Loading...
01-09-2001 Ott- • a �6; 4TH OF JULY COMMITTEE MEETING JANUARY 9,2001 PRESENT. JOE MARTINEZ, ELDON CHERRY,BILL BAIRD,CURTIS ROSEMOND,DR. LONNIE KLEIN-LAS CRUCES SYMPHONY MUSIC DIRECTOR,ROB CALDWELL-CLC PLO/4TH OF JULY EVENT COORDINATOR, BARBARA LOPEZ-RECORDING SECRETARY ABSENT. RICHARD PARRA AND MARIO MEDINA Notes from December 5'Meeting were approved. PERFORMANCE BY LAS CRUCES SYMPHONY Dr. Lonnie Klein gave an overview of the Las Cruces Symphony and Orchestra: • Members are all paid professionals, some are students paid with stipends. The cost is about$350-$400 per player • $15,000 will cover the approximately 70 players that will be available for the summer event. The $15,000 is payment for three services; a rehearsal, a dress rehearsal and the actual performance. Payment will be made regardless of the weather In case of inclement weather there will be a 15-20 mmute delay before cancellation. • The Symphony will play a variety of classics,pop, show tunes and patriotic music and would like to incorporate fireworks and cannon booms in the presentation. (Dr Klein's suggestion to the Committee is to contact either the National Guard or ROTC to provide the cannon and assist with coordination). • The Orchestra will be paid the night of the performance,Dr Klein will pay all performers and incidentals. He will provide an itemized bill (up to$17,500)for what is being paid for; harpist,orchestra and sound engineer • The performance will last approximately 75 minutes with one intermission, 8.00-8 45 pm and 9.00-9.45 pm. What will be needed for performance: • Exceptional sound and lighting is imperative. (Rob stated that South Co Sound will provide services with top of the line service and equipment). • A very large stage that can accommodate risers, 70 musicians, instruments,piano, etc. (Rob said the largest stage available is a 40x40 stage with roof). • Five to six technicians for set-up(with a maximum time of 45 minutes for set-up) • Microphones at every other chair • A trailer/semi trailer will be needed for storage of the players personal items and also a place for cover for players and instruments in case of inclement weather Dr.Klein/Symphony will provide: • An exceptional show • Stage hands and sound engineer • A Rider and Contract to the Committee and City of Las Cruces officials. • Dr Klein will help with whatever publicity possible,to include plugging the event in the Symphony's brochure with a possible full page color ad(Dr Klein will need a City logo for ad, Eldon requested copies to insert in the 4'of July packets) Joe suggested that NMSU might want to co-sponsor the Symphony's performance as their contribution to this community event. Dr Klein suggested going directly to Dr Gogue with a proposal. (A meeting will be set up for Joe, Rob, Mayor Smith and Dr Klein to meet with Dr Gogue) Dr Klein concluded his presentation/discussion and thanked the Committee for this opportunity Bill asked if there was a possibility of setting up flyovers.Joe said that he would contact Col. Frank about contacts for the flyovers but because of the holiday, they are usually committed to stay on base. Joe suggested another option would be to contact Mr Frank Borman to do a flyover with his jet. PARADE A memo has been typed up(on behalf of the Committee)and will be sent to Mayor Smith and City Council informing them of the change, if we don't hear a response or resistance by next month's meeting,then promotion of the change will begin. The subject of Parade Marshal was brought up. Joe suggested Brigadier General Fleur of White Sands Missile Range or Dr Gogue,NMSU President. Protocol must be followed if Gen.Fleur is to be asked to serve as Parade Marshal,the Mayor will need to make the formal invitation. (A letter will be submitted to Mayor Smith to begin the process) Curtis will get Ms. New Mexico Teen USA and Ms.New Mexico USA to participate in the parade Eldon asked if the City was planning on entering a float this year Rob responded that the City Manager assigns a Department to work on afloat, and that has not occurred as of this time. Eldon stated that he would like to get surrounding cities to enter a float. Joe suggested that Eldon send out letters to the Mayors of Hatch, etc and contact Dora Dominquez at the Chamber of Commerce for help in getting this information out. Rob suggested setting up a Press Conference to get out information on the Parade changes. He stated that Committee Members should try to publicize as much as possible by going on TV stations and doing promotions on radio stations. He told the Committee to be prepared for some flack from the public on the changes. Eldon suggested that someone be present on July 3'at the old Parade route in inform people that might not be aware of the change,and also put up signage. BEVERAGE SPONSOR The question was asked if Pepsi gave a cash contribution last year Curtis answered that he was told that they purchased banners,t-shirts,product for VIP area and in-kind services. Rob said that a formal letter was sent out to Coke and Pepsi asking what they could provide for the event for exclusive sponsorship The Committee then decided to go with Pepsi last year Rob suggested since Curtis is handling Beverage this year that he can maybe tie-in a promotion with Walmart of some sort. Curtis to work on proposals to potential sponsors. (Barb is to get Curtis informationRetters from the past to give Curtis some idea of format and procedure) Eldon stated that he would like to include all promo information in the Parade packets/mail-outs. (Barb to get him past direct mailing lists) USSSA PROPOSAL Rob asked for the Committee to check the hand-out(Proposal),the Committee agreed that it was fine as is. Rob stated that it will go back to USSSA for signatures,then the City's Legal Department will review it and then to the City Manager for his signature with a letter of recommendation from the Committee. Curtis motioned to adjourn the meeting and Bill seconded. Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting will be held on February 6th.