. Staff's opinion is that it is important to continue to keep them present on the map because it is part of the road network and cyclists do have every right to be there, so we don't want to take it off in any sense that it would be encouraging of saying "don't go here" because that's not what we're, that's not the, the message that we're trying to convey with the map. Pearson: Yeah it's a problem with, it's a suitability map or is it a route finding map and I think those are two different things, and maybe we could encourage the City of Las Cruces to do a route finding map that would be more on line with many of the, like the City of Albuquerque, City of Santa Fe, Austin, San Francisco, Boston, you know on and on and on, all these cities have done bicycle maps which is different than what this map is. Okay, any further comments? 9. ADJOURNMENT (6:00 p.m.) Pearson: So I'll call for motion to adjourn. Shearer: I'll move to adjourn. Herrera: Second. Pearson: All in favor "aye." MOTION PASSED UNANIMOUSLY. Pearson: We're adjourned. Chairperson .Pec�—._ 25