Loading...
06-10-2002 1 Fourth of July Committee Meeting Notes of June 10,2002 Members Present: Curtis Rosemond, Tom Whatley, R.J. Decker,Udell Vigil—CLC Public Information Officer, Rob Caldwell—Public Liaison Officer, Barbara Lopez—Public Liaison Assistant/Recording Secretary Members Absent: Richard Parra Meeting Notes from May 20, 2002,were approved. Mr. R.J. Decker new Committee Member was introduced. 35 parade packets have been requested and mailed out to date. Eldon Cherry has agreed to help with parade staging on July 3,2002. A letter will be sent to him on behalf of the Committee requesting his assistance. Curtis stated that he would like sponsors to designate someone from their business to serve as parade judges. Barb to call AMTGUARD and request their assistance with parade again this year. Rob sent a sponsorship packet to Bob McNiel at El Paso Electric,but has not heard back from him yet. Contact was made with Mountain View Regional Hospital on sponsorship. They are not making any big contributions at this time, but they may be interested in a small contribution. Tom spoke to Sam's Marketing Department but they didn't commit to anything. There is an advertisement/parade entry form in the Thrifty Nickel this week. Rob has contacted radio stations and they are all running promos on the parade. Al Leumeyer at LC Radio will provide an announcer for the parade and 101 Gold will provide one also. Burger Time has committed to a$500.00 sponsorship, Sisbarro has not yet committed to sponsorship at this time. Tom will talk to Rick Nezzer about sponsorship and a judge for the parade. Parade award goal is$3000.00. Walmart will provide sponsorship with in-kind services as in the past. S&H RV will also sponsor with in-kind services and there is also sponsorship from the media in in-kind services. There will be a City Council Work Session on Wednesday, June 12, 2002,to discuss and get final approval on Fourth of July activities and expenditures. Council will need to approve the remaining bands which contracts have not yet been signed: Macho, Desperados and Arnold Cardon. Council had concerns on contracts being signed for national entertainment before final approval from Council was given for: Tower of Power,NB Riders and Freddy Fender. All expenditures including logistics, security, generators, staging, sound, lights, etc.will need to be approved by Council before purchasing. A list of what is to be covered at the Council Work Session will be given to Committee Members. Fireworks have been delivered and are in storage. Electricians have begun choreographing the show. Parks crews are cleaning the mortars. The supplier,Western Enterprises,was short some mortars. Firework Show will be approximately 22-23 minutes long. Tower of Power will be approximately 90 minutes long,with set-up, the show will most likely begin at 9:15 p.m. Fire works should begin around 10:30 to 10:45 p.m. The Street Fest will begin at 4:00 p.m. Hispano Chamber of Commerce has committed volunteers as drivers for entertainers to and from airport,hotels and event. Erlinda Portillo is the contact person for the HCC. Thirty Vendor Applications were mailed out. Committee asked that more be mailed to set up at the Street Fest and Electric Light Parade. Richard is getting calls, and he asked that they contact Barb for mailing of the application. Kevin Wise is no longer at Pepsi,he has taken another job out of state. Curtis said that Pepsi did not sound interested in participating as the Beverage Sponsor this year. He said he is waiting for a call back from Robert Bejarano at Coke. Udell asked for a breakdown on what the Beverage Sponsor provides as their sponsorship: • Volunteer Shirts • Cost Break on the product • Provided staff to assist with product throughout the event • Provide signage and product for volunteers and VIP area at no cost Non-profit groups get 20%of net sales to man the beverage booths for the Committee. Curtis has been in contact with five non-profit groups to help sell product. A group has contacted Rob to man the concessions at the Baseball Tournament. Curtis will handle all the non-profit groups assisting with sales at the event. Porta potties will need to be contracted after Council's approval. There is a possibility that the staging will cost more, up to$5,000.00, because of the late date they were contacted this year. Curtis said he would check with Ben Woods about providing us with the NMSU stage. Tom suggested talking to Barbara Hubbard and she may be able to assist with that. Curtis and Tom are going try to attend the Council Meeting on Wednesday. Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting set for June 17. A ( o co (�aw@o FOURTH OF JULY COMMITTEE MEETING NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT THERE WILL BE A FOURTH OF JULY COMMITTEE MEETING ON MONDAY,JUNE 10, 2002 12:00 NOON S&H RV & MOBILE HOME CENTER CONFERENCE ROOM 700 STERN DR. LAS CRUCES,NM 88005 AGENDA I. APPROVAL OF MAY 20, 2002 MEETING NOTES. H. INTRODUCTION OF NEW COMMITTEE MEMBER, R.J. DECKER. III. DISCUSSION OF ALL EVENT VENUES. 1. Parade 2. Street Fest 3. Fireworks Display 4. Vendors 5. Beverage 6. Entertainment 7. Logistics 8. Budget The City of Las Cruces will make every effort to provide reasonable accommodation(s) for people with disabilities who wish to attend a public meeting. Please notify the City at least 24 hours before the meeting. Telephone 541-2000 or TTY number, 541-2182. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER P.O. Box 20000 LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO 88004-9002 Phone(505)541-2000