Loading...
03-06-2001 4 FOURTH OF JULY COMMITTEE MEETING MARCH 6, 2001 Present: Joe Martinez, Eldon Cherry, Curtis Rosemond, Bill Baird, Dr. Lonnie Klein-Las Cruces Symphony Music Director , Rob Caldwell-CLC Public Liaison Officer and Event Coordinator, and Barbara Lopez-CLC Recording Secretary Absent: Richard Parra and Mario Medina Notes from the February Committee Meeting were accepted Parade Eldon had some comments on the notes in regards to the Parade (he was not present at the last meeting), he stated that he felt that asking sponsors to judge the parade may seem like an impropriety, he suggested having sponsors award the prizes instead. Joe explained that at the last meeting Bill had said he was finding it difficult to recruit judges, the individuals he had contacted were not interested, so it was suggested that if he was unable to find judges, sponsors could be asked, since they have been willing participants in the past. Joe also agreed that having the sponsors award the prizes on the main stage on the 41 was a good idea, but that it should be more structured this year Eldon said he had some concerns about moving the viewing stand from the beginning of the parade to the festival area because he would like to have winners tallied as early as possible Joe answered that the move was suggested due to the speakers and set-up capability at the festival site Joe suggested a judges stand at the beginning of the parade, and a viewing stand for dignitaries, announcers, etc at the festival site (The Committee agreed) Joe informed the Committee that he and Rob had attended that City Council Meeting held on March 5, because the U S S S A Baseball Tournament was on the Agenda. He stated that Council voted unanimously to approve the Resolution. Rob informed the Committee that there was a Council Action Form and Resolution on the new parade route and vendor fees on the Agenda for approval at the next Council Meeting on March 19' He explained that he was given direction to send this to Council due to the changes in the parade route and vendor fees Rob explained the process and asked if the Committee could think of any other changes that are occurring (The Committee answered no) Rob asked Committee Members to attend, in particular the Parade and Vendor Chairs Rob said that he had received a call from Wayne Ward, owner of the auto shop on the corner of Solano and Madrid, he is concerned that the automobiles parked on the lot could be damaged by spectators at the parade Rob let him know that tentative plans are to set up the judges stand in that area. Mr Ward said he didn't have a problem with having the judges in the area because he felt that might provide some security Eldon said that he has been in contact with Mr Ward and will call him again. Eldon stated that he is going to hold off on the mailing of packets until after the City Council Meeting Beverage Rob and Curtis will work on a letter to both Pepsi and Coke asking for a proposal/offer and then will present to the Committee for a decision/approval of a beverage sponsor Street Festival Dr Klein showed the Committee a copy of the ad for the 4`h of July that will run in the Symphony's Brochure He stated that an attorney on the Symphony's Board is working on the contract and he will have it next week. Dr Klein asked if City busses could pick up the musicians in a designated area at NMSU so that they don't have to drive There will be about 80 musicians and parking could be a problem and some are from out of town and don't know where the event is being held (After some discussion, it was decided that the best solution would be for Dr Klein to charter a bus and include the cost in the contract) Rob stated that he had talked to the National Guard and they cannot provide the cannons that Dr Klein had requested at the last meeting he attended Dr Klein said that he basically just needs the cannon booms to coordinate with the music at the appropriate times, so if he can have some way to cue the firework team on when those go off, that would be sufficient (Rob will continue to look into the cannons or how to choreograph the booms to the performance) Dr Klein will also need a 40 ft. wide x 60 ft. deep stage, directions or a map to performance site, chairs, sound, and a backdrop Rob stated that the Committee needs to check back with NMSU on what their contribution to this community event will be Joe suggested meeting with Mr Ben Woods again, since they have already spoken to him. Dr Klein stated that he will also attend the meeting (A meeting will be scheduled for next week for Rob, Joe and Dr Klein to meet with Mr Woods) Vendors Waiting for Council approval of changes to be able to proceed. Advertising & Marketing Waiting for Council approval of changes to be able to proceed Curtis said that he does have the capability of printing banners Forty banners will cover the area from Hadley to Madrid on Solano Committee Members will all work on making contact with businesses to purchase the banners Entertainment Rob informed the Committee that he has received the contract for the Beetle Review The cost is $5,000 for the performance Meeting was adjourned.