Loading...
04-03-2001 4TH OF JULY COMMITTEE MEETING NOTES FOR APRIL 3, 2001 PRESENT: ELDON CHERRY, BILL BAI CHARD PARRA, CURTIS ROSEMOND, MARIO MEDINA,GUEST-DR.LOIN XWLEILAS CRUCES SYMPHONY,ROBERT CALDWELL-PUBLIC LIAISON ER AN BARBARA LOPEZ-RECORDING SECRETARY AA;S OE MARTINE �f Notes from the March 6th Co mnittee Meeting were approved. PARADE • Council has approved the new parade route • Eldon will mail out approximately 200 letters notifying property owners in the area,business owners will be notified in person. • Posters will be delivered to businesses. BANNERS • Banners will be sold to businesses,the "Site of the Electric Light Parade" and the sponsor's name will be printed on them. • Committee will purchase ten banners with the City logo • A $7,250 package will be presented to Matrix for sponsorship ($6,000 for parade sponsorship & $1,250 for purchase of five banners with Matrix logo on them) • The Committee talked about selling banners in groups of five Mario suggested selling the banners by what a business can afford, they may be able to buy one or two versus having to buy all five • Mario suggested leaving banners up only four months of the year, to save wear and tear on them. • Curtis said leaving them up would give sponsors year-round exposure • Curtis will get a sample banner made up and a price estimate to present to the Committee FIREWORKS • Eldon stated that Councillor Trowbridge had expressed concerns about fireworks going off during the parade, and asked the Committee for suggestions to control this. • Rob said that fireworks will be banned from the stage and parade area. • Eldon suggested an Ordinance banning fireworks in certain areas. • Rob suggested putting a"No Fireworks" statement in advertisements. • Another suggestion was to have police and fire personnel at the beginning of the parade announcing"no fireworks" BEVERAGEIVENDORS • Curtis to draft a letter for potential sponsors. • There will be no vendors selling any type of beverage,the vendor with the Lemonade stand who has participated in the past will be the only one allowed to sell his product. �'L tC • Richard asked the Committee if they thought that vendors hawking should be restricted from the Hadley area. Committee members decided that they should not be restricted. • There will be absolutely no beverage sales from any vendors. Beverage will be sold only by the beverage sponsor and the one exception"My Main Squeeze" lemonade vendor • Curtis suggested positioning beverage trailers as convenient as possible for customers • The Committee discussed that fountain drinks are probably better, but the beverage sponsor will most likely sell bottled product. ADVERTISING/MARKETING • Rob presented the Committee a letter sent by Starlight Amusements stating that they would like to participate in this years' event. Rob asked that the Committee make a decision to allow them to come back or try to find another carnival Mario made a call to Bennett Enterprises but they are committed elsewhere for the 4' The Committee agreed to let Starlight Amusements be part of the celebration with proof of insurance and the proper inspection paperwork. • Joe, Rob, and Dr Klein met with Ben Woods at NMSU and Rob received a call from Gary at NMSU that the University will provide, staffing, stage crews(stage hands are not for sure, because the University may have to pay them), a 40x50 stage with ramps,pipes&drapes, crowd control barriers, scrim, and concert chairs. Rob said that NMSU did not ask for anything in return,but they should be included as a sponsor in all media advertising. ENTERTAINMENT • Rob said that he has sent back the Fabulous Thunderbirds contract for signatures and they are scheduled to perform July 4' for a $15,000 fee • Dr Klein has the contract for the Las Cruces Symphony and Rob said that a Purchase Order for payment will be issued closer to the event. • Imagine has also been confirmed and will perform on July 3`d after the parade for a $5,000 fee • Comedian Gus Solis will put on a V2 hour to 45 minute show while the orchestra is setting up • Rob is still looking into a Youth-Toddler act. • Eldon asked about the presentation of the awards on the main stage The Committee suggested presenting awards during the 15 minute Symphony intermission. • Dr Klein asked if Rob had lined up the cannon booms need for the Symphony's performance, he informed Rob that he had contacted the ROTC but they don't have enough. Rob said that the City will choreograph fireworks as cannon booms and can work in at least 18 cues. Meeting was adjourned and next meeting was set for May 1, 2001