Loading...
08-02-18 TAC1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 MESILLA VALLEY METROPOLITAN PLANNING ORGANIZATION TECHNICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE The following are minutes for the meeting of the Technical Advisory Committee of the Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) which was held August 2, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. in the City of Las Cruces Council Chambers, 700 N. Main, Las Cruces, New Mexico. MEMBERS PRESENT: David Armijo (SCRTD) Mike Bartholomew (CLC Transit) (arrived 4:09) Michael Garza (DAC Flood Commission) Soo Gyu Lee (CLC) Jolene Herrera (NMDOT) Harold Love (NMDOT) Rene Molina (DAC Eng.) Larry Shannon (Town of Mesilla) Tony Trevino (CLC Public Works) MEMBERS ABSENT: STAFF PRESENT: Sean Barham (LCPS) Bill Childress (BLM) Dale Harrell (NMSU) Debbie Lujan (Town of Mesilla) Luis Marmolejo (DAC Planning) Hector Tarrazas, (CLC) Jennifer Yoder (CLC) Tom Murphy (MPO Staff) Andrew Wray (MPO Staff) Michael McAdams (MPO Staff) Debra Fuller (MPO) OTHERS PRESENT: Greg Shervanick Ceci Vasconvellos Craig White Becky Baum, RC Creations, LLC, Recording Secretary 1. CALL TO ORDER (4:00 PM) Love: Okay, we'll go ahead and get started. This is the August 2, 2018 meeting of the Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization Technical Advisory Committee. We'll start with a roll call starting to my far right: Armijo: Good afternoon. David Armijo, SCRTD. Shannon: Larry Shannon, Town of Mesilla. I Wray: Mr. Armijo will you please turn off your mic, only two mics can be active. 2 Thank you. 3 4 Trevino: Tony Trevino, City of Las Cruces Public Works. 5 6 Molina: Rene Molina, Dona Ana County Engineering. 7 8 Soo: Soo Gyu Lee, City of Las Cruces Public Works. 9 10 Garza: Michael Garza, Dona Ana County Flood Commission. 11 12 Herrera: Jolene Herrera, NMDOT planning. 13 14 Bartholomew: Mike Bartholomew, City of Las Cruces Roadrunner Transit. 15 16 Love: And I'm Harold Love with New Mexico DOT and Chairman of the 17 Technical Advisory Committee. 18 19 2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA 20 21 Love: Next item is approval of the agenda. We have a change, item 5.2 will be 22 deleted and so with that we are looking for approval of the agenda with 23 that correction. 24 25 Bartholomew: I move we approve the agenda as corrected. 26 27 Herrera: I second. 28 29 Love: All in favor. 30 31 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 32 33 Love: Motion passes. 34 35 3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES 36 37 3.1 June 7, 2018 38 39 Love: Next is the approval of minutes. Looking for a recommendation to 40 approve. 41 42 Garza: Motion to approve. 43 44 Bartholomew: Second. 45 46 Love: All in favor. 2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. Love: Motion approved. 4. PUBLIC COMMENT Love: Item number four, public comment. Seeing none. 5. ACTION ITEMS 5.1 Mesilla Valley MPO Public Participation Plan Love: We will move on to item number five action items; 5.1, Mesilla Valley MPO Public Participation Plan. ANDREW WRAY GAVE HIS PRESENTATION. Love: Any questions/comments? Bartholomew: With this recommendation now is this going to be going then to the Policy Committee this month, or would you wait until Title VI Plan was done? Wray: Mr. Chair, Mr. Bartholomew. That is an excellent question. Because of the delay with Title VI, we are going to push adoption of both documents to the October Policy Committee meeting. Bartholomew: Okay, so if we approve it now, are there still other vetting processes before? Wray: The public comment period for the document does not really closed until the Policy Committee give a final yeah on it, so yes there is continual vetting. Bartholomew: Okay. I have to admit that I didn't get a chance to read through it all in the new one, I know, but it does still include the language, because we use the MPO as our PPP process as well and so when advertising is done it has to state that it meets the FTA requirements. Wray: I believe that is in there, but by all means check the document to make sure that the language in there meets your criteria and if not we will get it in there, but I believe Ms. Herrera is. Bartholomew: Thank you. Okay and then the other question I have is you were talking about the LEP populations, have you identified specifically how you might 3 I reach out to them, I know we had to do that in our LEP plan for 2 Transit. 3 4 Wray: The MPO does not at this point have an official LEP plan per se, we have 5 policy statements, but I wouldn't categorize. They exist in kind of various 6 documents. I wouldn't categorize as an LEP plan, it is my expectation that 7 the MPO will have to develop such a plan sometime in the relatively near 8 future, but as of right now such a document does not exist in one coherent 9 form. 10 11 Bartholomew: So it for your Title VI requirements it's not required to be part of the Title 12 IV? 13 14 Wray: There is LEP language required in the Title VI plan which we will be 15 including in the draft that we will be presenting next month. But again, 1 16 would not classify the various policy statements that we've got that 17 existing kind of across three different documents as one coherent plan. 18 I'm not sure if I'm answering your question well I am afraid. 19 20 Bartholomew: Basically our plan is basically like a chapter of the Title VI plan that we 21 have to submit, it's essentially a section of it. I just was just curious if that 22 was how you had to provide it for your final plan. 23 24 Wray: We have not received specific guidance yet. But as I said I'm expecting 25 that such guidance will be forthcoming. 26 27 Bartholomew: Okay. And just to comment like we had to put things like specially how 28 we would outreach to LEP populations, looking at getting information out 29 for example through the Diocese and things like that because they have 30 contact with individuals that may have, that was a big one to use those 31 kinds of resources in the community. 32 33 Wray: Thank you. 34 35 Bartholomew: That's all I had. 36 37 Herrera: Mr. Chair. I'd like to sort of answer one of the questions. So although the 38 MPO doesn't have an LEP plan, Andrew and I have discussed in the Title 39 VI Plan translating the complaint form into Spanish and then also the Title 40 VI Policy Statement itself into to Spanish and having that available. So 41 not the entire plan, but at least the Policy Statement. Andrew, the other 42 thing I think that you guys do a really good job at as far as outreach to the 43 maybe minority communities is through the Empowerment Congress, and 44 so maybe you can add some things about that because you're already 45 doing that and so I think that that speaks a little bit to outreach. And then 46 the other thing I will say is that the El Paso MPO has a limited English IH I Proficiency Plan and they have some very specific techniques in there that 2 they use and so maybe between now and then we can look at that see if 3 there's anything that can maybe be added or things that can translate over 4 to this MPO. That is all Mr. Chair. 5 6 Love: Any other comments? Go ahead. 7 8 Armijo: I have a question, just kind of refresh my memory, when was the last time 9 that we did an update on the MPO plan like this for public discussion? 10 11 Wray: Mr. Chair, Mr. Armijo. The current PPP that we are operating under as of 12 right now was in adopted in September 2013, so it's going to be 5 years. 13 14 Armijo: All right, so this is ultimately reflecting a lot of changes that have been in 15 the community for updates. Because I noticed there are some 16 inconsistency, I know that the El Paso MPO is doing up dates on their 17 2045 Plan. And a number of the public meetings I went to, there really 18 wasn't anyone available to do translation or other things, and some 19 meetings there were. So is that what you're ultimately hoping to do in the 20 public participation, have consistency built in? 21 22 Wray: We certainly do. We have historically had Spanish translator present, not 23 at all of our meetings, but at a number of meetings, especially in areas 24 where we know that there is a large portion of LEP persons in that area, 25 we have had a Spanish translator present with staff at those meetings. 26 27 Armijo: Okay. I haven't been on your MPO website in a while. I am trying to 28 remember, does it have a Spanish translation or any kind of translation on 29 the web? 30 31 Wray: There is not. Not to try to be giving excuses, but there is a certain cost 32 that is associated with that kind of service and as of yet we have not been 33 able to move in that direction I guess would be the best way to say it. 34 35 Armijo: We should get together. We do have that and we do have a process in 36 which we can actually see based on the hits, which ones it's going to. 37 That might be good to take a look at, maybe we can be your guinea pig for 38 that. I can get you together with my IT people on that and we might learn 39 from each other. Because I don't think we're perfect and not everything in 40 there is perfectly translated. So most of the infrastructure portions of it 41 allows you in the system to go from English to Spanish, but then is that the 42 only one that we should be doing? So I think this is a learning process 43 here. So happy to work with you on that. 44 45 Wray: Thank you. 46 5 1 Bartholomew: I had another comment to add onto David's. Even though it is not a 2 perfect translation process, know what the City of Las Cruces has done is 3 they've added that Google Translate Widget to their website. And while 4 Google translate you have to take it with a grain of salt sometimes, I would 5 say that the Spanish translations are getting much more sophisticated and 6 better with the Google Widget, tool, whatever you call it, bot that you put 7 on. But I know the City of Las Cruces site has that, and so that will 8 actually translate the whole page. 9 10 Love: Any other comments or questions? Are we looking for a motion to 11 approve? 12 13 Wray: Yes Mr. Chair. 14 15 Bartholomew: I move that we approve the 2018 MPO Public Participation Plan. 16 17 Herrera: I second. 18 19 Love: All in favor? 20 21 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 22 23 Love: Plan is approved. 24 25 6. DISCUSSION ITEMS 26 27 6.1 MTP Amendment of Removal of Segments from Truck Route Map 28 29 Love: Move on to item number six, discussion item, 6.1 MTP Amendment of 30 Removal of Segments from Truck Route maps. MPO Staff. 31 32 ANDREW WRAY GAVE HIS PRESENTATION. 33 34 Lee: You know the City of Las Cruces really would like to remove all the truck 35 routes in the Downtown area because as you know the Downtown 36 reconstruction does not allow big trucks easy to maneuver. That is the 37 main reason we would like to get rid of this route from our MPO map. And 38 then also it will cause a lot of unsafe situations, that's the main reason we 39 would like to get rid of from our MPO map. The Melendres one it's 40 actually a path through the residential area. Some of the area it's kind of 41 next to, the majority of the area is a residential area so it is not really 42 appropriate to using as a truck route. If you have any questions, I will 43 answer for you. 44 45 Shannon: Are any of these State roads? 46 on 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Lee: It's all City streets. Shannon: I'm sorry. Lee: It is all City streets. Shannon: Okay. Love: Does the City plan on putting up appropriate signage once this gets passed and approved? Lee: Yes, we're planning to replace all the signs accordingly after it has been approved. Love: Any other comments or questions? Bartholomew: I was just wondering Andrew if you could go back to the map a second maybe. It was the highlighted streets that were designated as truck routes you're eliminating is that? Wray: Yes, these routes here. Bartholomew: Oh the purple one. I see it. Wray: Yes. Just sort of explain the map a little more. Bartholomew: I just needed to digest that map. Wray: The purple lines are the truck routes. The red lines here, these routes are already restricted. And the ones that are under consideration are the ones that sort of have the highlight around the line on the map. Bartholomew: Thank you. Love: Any other questions or comments? 7. COMMITTEE AND STAFF COMMENTS 7.1 City of Las Cruces, Dona Ana County, Town of Mesilla, Las Cruces Public Schools, RoadRUNNER Transit, SCRTD Project Updates Love: We'll move on to item number seven, committee comments, starting with the City of Las Cruces Trevino: We have no updates at this point. 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 Love: Dona Ana County Molina: Yes, we've got two projects that I wanted to bring to attention on this forum. Basically Dona Ana Road and Camino Real intersection, we're looking at going out to bid soon after we get approval from DOT after October 2018. And then Soledad Canyon we are going out to bid on that one on October 2018 as well, moving into construction sometime in January. Thank you. Love: Town of Mesilla. Shannon: Nothing to report. Love: Let's see, Las Cruces Public Schools, not here. RoadRUNNER Transit. Bartholomew: I think I pretty much did some of the updates the last time, but we did submit under our build program for our Maintenance and Operations Center which would be off of Westgate near where the joint utilities facility is for the City. We're also going to be submitting a State of Good Repair Grant for the same project just to try to double our chances to get the funding, so it will be a similar project for that. We previously submitted another Low No grant to get some additional electric buses. The City Council did approve in May in their Fiscal Year 2019 budget to expand the service hours of routes on weekdays; currently end at 7 p.m. and we'll be going on weekdays until 7:30 p.m. We anticipate because it was only funded 75% by the time we get everyone hired in October and trained and everything it will probably closer to the beginning of the new calendar year before we actually implement it. Love: South Central RTD. Armijo: Good afternoon. Monday we begin the believe it or not, fall service for the kids, they're actually coming back to school next week. A lot of Charter Schools and so we're making some adjustments. Included in that is we're actually rolling out a new bus facility that we've acquired as a use facility in Anthony and it is right across the street from out Transit Facility (inaudible), so it'll make it a little bit easier to make connections. With the majority of our routes kind of in the southern part of Dona Ana County will be easier to respond to service in the field. So that will be a big thing for us, so we'll actually roll out our buses out of there. We'll still keep two routes and a couple of buses up here in Las Cruces that are maintenance contracts with STS and so we'll see where that goes. Process is still going forward to look at whether or not we might begin to run some service after the first of the year in Sierra County. We are getting another bus in our 5310 Grant that we think we could use for that, so that's a little ways off but we're not sure when Hatch service will start, but I guess we'll know 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 after the election and were next year's budget goes. But things are looking pretty good for us. Ridership has continued to go up, we had a record month last month, we just missed 3,000 rides for the month, still running pretty much on five buses so that's a lot of people riding on those little buses, but we are doing good. Thank you. 7.2 NMDOT Projects Update Love: New Mexico DOT project update. Herrera: Thank you Mr. Chair. We just have the one project going on right now on Valley Drive. Currently the contractors are working on storm drain and sewer lines, so underground utilities, and that is being coordinated with the City. And we have about a year on this project, so there are monthly project meetings at the NMDOT facility on Solano if you are interested and I believe the MPO posts those or sends out our press releases. They're normally on the third Thursday of the month but it's not 100% guaranteed that they'll be that day. We like to give a least a couple weeks' notice though, so that's posted ahead of time should you have any questions during the construction. Bartholomew: I just had a question. Have they let the one for University and 1-25 yet? Herrera: Great question. No, that project is still under development. We are almost at PS&E, it actually goes up to Santa Fe for final checks later this month and it's on schedule to let in October. So we're looking at construction starting probably early 2019, January/February time frame. 7.3 MPO Staff Projects Update Love: MPO staff updates. Wray: Thank you Mr. Chair. I would like to remind everyone on the Committee that there are ongoing open call for projects; the Transportation Alternatives Program and the Recreational Trails Program. The deadline for final submittal of all documents to the MPO is September 28th. However, that being said, the project feasibility form is due to MPO staff as soon as possible. We have meetings with NMDOT staff that we need to arrange and this is a requirement in order for the application to even be accepted by DOT at all. So a reminder to everyone on that, that time is slipping away from us. Also, lastly MPO staff is very happy to say that we now have a new Planning Technician to replace Mr. Loya. Her name is Debra Fuller, I believe she has introduced herself to most of you, and staff is very happy to have her and we look forward to working with her in the future. 1 8. PUBLIC COMMENT 2 3 Love: Public comment? Seeing none. 4 5 9. ADJOURNMENT (4:33 PM) 6 7 Love: Looking for a motion to adjourn. 8 9 Bartholomew: I move we adjourn 10 11 Herrera: Second. 12 13 Love: All in favor. 14 15 MOTION PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. 16 17 Love: We are adjourned. 18 19 20 21 22 23 10