Loading...
02242021 DRAFT UCAG MEETING MINUTES Utilities Customer Advisory Group Minutes for the Meeting on February 24, 2021 3:00 p.m. Utilities Center Conference Room 225 Committee Members Present City Staff Present Eugene Suttmiller, Chairman Delilah Walsh, Utilities Director Frank D. Gomez, Committee Member Jose Provencio, Deputy Director Business Paul Royalty, Committee Member Services Robert Snyder, Committee Member Domonique Rodriguez, Rates and Economic Analysis Manager Others: Mario Puentes, Gas Business Analyst None James Safford, Management Analysis Tanya Cereceres, Administrative Assistant Melissa Miranda, Office Assistant Senior Chair Suttmiller called the regular meeting to order at approximately 3:02 p.m. 1. Conflict of Interest: Chair Suttmiller: I need to ask if any member on the committee or any member of the City staff has a Conflict of Interest with any item on the agenda. Please say no and your name so we know we have a good record. And all votes, all motions or anything, please state your name. We'll do a roll call vote. And everybody needs to state their name and what your vote was. Okay. Snyder: I'll start. No. Royalty: N o. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Frank. Gomez: Here. Chair Suttmiller: Gomez: Frank Gomez. And I am at the meeting today for sure. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Do you have any conflicts of interest with anything on the agenda? Gomez: No, no conflict. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. I guess Ms. Walsh. Walsh: Mr. Chairman. No conflict for any staff. Utilities Customer Advisory Group Page 2 of 8 Regular Meeting Minutes February 24, 2021 Chair Suttmiller: Okay. There were none. 2. Acceptance of Agenda: Chair Suttmiller: Next items is Acceptance of the Agenda. Do I have a motion? Gomez: I do motion. Snyder: I'll second it. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Bob, you want to go first. Provencio: Chairman, Commissioners. This is a Jose Provencio, Deputy Director of Business Services. I believe you have to, for any meeting that we have with any committee or City function is the AG disclaimer, not disclaimer but procedural process for Zoom based meetings. Chair Suttmiller: Yes. I'm looking for it right now. I'm sorry. I'm not seeing that Jose. I'm sorry. Walsh: Joe, would you happen to have that statement handy? Provencio: Let me (inaudible). Tanya do you have that handy? Rivera: (inaudible) Provencio: Tanya. You're coming in garbled. Rivera: Sorry. Can you hear me better now? Chair Suttmiller: Yes we can. Rivera: Okay, I just resent it to you Mr. Suttmiller. It's on your e-mail if you want to read it straight from there. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. I can do that. Walsh: Mr. Suttmiller. Tanya could also read it into the record if you want her too. Rivera: Okay. 2 Utilities Customer Advisory Group Page 3 of 8 Regular Meeting Minutes February 24, 2021 Chair Suttmiller: Okay. I need to recite some guidance from the State of New Mexico considering that we are operating remotely. We need to remember that we need to announce the names of those members of the public body that are participating. As these members speak, they must identify themselves whenever they do speak, and members of the public are afforded remote access through weblink. If the audio or the video of this proceeding is interrupted, I need to suspend this session until the link is restored. All votes are by roll call. I do not know that we have a quorum. To begin I'm going to ask who is here, and we've already done that. So we should be able to move on right? Provencio: Yes, sir. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. So we were accepting the agenda. Snyder: And we have seconded it I believe. Chair Suttmiller: Motion was by Frank Gomez, second was by Robert Snyder. The Agenda was Accepted Unanimously 4-0. 3. Approval of Minutes: a. Regular Meeting Minutes of December 11, 2019 Chair Suttmiller: Okay, next would be accepting the previous Minutes from December 11, 2019. Gomez: W ish to except a minute. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Do I have a second? Royalty: I'll do a second. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. We'll do the vote now. Eugene Suttmiller aye. Snyder: Aye. Royalty: Aye. Gomez: Aye. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Great. The Minutes were Approved Unanimously 4-0. 4. Public Participation: 3 Utilities Customer Advisory Group Page 4 of 8 Regular Meeting Minutes February 24, 2021 Chair Suttmiller: Okay, the next is Public Participation. Do we have any public participation at this time? Apparently none. There was none. 5. Gas Rate Review: a. Timeline for the Gas Rate Review Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Gas Rate Review is next. And that'll be done Domonique I figure. Is that true? Rodriguez: Yes. Hi, Mr. Chair. This is Domonique Rodriguez, the Rate and Economic Analysis Manager. I have a presentation. Chair Suttmiller: Please continue. Rodriguez: We wanted to update you, the February 2021 update. T his was for what we originally planned the meeting that was unable to happen. T he consultant has been working on all aspects of the Rate Review. They have completed the Revenue Requirement, the Cost of Service, and the Rate Design. W e would like to meet with the UCAG Working Group in the next two weeks, if possible, for review. On the agenda there's some discussion about the Working Group, but I'd like to kind of go over what we're planning for the next steps for the Gas Rate Review. Chair Suttmiller: Okay, sounds good. Just do it. Rodriguez: Okay, for March 2021, we are hoping to bring the full package of the Gas Rate Review to the UCAG. Again, this would be contingent on when the Working Group meets to go over this. If they meet at the time that the UCAG then it may be pushed back, but this is the plan that we have right now. If we do come in March, then in April 2021, the UCAG will approve the PowerPoint presentation for public outreach, and then we will begin our public outreach. Chair Suttmiller: Excuse me, I've got a quick question for you. What would be our meeting date in March? Rodriguez: Chair. That would be March 10th it looks like, because we're the second Wednesday of the month. Chair Suttmiller: That's what, because I will be out of pocket from about the 19th of March until the end of April. (inaudible) down in Houston. 4 Utilities Customer Advisory Group Page 5 of 8 Regular Meeting Minutes February 24, 2021 Rodriguez: Okay. For May 2021 we are looking to update the UCAG based on the public outreach that we receive. T hen at that meeting, then the UCAG would discuss both for the recommendations for the Utilities Board. I have talked with our Community Engagement Coordinator and she's kind of already walked me through the way they're currently doing public outreach in this virtual world, so I do have some stuff already I'm working on to get it done. It does look like it will be more online and not the routine way that we've done it where we go to different places and we talk with customers. I will bring all of those details when you approve the PowerPoint presentation for public outreach. I'll have a plan laid out for you all to review and then to keep you updated on. Chair Suttmiller: Sounds good. Do you have any questions of her on that? Okay, please continue. Rodriguez: That is the end of my presentation. Chair Suttmiller: The next item is a timeline for the Gas Rate Review. According to the agenda I've got. We just finished five, and then at 5.1 is timeline. Okay that took care of it. 6. Other Items of Interest: Chair Suttmiller: Other Items of Interest. There was none. 7. Committee Member Discussion: a. Who Will be the members of the UCAG Working Group Chair Suttmiller: Committee Discussion. Okay, the first item is Who will be members of the UCAG working group? Do I have any volunteers? Royalty: I'd like to volunteer for that. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Anybody else? Snyder: I'll volunteer. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Thank you Bob. Does that meet your requirements Domonique? Rodriguez: Yes. I will coordinate through Tanya with you Mr. Royalty and you Mr. Snyder to get the Working Group scheduled. Royalty: Great. Chair Suttmiller: Okay, that takes care of that one. 5 Utilities Customer Advisory Group Page 6 of 8 Regular Meeting Minutes February 24, 2021 b. Resignation of Vice-Chair Chair Suttmiller: 7-2, we need to discuss the resignation of the Vice-Chair. The Vice-Chair moved out of the city and bought a new home out in county property so she had to resign, you can't be a member of a board unless you are a resident of Las Cruces. Royalty: Would you accept I guess a motion that we accept her resignation? Chair Suttmiller: Can we take action right after discussion or does it have to be on the next? I'm thinking it has to be for action on the next meeting. What do you say Alma? Ruiz: Good afternoon, Chair Suttmiller. This is Alma Ruiz, Senior Office Manager for the Utilities Department. Yes, on the agenda today was just the acknowledgement of the Vice-Chair. However, there can be a nomination for the Vice-Chair position, and then we can actually take action at the next meeting. If someone wants to think about it or suggestions, then you can take nominations at this point. Chair Suttmiller: Yes. My personal preference would be to march on now, not put it off. Is there anybody who would like to nominate somebody or somebody who would like to put themselves forward for the position? Gomez: I would like to nominate Paul Snyder for the post. Chair Suttmiller: Paul Snyder or Robert Snyder or Paul Royalty. Gomez: Sorry. Chair Suttmiller: You said Paul Snyder. The names are called Paul Royalty or Robert Snyder. Gomez: Robert Snyder. Sorry about that. Yes. Robert. The man that used to be with the cheese factory. Chair Suttmiller: Okay, we know who that is so good. Gomez: I do nominate. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Thank you. Robert, do you have anything to say to that? Snyder: No, but what position is for again. Chair Suttmiller: Vice-Chair. That means if I for some reason am not available you are in charge. Snyder: Well, then I'm gonna nominate Paul. 6 Utilities Customer Advisory Group Page 7 of 8 Regular Meeting Minutes February 24, 2021 Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Mr. Royalty, what do you have to stay? Royalty: I'm acceptable for the position if it's available. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. My take on any of these is a person who wants to do it would have my vote. Does anybody want to make a motion to nominate Mr. Paul Royalty for the position of Vice-Chair of the UCAG? Snyder: I so move. Ruiz: Excuse me, sorry. You can make the nomination at this meeting, but you have to take the vote on the agenda. She can add it to next month's agenda for action. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. We'll take a vote. I was thinking the nomination would take, yes. We will do the deed on next month, which is good. Okay. We can cancel that. My mistake on the vote. Mr. Royalty you are the choice of the committee and we will take the final action tomorrow in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order which require that this is a discussion item and you cannot vote on a discussion item, you have to vote on an action item. You'll be on the action item in the next one and we'll take the vote at that time. Thank you for being willing to take the position I appreciate. c. Update on Applications Received for a New UCAG Member Chair Suttmiller: Next, I'd like to get an update on the applications received for the position vacated by the Vice-Chair that resigned. Any discussion? Or who can update us on what's happening with that? I know there's two possible candidates for the position. I was wondering that you can tell us. Provencio: Chairman, Commissioners. The applicants names will be forwarded to the Mayor's office. It is the usual procedure that the Mayor will select the individual. Chair Suttmiller: Right. I just was just going, it's on the agenda and I just wondering whether there was any information for the Board. Not until he makes his decision. Provencio: Right. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. He makes his decision, they will be available for the next meeting, right? Provencio: I would believe so, depending on when that selection would come from the Mayor's office. Chair Suttmiller: Joe I'd ask that the award, when you get a final on that if you could let me know who the person is so I could contact them and welcome to the Board. 7 Utilities Customer Advisory Group Page 8 of 8 Regular Meeting Minutes February 24, 2021 Provencio: Certainly, Chairman. Tanya would provide that information and notification to the Committee. Chair Suttmiller: Okay, thank you. 8. Next Meeting Date: a. March 10, 2020 Chair Suttmiller: Next item is the next meeting date and I guess that is April 10th, right. Royalty: How about March the 10th. Castillo: March the 10th. I'm sorry. The next meeting, Yes, it says right on the agenda in front of me next meeting date March 10, 2021 will be the next meeting date. Is there any further comment or is anybody from the public come up since we first asked for public comment? 9. Adjournment: Chair Suttmiller: If not, we'll adjourn the meeting. Gomez: I so move. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. Snyder: I second. Chair Suttmiller: Okay. I'll begin the vote. Aye. Snyder: Aye. Gomez: Aye. Royalty: Aye. Chair Suttmiller: Okay, thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your patience, cooperation and putting up with me. I look forward to seeing you all next March 10th. We'll have a little bit more work, but it's good to be back. ______________________________________ Chairperson 8