Loading...
05-03-18 TACI MESILLA VALLEY METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION 2 TECHNICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE 3 4 The following are minutes for the meeting of the Technical Advisory Committee of the 5 Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) which was held May 3, 2018 6 at 4:00 p.m. in Commission Chambers at Dona Ana County Government Building, 845 7 Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico. 8 9 MEMBERS PRESENT: Mike Bartholomew (CLC Transit) 10 Todd Gregory proxy for Sean Barham (LCPS) 11 Michael Garza (DAC Flood Commission) 12 Soo Gyu Lee (CLC) 13 Yvonne Tellez proxy for Dale Harrell (NMSU) 14 Jolene Herrera (NMDOT) 15 Debbie Lujan (Town of Mesilla) (Arrived 4:11) 16 Rene Molina (DAC Eng.) 17 Jack Younker proxy Larry Shannon (Town of Mesilla) 18 (Arrived 4:11) 19 Jennifer Yoder (CLC Public Works) 20 21 MEMBERS ABSENT: David Armijo (SCRTD) 22 Bill Childress (BLM) 23 Harold Love (NMDOT) 24 Luis Marmolejo (DAC Planning) 25 Ana R. Donohue (EBID) 26 27 STAFF PRESENT: Tom Murphy (MPO Staff) 28 Andrew Wray (MPO Staff) 29 Michael McAdams (MPO Staff) 30 Dominic Loya (MPO) 31 32 OTHERS PRESENT: Becky Baum, RC Creations, LLC, Recording Secretary 33 34 1. CALL TO ORDER (4:00 PM) 35 36 Garza: All right so we'll go ahead and call the May 3, 2018 meeting of the MPO 37 Technical Advisory Committee to order. Let's start by having a roll call. 38 We'll start at my far right. 39 40 Gregory: Todd Gregory, Las Cruces Public Schools. 41 42 Yoder: Jennifer Yoder. 43 44 Molina: Rene Molina, Dona Ana County Engineering. 45 46 Tellez: Yvonne Tellez, New Mexico State University, proxy for Dale Harrell. 1 1 2 Herrera: Jolene Herrera, NMDOT. 3 4 Terrazas: Hector Terrazas, City of Las Cruces Traffic Engineer. 5 6 Bartholomew: Mike Bartholomew, City of Las Cruces RoadRUNNER Transit. 7 8 Garza: And we're getting one more here. I'm Michael Garza, I'm the Vice -Chair of 9 the Committee, serving as Chair for Harold Love today. Go head with the 10 roll call right here. 11 12 Lee: Soo Gyu Lee, City of Las Cruces. 13 14 Garza: That everyone? All right. 15 16 2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA 17 18 Garza: Next we'll go to item two, approval of the agenda. Has everyone had a 19 chance to look it over? Looking for a motion. 20 21 Herrera: Move to approve. 22 23 Molina: Second. 24 25 Garza: All in favor. 26 27 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 28 29 Garza: Motion carries. 30 31 3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES 32 33 3.1 April 5, 2018 34 35 Garza: Next item, approval of the minutes from the April 5, 2018 meeting. We 36 have any questions or corrections on that? If not, looking for a motion. 37 38 Molina: Move to approve. 39 40 Herrera: Second. 41 42 Garza: Motion carries. 43 44 4. PUBLIC COMMENT 45 46 Garza: Moving on to item number four, public comment. Seeing none. 2 1 2 5. ACTION ITEMS 3 4 5.1 Federal Fiscal Year 2019 and 2020 Unified Planning Work Program 5 (UPWP) 6 7 Garza: We'll move to item number five, looks like we have two action items today, 8 the first of which being 5.1 the Federal Fiscal Year 2019 and 2020 Unified 9 Planning Work Program. 10 11 TOM MURPHY GAVE HIS PRESENTATION. 12 13 Garza: Does anybody have anything? If not, then if there are no questions or 14 comments we'll look for a motion to recommend for approval as presented 15 to the MPO Policy Committee. 16 17 Gregory: I'll make a motion that we accept it. 18 19 Bartholomew: I'll second. 20 21 Garza: All in favor. 22 23 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 24 25 Garza: Opposed? Seeing none. Motion carries. 26 27 Murphy: Thank you. 28 29 5.2 Amendments to the 2018-2023 Transportation Improvement Program 30 31 Garza: We'll move onto item 5.2, the section action item which is the amendments 32 to the 2018-2023 Transportation Improvement Program. 33 34 ANDREW WRAY GAVE HIS PRESENTATION. 35 36 Garza: Anybody have anything? Questions, concerns? Seeing none. Then I'm 37 going to go ahead and look for a motion to approve the amendments to 38 the TIP and recommend approval to MPO Policy Committee. 39 40 Molina: So moved. 41 42 Garza: All in favor. 43 44 Wray: We need a second Mr. Chair. 45 46 Garza: Sorry. 3 1 2 Bartholomew: I'll second. 3 4 Garza: Now all in favor. 5 6 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 7 8 Garza: Opposed? Motion carries. 9 10 Wray: Thank you Mr. Chair. 11 12 6. DISCUSSION ITEMS 13 14 6.1 Pedestrian safety - FHWA training information 15 16 Garza: So we will go ahead and move onto 6.1 the discussion items, pedestrian 17 safety. 18 19 MICHAEL MCADAMS GAVE HIS PRESENTATION. 20 21 Garza: Thank you. 22 23 McAdams: Thank you too. 24 25 Garza: So seeing no questions or comments. 26 27 7. COMMITTEE AND STAFF COMMENTS 28 29 7.1 City of Las Cruces, Dona Ana County, Town of Mesilla, Las Cruces 30 Public Schools, RoadRUNNER Transit, SCRTD Project Updates 31 32 Garza: We'll go ahead and move to item number seven, committee and staff 33 comments. We'll start with 7.1, City of Las Cruces. 34 35 Yoder: The City of Las Cruces, some of the projects that we're working on right 36 now, we've just put out for bid Harrelson which involves Union which is an 37 NMDOT highway. The extension of Roadrunner the bids have just been 38 opened and that's in the process of getting awarded. And the City just 39 completed a public meeting for Main Street where we're redesigning from 40 Idaho to Boutz where we're looking at a road diet for that section. And 41 that's it. 42 43 Garza: Thank you. Dona Ana County. 44 45 Molina: So we've got two projects. We're working on Soledad Canyon, we're at 46 90% phase of design. We're looking at moving into construction in the Ll 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 next Federal Fiscal Year, so September. And then also the other one is Dona Ana School Road where we're working on it as we speak and we should be at our last PS&E I hope this month and then we'll move forward into construction. Thank you. Garza: Town of Mesilla. Lujan: No projects at this time. Garza: LCPS. Gregory: Yes, so we've wrapped up our third grade curriculum on bicycle safety and pedestrian safety. We just had our bike fiesta at Lynn Middle School which is our community school and it was kind of concurrent with an activity that was going on at Young Park. It was a great success. We had a lot of supporters, a lot of donations, and we're able to fix a lot of bikes, get helmets, lots of bike blender smoothies which were good. And then we presented to the school work session this last Tuesday, it was just a Safe Routes to School update to all the board members and the community. And then we're preparing for the National Bike to School day which will run May 2 through May 17 and that's approximately 23 of our elementary schools, it's a pretty big event and that's kind of how we close out the year, give out a lot of stuff so it's pretty busy month. Garza: Thank you. Do we have RoadRUNNER Transit? Bartholomew: Projects that we have coming up is we've already received some funding to put together an all battery electric bus project. We're hoping to get five buses out of that. The FTA recently announced it's new Low/No program and the City plans on applying for that to get an additional three battery electric buses. Also the USDOT has announced, well it used to be called TIGER, I guess it's called Build now and the City's going to be applying for funding to build our operations and maintenance facility out near the joint Utilities facility on Motel Boulevard. We did initiate some route changes at the very end of March that seem to be well received by the public, and then we also have in our budget for budget request to City Council for next year to extend our weekday hours of service from 7:00 p.m. to end at 10:30 p.m. in the evening for bus service. That's all I have. Garza: Thank you. South Central Regional Transit. No. 7.2 NMDOT Projects Update Garza: Moving on to 7.2, NMDOT. 5 I Herrera: Thank you Mr. Chair. We don't have any projects currently under 2 construction right now, if you can believe it. We will have Valley Drive 3 under construction very soon, we're in the award process for that. 4 Reviewing bids still, but we hope to have construction started on that by 5 probably end of July. And that one is going to be 340 working days, so it's 6 going to take an entire year. It's going to be busy. 7 In design we have the University/1-25 interchange. It's about 90% 8 designed. It's scheduled to open for bids in October of this year, and that 9 also will be a huge project. This Committee just approved more funding 10 so it's a $41 million project now. My guess is it will probably take just 11 about a year to construct. That's all we really have going on right now 12 unless there are any questions. 13 14 Garza: Nope. 15 16 7.3 MPO Staff Projects Update 17 18 Garza: We'll move on to 7.3, MPO staff. 19 20 Murphy: Okay, just two real quick ones. We are accepting comments on our public 21 participation plan update. It's live on our website. We're required to 22 update that prior to updating the MTP process. The other announcement 23 is our offices will be moving, for those of you that are looking to track us 24 down physically, we'll no longer be on the first floor of City Hall, we'll be on 25 the third floor of City Hall. City decided we needed to be in a different 26 spot. That'll be effective May 20th. 27 28 Garza: Thank you. 29 30 8. PUBLIC COMMENT 31 32 Garza: So we'll go ahead and move on to item #8, public comment. Seeing none. 33 34 9. ADJOURNMENT (4:44 PM) 35 36 Garza: We'll go ahead and move to item nine, adjournment. Looking for a motion. 37 38 Herrera: So moved. 39 40 Gregory: I'll second. 41 42 Garza: All in favor. 43 44 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 45 46 Garza: We are adjourned. Have a good evening everyone. 2 6 Cha -be